Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
From user experience to date I recommend setting view to 3D and viewpoint HIGH.
This will avoid the mishap with mine at J17 M60 where it took me off and back on in heavy traffic costing much time.
This view enables enough road ahead to be in view to avoid following the instruction.
Been out today all excellent and the wife is impressed.

CA_01181415291423-M.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I just for the practice downloaded the latest truck map files from NAVI and replaced the onboard files with them and as you can see the date of their latest offering is quite OLD
uk%20maps-M.png

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I just for the practice downloaded the latest truck map files from NAVI and replaced the onboard files with them and as you can see the date of their latest offering is quite OLD
Hi Andy,

When I questioned Navibuzz on that issue, and on the 2011 date of the software, this was their reply....... 'hi, J#####, thank you for your message. for this problem, we did contact the supplier, they told us the 2012.5 is not the date, but the versions for the map, so pls understand. regards, misty '

and, the map for the gps is 2013. pls have a check. hope to hear from you soon. regards, misty'

I couldn't find any files dated 2013, but I'm all up to date now, (as said earlier) thanks to Lunarman (John). :Smile:

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Had a test of mine the other day and all was good. Today I used it to get me home from Chester area and it took 8 mins or so to get a GPS signal. Luckily I knew where to go but I was a good 8 mile away from start position till it locked on

Anyone else had this? Have to check it out a bit maybe just a glitch

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Yes. Mine sometimes takes what seems to be an age before it locks onto the satellites.

John

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My Garmin seems to take forever sometimes, it's even worse if I start driving. I did another side by side comparison yesterday. Garmin locked on first but the 7" wasn't far behind. Both used the same route avoiding crossing over a main road to turn into a minor road.
If I had one criticism of the 7" one, it's that the screen isn't as bright as my Garmin and the route to follow isn't in a contrasting colour. ok, that's two, but at 1/4 the price I'm not complaining
Allan

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Allan,

Have you tried changing the backlighting in "Display settings" or the colour scheme in "Map Settings" you may find something that suits you better.

John

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Had a test of mine the other day and all was good. Today I used it to get me home from Chester area and it took 8 mins or so to get a GPS signal. Luckily I knew where to go but I was a good 8 mile away from start position till it locked on

Anyone else had this? Have to check it out a bit maybe just a glitch

Yes, my Garmin does this sometimes. Very annoying. :thumbdown: Not had it with the Chinese trucker one, though.

Wyn

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I used it twice today including the return from Blackpool to Leeds.
It was flawless this time and the most appreciable aspect is that when you go off course it re calculates lightning fast with a new route UNLIKE my tomtom 1005 which constantly tries to take you back even after 50 miles or more
The only problem I find with this is,it doesn't tell you you have gone wrong just finds a new route!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The only problem I find with this is,it doesn't tell you you have gone wrong just finds a new route!
The fact that it tells you it is recalculating is a clue :roflmto:
Plus the big blue arrow being off the route is another

Last edited:

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
7" Chineses Sat Nav

Hi there

I hope there's still some genned up folk keeping an eye on this thread..
I have just bought and updated my sat nav after reading all the good reviews on here and what a BARGAIN PRICE

My question is: does the road width limits, height, length etc(dimensions of my motorhome) only work if your vehicle is "logged" in as a truck- in "truck mode", or will the dimensions still be considered for route planning if I am "logged" in as a car-(motorhome dimensions used).

The reason being I would like the same access to roads a car has, I may need at some times: to travel along a private road or one that is not a bus route. Being logged as a lorry will exclude me from certain types of roads, but my size 10ft tall- 7ft 6ins wide- and 25ft long would still in theory allow me to use them.
Many thanks

Last edited:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Hi

My old pre modern technology brain is aching.

Can anyone tell me ( in non technical language) how to put a post code destination into the Chinese sat nav 7" thingy?

I think I have found/sorted all the other set up procedures etc., but can`t seem to input UK post codes.

Sorry for being thick.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
It can be done. Cant remember how at the moment. I'll go and take the sat nav out of the van and refresh my memory. ( of course, while I'm out, someone will come on here and tell you how!)
Allan

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Ok, here we go. From Main Map screen, press Menu.
Press Find
Find Address
Town

It asks you to Enter Town or Postcode.

Sorted

Allan

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
hey guys wot about my previous question for the truck routing?

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

If it works correctly then it should avoid roads which will possibly pose a problem for a truck only if there is no alternative - so should enable use of a narrow road into a caravan site. It should, of course, always avoid routes which will definitely cause a problem (e.g. bridge too low).

The extent to which this works and how a unit copes with the former has always been the source of scepticism for me and is why I have had a punt on the Navibuzz unit but refused to buy one of the more expensive ones :Smile: When I get to use it I shall find out how good it is in practice ::bigsmile:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I think that the dimensions that you have entered against each vehicle category are more important than the type of vehicle. If you add your MH as a lorry and state the size and weight, I believe that it would base your route on the weight and size limits of the roads you could travel on otherwise a 3.5 tonne local delivery lorry would have the same restrictions on routes as a 40 tonne juggernaut.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We used ours for our weekend jaunt and found it great apart from 3 problems:

1) We were within 1 mile of our destination when I did a U turn to pop into an award winning shop which I saw at the side of the road. As I had turned around, the GPS recalculated the trip based on the direction of travel and prepared a new route approx. 15 miles longer - it did not suggest that I turned around.

Similarly when we reached the destination, I deliberately went past it and rather than saying do a u turn, it gave me a new 20 mile route to take me back the 100m that I had overshot.

2) When returning home, we were within 3 miles of our house and the SAT NAV gave us a route that I knew to be longer and was calculated at 4 miles so I took the normal route and it quickly gave me the route that I was on with a distance of 2.5 miles.

3) The only way I can exit Windows CE is to shut the device down; anyone else found a way of exiting it?

I like the device but am not too keen on not having the suggestions to make U turns or not always being given the shortest route - I know that some others have experienced these problems but is it widespread?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Did 500 miles with mine at the weekend it was fine. Finished by taking m son back to University in Sheffield was facing the other way and it took me a way I wasnt expecting on the A road to Chesterfield that being said it was a lot quicker than I thought and probably just as quich as turning around. When I was using my tom tom it was a lot more likely to suggest turning around perhaps its to do with the settings mine shows an image of a truck as the position marker at present this is what came on when I first used it I changed the weight etc to a car but wonder if it routes depending on what vehicle class it thinks youre using?.
Overall its great I like the lane indication at junctions the maps are a lot more up to date than mt tom tom (too tight to pay for an upgrade the maps alone would cost more than the 7" satnav) and it can take a while to lock on to the gps signal but for 65 quid its great. Just need to get around to linking it to my pc

David

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Below, is a copy of an email detailing my findings, which I sent to another Funster.

I used the Truck maps, and entered the MH dimensions, but reduced the weight to 3.4T, as at 3.5T or above, it won't let me access 7.5T weight limits, as I found with an historic bridge near us. It wants to take me on a 9 mile detour, when the bridge is only 1 mile away. I did try the same using Bus settings, but it did exactly the same. The problem is, that by entering a lower weight, it did take me down Church Lane Ashwicken, (really narrow and twisty) instead of the wider East Winch Rd. However, heating oil tankers and refuse trucks use Church Lane to service residents, so it wasn't a problem for me in the MH, (HGV1 & PSV1 experienced).

I found the TTS voice to be a bit croaky, and switched to the normal female voice, however, that was quieter and wasn't so informative, so I reverted back to the TTS voice. On the FM setting through the cab stereo, the TTS voice sounded much clearer.

My problem is that I can't seem to set a warning for the speed limit applicable to the type of road I am on, eg, on a single carriageway, my maximum speed limit is 80Kmh (50Mph), but because I programmed 3.4T instead of 5T, the unit only recognises the maximum speed for the lower weight , which is 95Kmh (60Mph)

BTW, the route down Church lane was done at a 10-15mph crawl, but using East Winch Rd on the way back, the route was done at a more respectable 30-35mph.

I haven't been anywhere else, to really give it a good all round test. :Sad:

HTH,

Jock.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Similarly when we reached the destination, I deliberately went past it and rather than saying do a u turn, it gave me a new 20 mile route to take me back the 100m that I had overshot.

In the sys.txt file (found in the primo folder) there is a statement - allow_uturn=0 if you change it to =1 it may do what you want.

I have not tested it myself perhaps you could try and let us all know.

John

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
In the sys.txt file (found in the primo folder) there is a statement - allow_uturn=0 if you change it to =1 it may do what you want.

I have not tested it myself perhaps you could try and let us all know.

John

Thanks for the advice which I tried today. Unfortunately, it did not seem to make any difference.

I set Sainsburys as my destination and it gave me a route of 2.3 miles. I turned away from the route and it recalculated another route of 2.3 miles based on my new direction which was not surprising as there are a number of different options to get there.

I ignored that route and turned away from that route and it gave me a new route of 23 miles (twenty three) which bamboozeld me as I knew that even if it did not want to take 3 routes that would have been 5 miles, there were two around 8 that would have taken me to the same Sainsburys.

I tried these options with uturn=0 and uturn=1

I also turned the lorry settings to a small car size but I couldn't change the type of vehicle from lorry to car - by then I was getting a bit peeved and disappointed with the system.

What now? I don't want to be taken on routes that are 20 miles out of my way and the only time that I have been told to make a U turn or turn back is when I deliberately went up our dead-end roads to see what it would do.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Just had a very encouraging email from Dotsontour - they used the Chinese truck satnav to take them to the Algarve, and in Dave's words 'without missing a beat'. Thiers arrived just before they set off and it worked well - without too much of a practice run by the sounds of it.
:thumb:

Just thought I would give a little feedback for real.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back