Truck sat nav... again, sorry (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Still deciding what to do with regard to a truck sat nav.

There is a built in truck sat nav in the vehicle but it is set into the curve of the dash so that it isn't easy for whoever isn't driving to enter co-ordinates. We'll set the built in one at the beginning of each trip but could do with another for the passenger to be able to modify the destination as required on the move - we do that a lot.

We have a Garmin Camper which shows ACSI sites, etc. however it has taken us down some places where we'd really rather not go. We have been looking at the Garmin Dezl 770LMT-D. My question is... is it possible to set up the truck sat nav to show sites? I know they show POI's but I guess this isn't the same, or is it?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
IMHO none of the Truck Navs are infallible, so you should always check routes.
I use the standard tomtom go on android. it only costs 14.95 for a year including worldwide maps, traffic and speed cameras

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, we'll use common sense but the vehicle us 7.5 tonne so we will need a truck sat nav.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm going to take a guess and say that the maps and routing software in the Garmin truck navs are going to be much the same, if not identical, to what's in your Camper already. I have the 660 version and yes, it will occasionally come up with some loony routes but 'they all do that, sir'.

I assume you've tried inputting your vehicle dimensions larger than they actually are to see if that reduces the number of wayward routing solutions?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Why would you expect a Truck SatNav to be any better than the one you have already. They all use the same data and not all of it is correct. The SatNav does not have a clue what you are doing it is just number crunching to see if it can save 30 seconds or 10m on a route. Sensible they are not. They love stupid diversions like exiting a main road to take you on a tour of the local housing estate because someone has not told the map people that a new road has been built.

Road Sign.png

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We have the tomtom 6000 truck sat nav. you can add all campsites (Acsi) as POI's from here http://www.archiescampings.eu
had the unit for a few years and have to say never had a problem with it

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Garmin Dezl and have used both in trucks and my RV , the only thing I would say against it is that it does tend to err on the safe side , in the RV I also run another garmin without the size parameters entered ,at the same time as the DEZL and then make a decision at the time as the DEZL advises any conflict en route when not avoidable to get to specific destination at start of route .

There is plenty of space for POi for campsites , stellplatze etc .

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Why would you expect a Truck SatNav to be any better than the one you have already. They all use the same data and not all of it is correct. The SatNav does not have a clue what you are doing it is just number crunching to see if it can save 30 seconds or 10m on a route. Sensible they are not. They love stupid diversions like exiting a main road to take you on a tour of the local housing estate because someone has not told the map people that a new road has been built.

View attachment 196160

I thought the truck sat nav used data specific to large vehicles. Is this not correct?

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Garmin Dezl and have used both in trucks and my RV , the only thing I would say against it is that it does tend to err on the safe side , in the RV I also run another garmin without the size parameters entered ,at the same time as the DEZL and then make a decision at the time as the DEZL advises any conflict en route when not avoidable to get to specific destination at start of route .

There is plenty of space for POi for campsites , stellplatze etc .

Thanks for your info..

Erring on the side of caution seems a good idea... we were taken into some really tight places on our last trip. We are both experienced, confident drivers but at the end of the day if the vehicle won't fit between two solid walls, it won't fit not matter how skilled! Not something we wish to repeat

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Garmin camper 770lmt-d is what we use and found it to be excellent it’s not the dezl version but you still have to use common sense and detour if you are unhappy it soon reroutes if you go off the designated road.(y)(y)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have a Snooper S600 Truck version, I just bought the Camping chip for it. Set it up for axle weight, length and height.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

View attachment 196160

Is the truck data the same as for a 'normal' sat nav?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Is the truck data the same as for a 'normal' sat nav?

Yes .. With and IGO System the maps are the same but there is an extra file with the maps that turns on the truck settings. The usual algorithm used is Dijkstra's algorithm for finding the least-cost path between two nodes in a weighted graph or network. Your GPS does not use the pretty display to work it out all it looks at is a series of points ( Vector Maps )

be213111814b3b18d9e2ceedbcd0377b-650-80.jpg

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for the info Q4.

So, have I got this right? If I enter our weight and dimensions into our existing Camper Garmin both the truck sat nav and the Garmin are going to take us down the exact same route?

You mention an additional file on the IGO system which turns on the truck settings - are these settings purely the length/height/width/weight data or is there something unique to the truck settings. Also, is the IGO system the same as the Garmin Dezl?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back