Truck Camper or Demountable (1 Viewer)

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
I have been thinking that this might be a good idea. A double cab pick up and a demountable truck camper seems to offer the best of both worlds...

Have any of you got one?

Are they any good?

What are the good and bad points?

What are the good makes?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have been thinking that this might be a good idea.

I've not got one but they do look good. You get a motorhome. You get transport when you get there.

I've just described a caravan, which is much cheaper.

A caravan can be towed by the family car.

A motorhome, which I do have is "get up and go", ideal for touring, less so for long stays.

That does not help you one bit, that's what you get for free :)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
The sundowners on here have one along with their 5er

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
We hired one of these to tour the Yukon and Alaska for a few weeks and loved it. The truck was a Ford 350 (large American) and the demountable an Adventurer.

Perfect for 2 people - not sure it would be any good for more. Easy to demount, comfortable accomodation, all mod cons.

A company called Niche Marketing at Louth do them here.

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
:Smile: I have one Camper (demountable as you call it in UK) on US truck. It is my second camper, the first a NordStar (Sweden origin !!) on a dodge ram 4x4, I went to Russia (from St Petersbourg to Perm ), nice and fortunately it was a a big US truck because the roads are more like African than European ! Now I have a US camper on Chevrolet Silverado (from 3 months ago), very nice, pleasant. One advantage is a modularity and the economy, you have two "vehicles" and one insurance ! Other advantage with a 4x4 truck you can go everywhere or almost. If you go in camping you let your camper on his "feet" and go with your "car" ! With a good brand you have a good insulation, good comfort and accesories .
Inconvenient it is perfect for two or exceptionaly 3 with child, but no 4 or 5 persons !
other inconvenient, little, You need little usually to load the camper.
Here some pictures:
EXTERIOR
Link Removed

INTERIOR

Link Removed
Link Removed

Link Removed
Link Removed

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
:Smile: I add from 1995 to 2007 I had three Motorhomes : my first a CI Mizar 160 (you call it Pegaso i believe) during 3 years I drove 160 000 km ! my second a Mobilvetta Euroyacht 195, only 75000 km (nice RV but family stories ..), my third a Rapido 710, 100 000 km.
Now I would not a new MotorHome (exept gratis ::bigsmile:), the campers are perfect for me, perhaps If I bought a new it would be biggest, but in France it is a real problem with the weight (for you too if you are young driver !), now I have no solution to solve this difficulty !
If you want to know some specificities about US or European camper (there is some differences) let me know.

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Edgie
As John said, we have a Dodge Ram diesel double cab, with this we pull our 5th wheel (that we now live in) we also have an American truck camper, it's quite big and heavy, so not as good as, say our Land Rover for "extreme" conditions. Our Dodge is 4X4 so is still pretty good in the mire!.
We LOVE the truck camper, and use any excuse to use it!! We only need about 1 1/2-- 2 hours to load in food, clothes and put the camper on the truck, we leave all our bedding ,tins and packets of food etc. onboard, we have an electric blanket, so in this sort of weather our bed is not damp.(We have a genny so can be independant)
We had to be at Newark showground last Saturday, so took the camper and spent the weekend in it.
Nigel & Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Here is a picture of the exterior of ours, no pictures taken of the interior yet.

Never attached pictures before, so we apologise if you can't see it.

Nigel and Pamala

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Must admit ive been thinking along the same lines but the Lightning is only a 1/2 ton truck so it wont carry a gert big monster of a camper :cry: but should be big enough for me, wifee and the short one (except shes not so short anymore :ROFLMAO:)

Am off to the USA in July :thumb: and will be looking at em whilst we are over there. :winky:

My main problem is convincing wifee:Eeek:.........dont hold your breath :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Edgie

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks to all of you for your replies and pics :thumb:

I notice you all have American pick up's, I am looking more at European Pick up's

Ford Ranger
Mazda B
Mitsubishi L200
Nissan Navara

Any thoughts on the correct unit for one of these?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I fancy one if I could get a full size sofa to lie on in the evenings.

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
Europeans pick-up ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: too little !
No, seriously, Ford (or mazda his the brother) or toyota, for these pick-up you need only an European camper, for me only three brands have the good quality (there is a french camper but I do not like it.)
here the link in English to ARTICA CAMPER ( in my opinion the best)
Link Removed

Other good brand Tischer here the link in English
Link Removed

here the Nord Star English website (with other name but it is a Nord Star !!
Demountable campers from NSR Leisure
here the link in german
Link Removed

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Cheyne-----upmarkethippy sold a very nice truck camper last week, it was very light and made to suit a euro style truck.(although it is on a Ford F250 now.) Generally, but not allways, the US made ones are very heavy. There are some REALLY good deals at the moment on new TCs in the 'states , especially with the more basic models, it's the height of the weight that is important to watch, but most euro-style trucks will carry 1ton. I don't know if there are any non american trucks with double cab and 8ft bed, so you will probably have to look for a TC suitable for 6ft bed, (or settle for a single cab)
As we said before, we look for any excuse to use ours, (it is soooooo much better with 4X4) the unit is so easy to use, and totally independant.
Nigel & Pamala

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I did have one, an Artica on a Navara. It was a pig to drive, do the maths, it's always at maximum load, tail heavy the bonnet bobbed up and down constantly

Eventually the Navara suffered a cracked chassis, I saw other people with the same problem so sold up. I consider it a flawed concept, unless maybe if the pick-up has a carrying capacity of at least twice the weight of the demountable with ALL you stuff loaded!

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
:RollEyes: I think that the best solution is the combo of Nigel (Sundowners), big truck 2500 diesel (not too expensive to buy it and when you drive not not too much thirsty !) and a big demountable as his with slide.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , in the past i have had 2 suntrekker demountables .had them on a toyota n a vw transporter pickup. very handy makes use of works truck. suntrekker were made in the end by island plastics on isle of wight think they still do them. lack storage is the only problemi know of.
dazzer you may find half ton isnt enough pay load even the small ones are quite heavy. the newer suntrekker is all fibre glass try google island plastics for weights. cheers alan.
ps. just like a 5er only one road tax .

grandpabeard

Free Member
Jul 28, 2009
Solihull West Midland
Funster No
MH
demountable
Exp
since May 2009
Hi We bought an Apollo demountable a few months ago for our retirement.:Cool: we have had a great time so far. Still learning and need an awning but some things have to wait. I put it onto a Nissan Navara and found it quite easy to drive. Hope to see some of you at Lake Garda next year. Trying to put some pics on hope you will be able to see them::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back