Troubleshooting Nikkai wireless reversing camera (1 Viewer)

Carolmotor

Free Member
Sep 23, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I have had a Nikkai 2.4ghz wireless reversing camera on my motorhome for 5 years. The picture on the monitor stopped coming on and it displayed nothing more than a blue screen which would then turn off and the blue LED light would flash. Believing it was broken, I purchased a new Nikkai reversing camera which was an exact replacement. I have tried fitting this new one and am faced with the exact same problem of a blue screen which turns off to leave a blue flashing light. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sounds like the monitor isn't receiving a signal? Assuming camera has power the receiver in the monitor could be faulty. The best way to find the fault would be to have both devices off the van, near each other, and powered up. With all variables removed if you have the same problem it will be the monitor (or a faulty new camera, or camera and monitor incompatible.]).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not what you are asking, nor probably what you want to hear.. but in my experience, wireless camera systems are a pain at the best of times.. Cut your losses and fit a quality 'hard wired' camera system..

and welcome to fun.. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Carolmotor

Free Member
Sep 23, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Thanks for your suggestions, my husband is going to try to sort it out. I'm ready for the moaning and swearing if things don't go right. May end up getting a proper one fitted. :rolleyes:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
In my experience, nothing with the name Nikkai works very well.
You were lucky to get 5 years out of it, go for a fully wired unit next.
Allan

OP
OP
C

Carolmotor

Free Member
Sep 23, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
All fixed he managed to find a break in a wire between the screen and another part. After taking part of the motorhome to bits to get to it, it's now all fixed. Just hope it lasts.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Might be worth getting a spare cheap camera too - we had a similar problem and it ended up being caused by some moisture getting into the camera itself. They are very cheap off Ebay so it pays to have a spare as we found out!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Just had to buy another of these cheap so-called number plate cameras myself.

Took Harriet for a new tyre on Tuesday and there was fogging in the camera, when I got out and looked the clear lens cover has hairline cracks in it and there is condensation inside the lens cover, not sure how old it is.

Would have preferred to fit a better quality camera but whoever fitted the original used 6" nail -sized screws so will fit the new one in the same place to save more empty holes possibly attracting damp.

The original 5mtr cable is still in the cupboard so, with the new 5mtr cable that comes with the camera, I am going to try a solid wired connection this time to try and avoid the occasional break-up of signal the wireless system suffers.

Hymie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back