Trouble with Dora (1 Viewer)

LynneP22

Free Member
Feb 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Renault Cassini tI
Hello Dora is nearly 2 years old. We love her. But ... she’s had 3 batteries and at Christmas a new alternator. The battery drain in the winter is crazy. I start her up every 2 -3 weeks. The dealer said flick the isolator switch- done.it was flat before Xmas and we were using her for Boxing Day ( until lockdown changed ) and No Renault garage could take her as she’s too big. So paid a garage to repair her- they said alternator was burnt out and dangerous. New one fitted. 1 month later she’s flat again. Now booked into a Renault garage I have found that will take her- this week - once we get the break down guys to get her going. Motorhome garage say it must be the Renault engine. I don’t understand engines just frightened of a huge Bill. She is a Luna who went bust so no habitation warranty!!

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I had a problem with the battery going flat about every four weeks - until I fitted a 100w solar panel and battery master. Best investment ever on the MH. My MH sits on the drive with no EHU but that solar panel keeps the MH and leisure batteries topped up all year, even in the dullest weather during the winter.My MH is now 10 years old, and still on the original MH battery (for now!). It's due a service this week and if it needs a new battery I can't really complain.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Yes, solar is (probably) the way to go.....do you have room on your ’van roof?

(and Welcome from chilly Ciren!(y))

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Thought i would give you your 1st like.
Hope you get Dora sorted soon so you and all of us can get out and about again.
:welcome4: from Merseyside

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Starting up every few weeks and leaving it to tick over or rev for a bit is going to do very little to put charge in the batteries, also on tickover may do damage to things like the DPF or Bore glaze (dont know what that is but its always mentioned).

A solar panel will help but even in winter would still need some EHU mains charge now and again.

I would change your profile to say Lunar rather than Renault, gives people a better idea on what you have (y)
Putting your rough location also helps to get local recommendations (y)

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
The Renault part of the motorhome should still be under manufacturers warranty, if the alternator was faulty I would
have expected that to be covered.
sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-109.gif

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I lost a few batteries until I got the message re Solar & Battery Master, Our van has been parked up since Dec 2019 but with 300w of solar on the roof all 3 leisure & the cab batteries are in good condition.

Still starts on the first turn, solar cost has been far cheaper than replacing batteries again and again.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hello and welcome, hope you also find out what is causing the drain. Solar and battery master recommended by me too.

derek mills

Free Member
Feb 16, 2021
Berwick-Upon-Tweed
Funster No
MH
Talisman Autosleeper
Hi, ive had a similar issue with battery drain. I have a 120W solar panel which keeps the batteries tip top when parked on the drive, however it is now in covered storage and the battery is near dead overtime I go to see it. So I made sure it was fully charged from there mains charger overnight and now I disconnect the negative terminal when I leave it. Ive just been today and the battery is still full. It only takes a moment to take off the negative terminal whilst in storage.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
My battery drain was the radio. I now take the front off. Seems to have solved it. Small drain from the alarm but have to live with that😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back