Trouble with Airbag warning lights on a Fiat Ducato (1 Viewer)

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
Anyone had trouble with the Airbag warning lights coming on on a Fiat Ducato cab? We can't get it through the MOT with this on and no one knows how to fix it? Many thanks, Terri

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
My Fiat suffered this failure just before it was due it's Mot, had to replace the
airbag ECU. It appears to becoming a common fault on recent Fiats.
There is another thread on here about the ECU failure and the name of a company who repair the unit.

Ray

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Our airbag ecu failed at just over 3 years of age / less than 9000 miles, thankfully Peugeot made a significant contribution to it's replacement.

Some companies offer a reflash service which can often, but not always, fix the fault.

A new ecu is circa £250 plus labour fitted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Do a search on here. I had mine repaired by company in Liverpool for about £50. It awkward but easy to remove but to be sure disconnect the battery. It's fixed to the floor just above the battery.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
have you tried wriggeling the plug under the seat and unplugging it time or two

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
have you tried wriggeling the plug under the seat and unplugging it time or two
did the thanks mean it worked, because it is a pretty common problem with lots of motors, my renault self build ambulance does it about every 5 times i start it, but a quick tug on the wires cures it.
actually all it means is the airbag wont go off in an accident not that its going to go off at the wrong time.

OP
OP
TerriSpirit

TerriSpirit

Free Member
Aug 10, 2017
Chelmsford. Essex
Funster No
did the thanks mean it worked, because it is a pretty common problem with lots of motors, my renault self build ambulance does it about every 5 times i start it, but a quick tug on the wires cures it.
actually all it means is the airbag wont go off in an accident not that its going to go off at the wrong time.
No, the thank you meant that's for the tip, but we have already tried everything we can to fix it. Various people have told us all sorts of tricks but none work o_O It's off to the main dealers for a check will will probably mean a new ECU. Thanks though (y)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
In case anyone is using the search function to lookup a fix for airbag warning lights.
My 2008 Ducati had an intermittent fault - sometimes the light on the dash would come on then go off of it's own accord. Eventually it stayed on permanently and the mot was due.
Disconnected all the plugs on the airbag system and cleaned them with switch cleaner but still the light remained on.
Called out an auto sparks and his magic device said it had been an underseat resistance problem but that was now fixed but he told me that the airbag control(ecu) won't reset itself after a fault is cleared it actually needs the fault codes reset and cleared.
So I had fixed the cause but it still needed intervention to switch the light off.
Anyone know of a cheap Odbll reader that will access the airbag ecu?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Yeah I was going to try them but when I had an online chat with them they said £60 without any guarantee that they would be able to fix it.
Although now knowing what the problem was I am sure that they could have done.
It did cost me £20 for 5 mins work by the auto sparks.

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
Took the mh for it's first ride out in six months on 1st April, airbag fault warning light stayed on. No chance the cause was low battery, as some have reported, as solar and ehu kept the battery's in good nick over winter.
Checked all connections under both cab seats, they seem ok. Connected my cheapo fault finder to the obd2 port, no faults!
Will probably telephone the Liverpool experts on Tuesday after Easter for some advice

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Took the mh for it's first ride out in six months on 1st April, airbag fault warning light stayed on. No chance the cause was low battery, as some have reported, as solar and ehu kept the battery's in good nick over winter.
Checked all connections under both cab seats, they seem ok. Connected my cheapo fault finder to the obd2 port, no faults!
Will probably telephone the Liverpool experts on Tuesday after Easter for some advice
Ours came on like that, first run out after first lockdown, we have solar and battery master. Report was high voltage. ECU too sensitive we think☹️
0D34124E-74B5-4F3F-BA1C-8F8B09ADAB67.jpeg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
14.4v is pretty normal for a battery being charged so 14.6v doesn't seem very high and probably well within measurement tolerance
That’s what we thought but that is what the report says. It definitely was not a low battery and came on after a run.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
That’s what we thought but that is what the report says. It definitely was not a low battery and came on after a run.
Just a bit odd that the 14.6v happened a long time and 1500 miles before the ECU was tested

richboundsd

Free Member
Jan 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
fiat
Had mine repaired at crash data lasted 6 weeks and went again they refused to honour the 3 month warrenty.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
They could be susceptible to transient high voltage pulses just after the starter motor stops, the processor throws up a fault code but doesn't record the peak voltage... Just a guess, poor design whatever it is.

Jezlar

Free Member
Jan 20, 2017
Exeter
Funster No
MH
Marquis Majestic 180
Exp
Ours came on like that, first run out after first lockdown, we have solar and battery master. Report was high voltage. ECU too sensitive we think☹️
View attachment 480362

With apologies if this is a bit of a thread hijack, but, after five relatively trouble-free years owning our 2012 Peugeot Boxer-based Autoquest 180, we have recently joined this unhappy and apparently growing club of airbag ECU fault victims :crying1:

A similar story to many others... Airbag failure light came on suddenly when starting the motorhome one day before Christmas and remained on, despite attempting to clear it by driving the vehicle and doing a controlled reboot of the main system (e.g. http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/peugeot_bsi_reboot_procedure.htm). I enlisted the help of a mobile sparks whose two professional scanners (one £1000 unit and a Snap On unit costing several grand) each of which revealed the dreaded 'B0100-49 Error inside the control unit' code and no others errors.

Sent the airbag ECU off for repair and have now received it back with "before" and "after" reports, which appear to be printouts from the FIat Multiecuscan software. See attached photos - the report with the yellow-highlighted text is the report before they repaired and re-tested the airbag ECU.

There are a couple of things in these reports which I'm not sure about and which I'd appreciate Funsters' advice on, especially from Riverbankannie, Christy, Nigel Crompton and others who have been down this road:

1. The odometer readings recorded against the errors in the reports appears to be many thousands of miles different to my current odometer reading.
The Airbag failure warning and light appeared for the first time ever the week before Christmas (i.e. December 2021), at which point the odometer would have been reading at least 26,202 miles. (I'd successfully MOT'd the van days previously and this was the recorded mileage.)

However, the reports I've received from the repair company give odometer readings of just under 17,000 miles for B0100-49 and the other errors! Based on mileage recorded in previous MOTs and my subsequent usage, my odometer would have last have been at 17,000 miles back in Spring 2019! Has anyone else spotted a similar discrepancy in reports they have received or is it likely that I've possibly received someone else's reports in error?!

2. The post-repair report still shows six other errors:
  • U1703-07 Communication with Instrument Cluster (IPC/NQS)
  • B0106-1B Driver's pretensioner resistance
  • B0107-1B Passenger pretensioner resistance
  • B0104-1B Passenger airbag resistance (1st stage)
  • B0103-1B Driver airbag resistance (1st stage)
  • B0127-13 Driver's seat belt switch
Have other Funsters also seen similar errors on their post-repair reports? If so, did the faults disappear when you reinstalled the Airbag ECU or did they have to be cleared using a suitable SRS-capable OBD2 tool?

Like some others in these forums, I was really surprised to see the root cause attributed to low voltage with the advice to get my battery checked. I replaced the original vehicle battery in January 2020 and fitted a new leisure battery and MPPT solar controller (with logging) last year. I have a Battery Master and am in the habit of checking the voltage of both batteries at least once a month and regularly downloading the logs from the solar controller, with no issues at all.

One possible cause that did occur to me was that I replaced the casing of my nearside wing mirror immediately before the airbag failure appeared. Perhaps unwisely, I did not disconnect the vehicle battery before unplugging and removing the heated mirror glasses, so I guess some sort of short may have occurred - not that the ignition was on at that point. The auto electrician dismissed this as a possible cause of the airbag fault, but I thought I'd just mention it in passing...

I'm obviously going to follow up the above queries with the repair firm, but would appreciate any advice Funsters can give on the above so that I am armed with as much info as possible.

Sorry for the lengthy post but thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Jez

Attachments

• Report_20220113_p1.jpg
    Report_20220113_p1.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Report_20220113_p2.jpg
    Report_20220113_p2.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 175

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
With apologies if this is a bit of a thread hijack, but, after five relatively trouble-free years owning our 2012 Peugeot Boxer-based Autoquest 180, we have recently joined this unhappy and apparently growing club of airbag ECU fault victims :crying1:

A similar story to many others... Airbag failure light came on suddenly when starting the motorhome one day before Christmas and remained on, despite attempting to clear it by driving the vehicle and doing a controlled reboot of the main system (e.g. http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/peugeot_bsi_reboot_procedure.htm). I enlisted the help of a mobile sparks whose two professional scanners (one £1000 unit and a Snap On unit costing several grand) each of which revealed the dreaded 'B0100-49 Error inside the control unit' code and no others errors.

Sent the airbag ECU off for repair and have now received it back with "before" and "after" reports, which appear to be printouts from the FIat Multiecuscan software. See attached photos - the report with the yellow-highlighted text is the report before they repaired and re-tested the airbag ECU.

There are a couple of things in these reports which I'm not sure about and which I'd appreciate Funsters' advice on, especially from Riverbankannie, Christy, Nigel Crompton and others who have been down this road:

1. The odometer readings recorded against the errors in the reports appears to be many thousands of miles different to my current odometer reading.
The Airbag failure warning and light appeared for the first time ever the week before Christmas (i.e. December 2021), at which point the odometer would have been reading at least 26,202 miles. (I'd successfully MOT'd the van days previously and this was the recorded mileage.)

However, the reports I've received from the repair company give odometer readings of just under 17,000 miles for B0100-49 and the other errors! Based on mileage recorded in previous MOTs and my subsequent usage, my odometer would have last have been at 17,000 miles back in Spring 2019! Has anyone else spotted a similar discrepancy in reports they have received or is it likely that I've possibly received someone else's reports in error?!

Have other Funsters also seen similar errors on their post-repair reports? If so, did the faults disappear when you reinstalled the Airbag ECU or did they have to be cleared using a suitable SRS-capable OBD2 tool?

Like some others in these forums, I was really surprised to see the root cause attributed to low voltage with the advice to get my battery checked. I replaced the original vehicle battery in January 2020 and fitted a new leisure battery and MPPT solar controller (with logging) last year. I have a Battery Master and am in the habit of checking the voltage of both batteries at least once a month and regularly downloading the logs from the solar controller, with no issues at all.

One possible cause that did occur to me was that I replaced the casing of my nearside wing mirror immediately before the airbag failure appeared. Perhaps unwisely, I did not disconnect the vehicle battery before unplugging and removing the heated mirror glasses, so I guess some sort of short may have occurred - not that the ignition was on at that point. The auto electrician dismissed this as a possible cause of the airbag fault, but I thought I'd just mention it in passing...

I'm obviously going to follow up the above queries with the repair firm, but would appreciate any advice Funsters can give on the above so that I am armed with as much info as possible.

Cheers,

Jez
Hi Jez
My report had a list of codes for other things, similar to yours. I took them just to be code readings rather than errors. My odometer reading was about right. We just reinstalled the ECU and have not got the means to read fault codes. The airbag light went out and we didn’t give a thought to the other codes. Here is my full report.
326746E5-0DD7-4BF2-ADF3-C169A0EF2816.jpeg
9B6B5DCB-A8DC-43EA-9CCF-098318CD81BE.jpeg

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Cheers,

Jez

You didn't say how long your MH had been left standing undriven before you started it again in December. My suspicion is that the nominal battery voltage readout can be misleading. Even if it says 12.7v, that doesn't tell you what will happen when the battery is under sudden heavy load. As soon as you crank the starter for the engine (plus the draw from the glow plugs) that probably results in a significant voltage drop, until the alternator kicks in. You might need a multimeter to tell you what the actual voltage drop is while starting, because that is when you can get the low voltage event that causes the airbag ECU module to fail.

That theory is why (if I haven't driven it for 7 days or longer) I put mine on EHU for about 3 or 4 hours the day before I am going to drive it, as a precautionary measure. Even if the cab battery readout is 12.7v before I hook it up, I don't trust that as a true indicator of the real state of charge.

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
I am having similar problems. First was a faulty battery causing low voltage and B0100-49 fault.
Crashdata repaired the ecu. I fitted a new battery, charged it over several days and then fitted the ecu. All good for a few days until I started the van on a cold morning. B0100-49 fault again.
This time, Crashdata say the fault is permanent and a new ecu is required (reconditioned - i.e. old unit reprogrammed to my van!) @ about £360. They believe that the hard start-up was the cause. If so that is a piss poor design from Fiat.
The lady also told me that over the past year, crashdata repairs to airbag ecu's are to a majority of campervans/motorhomes that are just sitting around. She also said that they rarely get any commercial van failures as they are in constant use.
To me that would imply faulty trickle charging of the started battery.
Sure enough, the Shauldt was only charging at 12.8v !
More expence.....

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am having similar problems. First was a faulty battery causing low voltage and B0100-49 fault.
Crashdata repaired the ecu. I fitted a new battery, charged it over several days and then fitted the ecu. All good for a few days until I started the van on a cold morning. B0100-49 fault again.
This time, Crashdata say the fault is permanent and a new ecu is required (reconditioned - i.e. old unit reprogrammed to my van!) @ about £360. They believe that the hard start-up was the cause. If so that is a piss poor design from Fiat.
The lady also told me that over the past year, crashdata repairs to airbag ecu's are to a majority of campervans/motorhomes that are just sitting around. She also said that they rarely get any commercial van failures as they are in constant use.
To me that would imply faulty trickle charging of the started battery.
Sure enough, the Shauldt was only charging at 12.8v !
More expence.....
So, that leads me on to, how do I determine the charging voltage from EHU?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back