leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
He's a nutter look :rofl:
xup-jpg.134071

Coming from a sidecar racer , pot and kettle sping to mind.

Should be getting that bike back this weekend, to use as a practice bike here in the UK.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
"Adventure" is not the word I used.

And an ongoing feature of these "adventures" seems to be "leap off the bike and rush into the undergrowth before my bowels explode in my pants". Not 100% success in that department too.

Puts me off thoughts of Morocco, it's manageable in a MH with a toilet close by, but on a bike !!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@Camping Gaza Typical Harley owners. (y) I still can't work out what the second one was thinking. Some sort of sympathy crash maybe? :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
47HP is all that's needed in this "safety camera" age. It easily gets into big fine speeds. But it can run all day in the 80s and deliver 70 mpg and over 200 miles to a tank. So light and nimble hairpins are a joy. Perfection for Olde Fartes.

The CB500X and NC750X appear to be quite popular in my neck of the woods. Both with younger A2 and older riders. Spoke to one bloke at Devil's Bridge near Kirkby Lonsdale with an NC750X and he said the DCT allowed him to get back onto a bike for the first time in many years after an injury to his left knee.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
he said the DCT allowed him to get back onto a bike for the first time in many years after an injury to his left knee.

One of www.lancsbiker.co.uk guys has just bought a 1200 DCT because of a left hand problem. Brilliant when technology works like this.

I did sit on the 750 before the 500 and the 500 just fitted me perfectly. Then a long test ride and I could not sign on the dotted line fast enough.

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
One of www.lancsbiker.co.uk guys has just bought a 1200 DCT because of a left hand problem. Brilliant when technology works like this.

I did sit on the 750 before the 500 and the 500 just fitted me perfectly. Then a long test ride and I could not sign on the dotted line fast enough.

I'm surprised other manufacturers haven't quite jumped on the bandwagon yet.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm surprised other manufacturers haven't quite jumped on the bandwagon yet.

I would guess it's a real niche at the moment and they are so complex I wonder if Honda are running them as loss leaders.

I'd love to try one, just for the fun of it but let's face it changing gear on a bike is a non event and we know better than any computer what gear we want to be in.

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
I would guess it's a real niche at the moment and they are so complex I wonder if Honda are running them as loss leaders.

I'd love to try one, just for the fun of it but let's face it changing gear on a bike is a non event and we know better than any computer what gear we want to be in.

I agree, but if I was ever in the unfortunate position where I couldn't use my left hand or foot comfortably anymore, it would mean I could still enjoy my hobby on a proper bike :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I got talking to an old boy in the other day who had lost a leg in a crash but was still riding.

He had a little 250 Ninja with some kind of servo arrangement connected to the gear shifter controlled by buttons on the left handlebar. Pull the clutch in as normal and press either up or down button with your thumb to change.

It might be something quite common but I'd never seen it before.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I got talking to an old boy in the other day who had lost a leg in a crash but was still riding.

He had a little 250 Ninja with some kind of servo arrangement connected to the gear shifter controlled by buttons on the left handlebar. Pull the clutch in as normal and press either up or down button with your thumb to change.

It might be something quite common but I'd never seen it before.

I've been using Button shift since 2012, broke my knee & ripped my cruciate ligament at Mondello Park in 2011 & found I couldn't change gear after about 10-12 laps, so went down the button shift route, auto blipper clutch less change's up & down, excellent piece of kit.
Red & green Buttons on left bar

http://www.proshift.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Kevin Carmichael is selling his Street Triple stunter :whistle:

15974888_10210106692158857_7210300642794102481_o.jpg

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
OK not a proper review but a few thoughts the Street Triple R. Well overall very pleased after nearly 3500 miles for a little 675 the low to mid range power is very impressive. over takes in 6th two up are not a problem in normal speed traffic, if you want to progress faster the box is as sweet as. For bimling along on my own or two up I found the front end a bit on the hard side, but if your pressing on it all comes good, But I've softened it off a bit to a acceptable compromise for my style of riding (or lack of style) but in general the handling is sharp & very very agreeable, Brakes have a lovely feel to them & progressive. I'm not sure if its our age or the seat but a 100 miles is enough for both of us in one hit, but your looking for fuel at between 120/140ish anyway, The injection is pretty good apart from when on over run throttle, to picking the throttle up off the stop you get a little bit of a snatch, again its most noticeable when bimling along or two up, trying to be really smooth, when pressing on you don't notice it much. I spoke to Andy at dynotech (They always set up my outfits) he said its the usual thing they run too lean (weak) for emissions but can be got around & made to run perfect. Top end wise I find it a little asthmatic but that could be its still a bit tight or just me comparing it to what I've been used to. Tyre wise, was well pleased 3300 miles before the back was gone, I know that was part because of running in, plus being 62 & not so aggressive (y)

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
@Enword ... thanks for the Street Triple review, really useful. I currently have a Sprint ST (2008) which at my tender age is getting a bit big for using for local rides so was looking at moving to something lighter and the Street Triple as well as the Tiger 800 XR low were on my list - don't suppose you have any experience of the Tiger 800 to add to your review of the Street Triple ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for that ... I shall certainly take a look but I would still prefer a Triumph :)

Fair enough but it revolutionised this olde farte's biking. Vstrom 650 about 4000 miles in my 18 months with it ( too top heavy ) followed by 12,000 miles and seven countries in the next 18 months on the Honda. Cruise all day at 90 in great comfort and still return over 70 mpg.

I did have a test ride on a Tracer 700 at a show, very similar in feel to the Honda but silly addictive quick after the Honda, my licence would not stand one. I keep telling myself NO on a regular basis.

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
Vstrom 650 about 4000 miles in my 18 months with it ( too top heavy )

I nearly went the Vstrom 650 route myself about 14 years ago but (like you) I was concerned about centre of gravity given I am only 5' 8" and a bit and I'm sure I'm shrinking as I get older - so I bought an SV650s instead which I think had the same engine and was great fun but not so good on the wrists.

I've quickly looked at the CB500X marketing videos and yes it does look interesting so I will certainly go and see it in the metal (and plastic :)) as well as the Triumphs. I don't dislike Hondas (thought my heart is with Triumph I have to say).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've quickly looked at the CB500X marketing videos .

For the real story................

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php

The world wide fan club of the bike with some serious long rider documented. The place is quite like FUN in terms of age and good banter.

And of course the Honda is, like the Triumphs, made in Thailand.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
OK not a proper review but a few thoughts the Street Triple R. Well overall very pleased after nearly 3500 miles for a little 675 the low to mid range power is very impressive. over takes in 6th two up are not a problem in normal speed traffic, if you want to progress faster the box is as sweet as. For bimling along on my own or two up I found the front end a bit on the hard side, but if your pressing on it all comes good, But I've softened it off a bit to a acceptable compromise for my style of riding (or lack of style) but in general the handling is sharp & very very agreeable, Brakes have a lovely feel to them & progressive. I'm not sure if its our age or the seat but a 100 miles is enough for both of us in one hit, but your looking for fuel at between 120/140ish anyway, The injection is pretty good apart from when on over run throttle, to picking the throttle up off the stop you get a little bit of a snatch, again its most noticeable when bimling along or two up, trying to be really smooth, when pressing on you don't notice it much. I spoke to Andy at dynotech (They always set up my outfits) he said its the usual thing they run too lean (weak) for emissions but can be got around & made to run perfect. Top end wise I find it a little asthmatic but that could be its still a bit tight or just me comparing it to what I've been used to. Tyre wise, was well pleased 3300 miles before the back was gone, I know that was part because of running in, plus being 62 & not so aggressive (y)
I think I did warn you about the seat and how long you could get before it got uncomfortable.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks @hilldweller ... I'm not looking to splash the cash until the spring but I will definitely take a look :)

One of the terrible things I've learnt on the X forum is that the Canadians and Russians are right now thinking of parking their bikes up for winter. They get only 6 months riding a year. Some of them agree with me, they should move.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
From the X forum today by a Brit..................

Hello everybody!
I'm on the road to Indonesia, currently in Armenia.

Big hearted Brit and a big hearted bike.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
All of the FI 'glitches' in modern bikes are to do with emissions and noise, i think its no different to the VW thing, they set rules, engineering work around them.
We have run mapping where ignition and fuel are backed off them the bike is not in gear ... the rules state that we must be 96db on a static test. It does not stop you from running different maps , for whatever reason.

mikethom

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 26, 2012
Wolverhampton
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since2011
2017-06-05 10.12.02-1.jpg

Very happy with my Street Triple had it 6 months and it has restored my enthusiasm for motorcycling.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Worked 3 weekends in a row, so finished early today & went for a frape on the bike, bit chilly but dry & all good until I caught the gritter up Had to was the bloody thing then:doh:
WP_20180209_16_44_59_Pro[1].jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back