Triumph sack main dealer in Oxford (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
triumph have ‘sacked’ their long time main dealer in the Oxford area due to it being in the wrong location.
Said location is 100yds from the motorway and right on the A40
The dealer even offered to build a larger dedicated show room but trumpet bean counter said either move your business or finish.
Once again Triumph have shown their true colours.
Currently riding high in the market place they think they can push dealers and customers around..
It smacks of the arrogance shown by the British bike industry back in the 60/70s, and we all know how that ended up !

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
No different to BMW who insist on being a solus dealer. They also insisted on Rainbow Motorcycles in Sheffield moving to bigger and better premises in Rotherham and then told them that they had to have new flooring.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Sad news about another loss. I have BMW and Triumph motorcycles and often wonder how much all that marble and expensive decor is really costing me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No different to BMW who insist on being a solus dealer. They also insisted on Rainbow Motorcycles in Sheffield moving to bigger and better premises in Rotherham and then told them that they had to have new flooring.
I can understand solus dealerships ( I believe Honda were the first donkeys years ago ), but this dealer was a solus, offered to build a bigger showroom and increase levels, but that was not good enough.
I am all agog to see who they offer the dealership to in Oxford ( they have said they are actively looking for a replacement) and whether they actually find someone to take it on.
Of course they may build or open a place of their own, which will really pee off the trade big time

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Honda were the same when I was a dealer in Australia , servicing the ag sector wanted me to stock parts for Goldwings etc , and have special tools that would never need , totally different to dealing with Briggs & Stratton .

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Sad news about another loss. I have BMW and Triumph motorcycles and often wonder how much all that marble and expensive decor is really costing me.

That's the very thing that goes through my mind all the time with goods and services. Fancy show room? Who pays? Me! Catchy add campaign with Z list celeb or furry puppets? Who pays? Me! Lazy flunkies swooning around looking cooool? Who pays? Me!

As an aside on this very issue we could mention Debenhams and its current difficulties. When ever I go there I am astounded at the amount of staff, especially the makeup counters, most of whom are standing around doing SFA! I mentioned this to SWMBO who payed £14 for an eye pencil to colour in her peepers a few weeks ago; she failed to see the connection/logic. I know if I was a manager/shareholder it would leap out at me every second of every day; the reason we are in financial difficulty is standing around in front of me. Solution - get rid of them. Simples.

I think its a growing realisation among consumers that is seeing them go on line for big discounts, they don't have to subsidise all the superfluous shite and they get more bang for their bucks.

£14 for a F##king pencil?! In the name of the wee man....

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Ahhh! That's why we all drive Dacia Dusters and not BMWs and Rolls Royce cars. I never knew I was paying for all the glitz and glamour..............

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Time will tell whether Triumph will be proved right.
It is however, always sad when an established dealership is terminated although I would imagine that this decision would have been taken after attempts to come to an agreeable mutual arrangement.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Sadly Birmingham Triumph went the same way, "relocate to a new Swanky very expensive showroom" or close.... I know Brum were in the top 10 dealers in the country and would imagine the Oxford boys were as well. Not a good move by whoever controls the dealers.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Happend with car dealers as well, back in the 80's local Worthing Mercedes car dealer lost his franchise because he wasn't in the right place been a main dealer for 25 years.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
It's snobbery, pure and simple. They want to sell a brand and a lifestyle choice, just like BMW or MB; if you don't fit the picture you're out. Now I know why the wife's new Triumph cost sooo much...

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Honda did this years ago, and one by one , the dealers told them to poke it. Their market share went west after that, and now they are few and far between. They wanted 'Honda Centres' that sold everything from bikes to lawnmowers.. The people that did it moved on . I do remember some of them ending up at Triumph.. Its all about 'vision' apparently .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back