Tripod hedge cutting ladders ??? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Where we live now we have a lot of hedging. It's the typical country mixed stuff . We like it because of the abundance of wildlife it supports with numerous birds nesting in it. The downside is cutting it. We have about 150 metres to keep in shape.

Last year I did the job off a normal pair of step ladders and a newly purchased Stihl long reach cutter. The weak thing was the step ladder.

I've been looking at these ladders in the link after seeing Monty Don using one on the telly
Link.

My question is has anyone used one of these or similar ? Doesent have to be the identical one ! I'm looking for opinions and recommendations please.

Thanks !!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My dad used to borrow the scaffold tower from the yard and wheel it along doing 8 or 10ft at a time. much safer

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I get a local gardener to help me trim the hedges in the autumn. Last year he brought along his newly acquired tripod ladder and it was brilliant! I don't know the make that he has but each leg is adjustable and that made the job much easier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes, we have one on our caravan site that's used regularly. There is usually someone holding onto it for safety though. Seems pretty stable but if your moving about up top cutting the hedge it moves a bit.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I use one of these
Abbey Aluminium Multi-Purpose Ladder 4.7m With New Safety Platform available from amazon
Great for washing the motorhome as well as the hedge etc

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You can buy some braces that fit on your own ladder and do a similar job.. I used to have them in the past but the neighbour then cut down the hedges (y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have you not got a farmer or firm around your way with a tractor?
Have mine cut twice a year by a chap that has a hedge cutter on the back of his tractor and he charges £50 a time.
Had a go years ago standing on the back of a pick up with a petrol hedge cutter but it was a lot of hassle.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I know a lot of professional Landscapers and tree surgeons use these now as they are more stable and comply with health and safety needs

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Have mine cut twice a year by a chap that has a hedge cutter on the back of his tractor and he charges £50 a time.
Had a go years ago standing on the back of a pick up with a petrol hedge cutter but it was a lot of hassle.

Yes there are local lads with tractors but they can't do the inside faces.... besides I actually like doing the job ...

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You can buy some braces that fit on your own ladder and do a similar job.. I used to have them in the past but the neighbour then cut down the hedges (y)

There needs to be a lot of space to use those braces and they take a bit of setting up. The whole idea is ease of use lightness and great stability.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Yes, we have one on our caravan site that's used regularly. There is usually someone holding onto it for safety though. Seems pretty stable but if your moving about up top cutting the hedge it moves a bit.

This is the information I need ! Once up the thing I have a long handled Stihl cutter to wield. Some of the hedges are 5 to 7 feed across most are 12 feet high. Stability is the big fail point on conventional steps is awkward and if I'm honest dodgy !

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My dad used to borrow the scaffold tower from the yard and wheel it along doing 8 or 10ft at a time. much safer

I have a scaffold tower but it's to long a hedge to make it practical.. wheeling along is not an option there are to many shrubs and trees to negotiate which is why a lightweight option is sought. We have one section of hedge at the rear which is 15 feet high and I use the tower on that because of the height.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
[QUOTE
Great for washing the motorhome as well as the hedge etc[/QUOTE]

Why do you wash the hedge? I leave that job to the rain :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Where we live now we have a lot of hedging. It's the typical country mixed stuff . We like it because of the abundance of wildlife it supports with numerous birds nesting in it. The downside is cutting it. We have about 150 metres to keep in shape.

Last year I did the job off a normal pair of step ladders and a newly purchased Stihl long reach cutter. The weak thing was the step ladder.

I've been looking at these ladders in the link after seeing Monty Don using one on the telly
Link.

My question is has anyone used one of these or similar ? Doesent have to be the identical one ! I'm looking for opinions and recommendations please.

Thanks !!

Everyone uses the wooden version here for olive picking. Far more stable than any ordinary ladder. Also known as 'orchard ladders ' as they are still commonly used at them.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
As I cut a lot of hedges for a living I invested in a 12' Henchman tripod ladder last year. All three legs are adjustable. Why did I not invest in one years ago.
Not cheap but a fantastic piece of kit.
Certainly makes the job of cutting high hedges much, much easier and safer.(y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Beat me to it exactly what i would have suggested (y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can you not buy a long reach hedge cutter, I seem to remember I had an attachment like an extension pole that fitted and put the cutting head higher.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Can you not buy a long reach hedge cutter, I seem to remember I had an attachment like an extension pole that fitted and put the cutting head higher.

I have one. A quality Stihl .. but some of the hedges are very wide so the long reach of the cutter gets me across I need a ladder to get up there first.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
These type of steps should only be used for access to carry out light duty work.
Wielding a long reach cutter could easily throw you off balance.
You would be safer using a small tower, it will give you greater stability, a larger cut area and less climbing up and down with cutter in hand.

Spud

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Thats a good idea!I have a lot of hedges and live in the country --hard work -now I am older!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
These type of steps should only be used for access to carry out light duty work.
Wielding a long reach cutter could easily throw you off balance.
You would be safer using a small tower, it will give you greater stability, a larger cut area and less climbing up and down with cutter in hand.

Spud

Which is why I would only buy the heavy duty EN rated ladder.

As above I have a tower but it's is not practical given the logistics of the hedge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back