Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We left blighty on sat morn at 0600. we got no sleep at all friday night, so once we had done a few hours driving, we shut down for a couple of hours kip.
We then continued on to Bordueax, and stayed overnight ona motorway aire (no problems). In the morning we carried on until we got to the aire at Biarritz.
we were lucky to get on, it was rammed and people were still coming in to have a try. We went and sat on thre beach in the dark before bedtime, then left about 10am. The plod are supposed to collect the 10e charge between 1900-2000, but they did,nt materialise, maybe 'cos it was sunday??
Monday morningsaw us off again for a long boot across spain. The A1 motorway is bleddy brilliant if you wan to munch some miles, and mostly free.
I beggared it up a bit on the new road system surrounding Madrid, so decided to call it a night and pulled in at an empty campsite who allowed us on.
After topping up and emptying out, and a shower,....we shall be off in the morning to finish the jaunt toCabo da roca in Portugal, from there, we intend to visitPeniche, Figueira de foz and along the coast ustil we need to head for either the boat , or a drive home.
At the moment, its looking like costing us 320e, plus tommorrows tolls, so I,ll contact B rittany ferries and see whats on offer.
Heard some scare stories about Portugese tolls while in Biarritz, but i,ll find out when i get there.

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
well, we are at cabo da Roca, (along with about five other foreign motorhomes), looks like they are setting their Tv's up, and their blinds are closed, so we will probably be overnighting here. Its a stunning place, most westerly point in europe, and visitors come by the coachload. we did another tank of fuel getting here, and the toll on the motorway from Badajoz to Lisbon was 30e. you have to balance this out with the fact that it is a VERY good road, (although mostly empty) and it definatly saves you time if you need to save time.
I never drive over 60mph, and mostly do 56 ish, and am very easy on the engine, so once ive worked it out over all the tankfulls, i,ll have a good idea of what the motor does to the gallon,...its a bit academic really, as if I want to use it, i have to put fuel in::bigsmile:.
we should stay off the toll roads now as we wend our way along the coast, looking at the cost's so far,..its looking more like I will try to get a boat home (last quote was about £500, but VWALAN got a cheaper one).
Tis nice to know, how long it takes to get to places, where we like stopping (motorway aires aint scary at all, well no more scary than a layby in the UK).

Oh, wifey has doene the sums, to get here the way we came, it has cost :

Fuel......in euros,............e 395
Tolls....in euros.............e 156

No doubt others will have done it cheaper, but we needed to get to near Estoril, and wanted to avoid a "top to bottom" trip through Portugal.:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Enjoy your holiday sounds as if you have a good part of the journey sorted, good to have some costings .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Well, weve crept up the coast, overnighted at peniche in the large car park with 20 other vans::bigsmile:, then wended our way to figueira da Foz. Cracking place with bleddy great beaches, and again, a large car park that attracted a good 15 vans overnight. We were woke up in the morning by some hustle and bustle, to find a mini fish market set up in the adjacent field.
it was great to sit on a bollard having our first coffee watching the wholesalers buy their goods, then the retailers sell to the locals who kept turning up.
we stayed at Aviero then went to Furadouro, both really nice places, then we had an early start inViana Do Castelo. Its a lovely place, and we visited Basilica of santaluzia, which has specatucar views across the harbour and town. the basilica sits like a fortress on the highest point, but looks like most cathedrals. it is reached by a funicular railway, and when we got to the top, we enetered the basilica to find a wedding in progress:Eeek:
It was amazing...part of the srvice involved two tenors and a soprano singing while the register was being signed (by almost everyone it seems), they sang "Halleluya..Alexander Burke", an opera piece that i recognised but cannot name, and "memories" from cats...brilliant...i took loads of photos.
We then took the lift to the top of the tower, i felt like bleddy quasimodo::bigsmile:
Today, we are staying at Braga.......looks like a bit of a tip, but our usual reccy in the morning will see if thats so.

We are dooing about two to three nights wild (along with loads of other EU MH owners), and one night on a site, the most weve paid so far, including leccy is e12, about the same as some french aires.
new plans may have to be made due to teh brittabny ferries debacle:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back