Trip To The Weigh Bridge (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
I am trying to loose weight again honestly!

Went to local scrap yard this morning fully ladened supposedly just having on board what we need for the trip, barring fridge contents, TV and a few items of clothing that are still to process, we filled fresh water to 60 litres yesterday and filled Diesel to top this morning both sat in it .......

Front Axel 1840 KG
Rear 3160 KG

Total 5020

Our permitted weight is 5000 KG

Got home checked and found 40 litres in waste tank, drained that and found 10 more kilos of things I dont mind leaving at home.

Reckon we are Ok if we are careful, make sure we dont really add much to it and carry not much water on return journey.

We have 2 Bikes in the garage, a kayak, Helmets for both, a spare wheel, gas and electric cobb, 2 chairs and a huge tool box that husband insists he needs. I have got rid of his baked beans and got him down to 1 pair of speedo's. But I have kept the cointreau and the baileys.

2 questions really

Is it Ok for the rear Tag and its overhang are so much heavier bearing in mind that the water, fuel and us are at the front?

What is the tolerance for going over?

Many Thanks

Janet

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Well done you've done it properly.
The very reason Im always banging on about getting weighed at a proper weighbridge there is no alternative way of knowing.

Dealers dont know payloads and even if they did they wouldn't tell you.
Silly little expensive plates you drive over are so innacurate they're a joke.
A tenner to get an exact weight is cheap.

In my opinion all motorhome should be sold with a up to date weighbridge ticket.
Never happen because a large percentage are not fit for purpose or use. Amazing that such expensive items can be manufactured and sold in such a dishonest fashion.

When we were looking payload was vital and we turned down several van because the payload was pants. One of the vans was even overweight with nothing loaded - not even the driver.

We weigh ours annually and fully loaded with full diesel and water but empty waste........ have it done at the transport company who charge Ā£8 and laugh as they don't do many motorhomes but do a lot of huge lorries and trailers. It's a flat bed plate.

I have had my van waged three times now with my shelf the wife dog the weeman bikes and tank full of water every thing we would normally carry and never ben over 3.2 tones.
max for this van is 3.5 tones
when I first got it I filed every thing to the max loaded every thing I would need plus a few other things
it weight in at 3.6 tones dumped the Gray tank weight 3.4 tones (y)
bill

Last month fully loaded as we were about to go off ours was 1600 on the front and 1660 on the back. We knew we could dump fresh water and gain up to 75kg if we needed to :) Plate says 1850 and 2000 so I was very happy :)

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
As I understand it the offence is to exceed the MGW, and whilst they take no action (ie do not fine or immobilise) under 5%, they do give you a warning. What I don't know is whether the warning is recorded and if so what happens on a repeat offence. Another thought - that, of course is in the UK, whether there is a 5% leeway in any other country I have no idea. Best not to risk it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Perhaps of interest but VOSA has to allow a 5% overload before they can issue a fine,
Between 0% and 5% overload you get a warning, this is to allow commercial loads that may increase in weight in transit due to rain/snow or other factors,

Ah but you may well not get fined but will they allow you to continue without unloading the extra weight? As I doubt it...

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
The rear two axles are generally "compensating" (certainly if they are air sprung, they will be. If they are not air sprung but the springs are connected to each other rather than having independent units bolted to the chassis then again, they are likely to be compensating. If they are compensating axles then the law states that the actual weight of each axle should be added together and, if the combined weight exceeds the combined permitted weigh of both these axles then there is an overweight offence.

DVSA generally do allow the 5% leeway and, again, generally would not require the driver to lose that 5% i.e. they would not ask that 5% to be off-loaded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Being overloaded shouldn't be a concern for legal reasons to be honest. You should be thinking my vehicle has been designed to stop safely within these limits when loaded to a certain level. Think safety not law. It is there to protect you and others around you. The limits are not just thought up by no brain politicians.

That said. Check this out. Looks like you are close enough to miss out on any fines.

https://www.gov.uk/roadside-vehicle-checks-for-commercial-drivers/fixed-penalties

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back