Trip to Sweden (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2016
Preston
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europea 69+ Silver
Exp
3 years
Travelling to Sweden next June via Rostock to Trelleborg. I know there is two ferry companies running this route. Is it worthwhile buying groceries on either of these ferries rather than Sweden

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
HI i have travelled in the reverse direction on the TT LINES ref the Robin Hood Ferry. your post looks like you asking if you should buy groceries on the ferry and I can categorically say that i did not see a shop selling anything foodstuf other than perhaps milk maybe. I can also say the food would be cheaper in Germany so load up there. The ferry trip was very pleasant and i would travel with TT lines again. Enjoy your trip Sweden is a lovely country.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Travelling to Sweden next June via Rostock to Trelleborg. I know there is two ferry companies running this route. Is it worthwhile buying groceries on either of these ferries rather than Sweden
Not really, most food is quite reasonable, your favourite tipple though, although not too bad, you will notice a difference in the price, also light beer is cheap and available in supermarkets strong alcohol is not and can be expensive, wines not too bad but gin etc is more expensive, litre of Gordon’s in UK varies from £14 - £19 in Sweden it’s about £21 -£25 also Sweden ‘enjoys’ a state-run liquor monopoly, called Systembolaget; which means that if you want to buy wine, spirits, or anything other than light beer (which is just a smidgen above non-alcohol beer), you have to go to the state-run liquor stores. Here, if you’re over the age of 20 and can show proper ID you are welcome to purchase the booze of your choice within the prescribed hours. Grocery stores and convenience stores are banned from selling anything other than beer below 3.5% strength, full stop.

Make sure to stock up for the weekend. The relatively strict hours employed by Systemet (as it’s known locally) can come as a shock. As a general rule, Systemet is open Monday to Wednesday 10am-6pm, Thursday and Friday 10am-7pm, and on Saturday 10am-3pm. This means that should you need some wine for dinner you’d better make sure you get to the shop on time because they don’t mess around: doors are locked exactly at closing time, with a guard at the door to let stragglers out. This may seem pretty restrictive but not if you look at the past problems Sweden has had with alcohol.

I’d put a couple of bottles in your van and don’t worry too much about food it’s good value and good quality. Enjoy, it’s a wonderful country, the majority of swedes speak English and are very obliging.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi
Did the same route there and back a couple of months back.
Food as already stated stock up at Lidl and spirits.
No food shop on ferry,and not a lot of saving on spirits but a better choice maybe.
Also beer easier to push a trolly at Lidl than carry a couple of packs from the shop on the ferry back to the car deck.
Just before the port at the traffic lights is a Danish border shop / and cheap fuel top up there if you can .€1.09 per lt
Beer in Sweden 2.5 or 3.5% and gnats wee-wee.
Buy your ticket and register on line with TT lines and search for offers show the bar code sent and easy to get in line.
Enjoy your trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back