Trip to spain - positives and negatives (1 Viewer)

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Just returned home from our epic trip to spain, 2600 miles and many happy memories later now planning for our trip to Germany, Holland and Austria next year. This was our longest trip yet and what did we learn?

Negatives:

The trip to Spain was done with 2 other couples in their vans, if we were to do it again would definetly take more than 2 days there and 2 days back as we ended up driving for 17 hours a day, but extending the time will have to wait until we retire.

The Spanish and French drive like idiots (particularly the caravan tuggers) and nearly caused accidents on more than one occasion.

Due to the limited travel time we had to use toll roads for some of the journey which can prove expensive.

Although the MHs all did well on fuel economy it is a long way and fuel costs need to be factored in.

Positives:

We all had Autotrails and they all performed exceptionally well with no problems at all, they proved their worth crossing the Pyrenees twice.

We brought 3 cheap walky talkys which proved invaluable especially when travelling in convoy across Paris.

The Aires in France provide a cheap overnight stopover.

This was our longest trip away in the van and it was reassuring to know that we had everything we needed for the trip and the extended stay.

The Snooper Satnav was excellent and is thoroughly recommended.

We used a Caxton Foreign Currency Card which you can load directly from your Current account and you can use to draw cash or purchases without incurring charges.

Overall an excellent trip which we will certainly do again in the future.:thumb::thumb:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
You will also learn that no matter what your sat. nav. may say, all roads do not lead to the Paris Périphérique.:thumb:

Glad you enjoyed your trip. You should spend a lot more time in France it's well worth it.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Pete,

Agree with the comments on the satnav but after 35 years in the Army I always write a route card and have a map handy 'just in case'. We have had many fantastic camping holidays in France (which have included my passion for battlefield tours) and will undoubtedly have more trips there in the future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Tim you never said where in Spain you went to...and as for Paris and the Periphique..you brave old soldier you I've done it twice meself never again..bearing in mind a lot of the French and Parisians in general are not aware of there surroundings when they drive and just want to get off that road..I'm glad to hear you survived it..but as I say never again..and I'm an ex soldier but there is BRAVE and downright foolhardy...personally I would have gone via Rouen::bigsmile:
The French aires is a great system..very cost effective..we used em when we did our run to Spain for the winter a couple of years ago we ended up in Peniscola for 8 weeks...when we went across France we did it in nice slow time 300 miles a day nice and steady..took us 4 days..lovely..and the weather was reasonable..well no snow..as for the toll roads..no didn't use them..that money goes on fuel..glad you enjoyed it...Give France a chance and tour it thoroughly you'll come to love it...use the Route Nationales that way you'll see the real side of France and above all they are free!!!..There are a lot of us Ex Forces guys on here..glad to see another soldier here..I was 1 DWR for over 20 years sadly it is now amalglamated into the Yorkshire Regiment...

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Tim
Glad you enjoyed your trip, but if you think the French and Spanish are bad wait until you get to Belgium and Germany on the Autobans , I know what you mean re Paris
I have not done it in the MH, only on a coach hol, personally I have had no probs in France or Spain , Madrids a bit hairy going through but stay in your lane and alls ok. Pete :thumb:

Ps
We where parked up at Mont St Michael 2 years ago next to a hire MH from Belgium over a drink or two with them , he said how nice and polite drivers in France were, in Belgium we get in our cars and go like F**k, :winky:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
The thing is Peter I always found German drivers pretty good on the whole...mind you it was over 15 since I was last over there so it may have changed...The Dutch also were always reasonable drivers too..but it's at least 10 years since I was there too so ditto for them...
I know they drive damn quick on the autobahns but they were some of the safest roads in Europe...at one time there was no real limit over there...I always loved Germany..the scenery round Lake Constanz is smashing...oh well maybe next time...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back