Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Hi all
We are taking our second trip in our A class rapido in a week or so and wondered if anyone had advice for us. I've just upgraded to two batteries (both new), and 250w of solar power, so looking forward to a little bit of wild camping or off grid.
I have travelled to scotland many times and know where to go, but wondered what other people thought. Loch Lomond is about 450miles from home, so we were going to start our journey in the evening and stop off at maybe some services to have a rest to arrive somewhere on the way the next afternoon.
Initially I thought I'd get to Loch Lomond first but then noticed that we really have never stopped at the Lake district much. So I was looking for a place to stop there for maybe 3 nights to recover and reset into holiday mode, before setting off to Scotland, then maybe stopping at Loch lomond for a few days.

Next I quite fancied just touring around and stopping at odd places where you don't have to book. I've heard there are places where you can simply stop off for the night. Being after easter, I feel I only need to book the journey up, the rest I can book as we go. It's only for 10days so not a big holiday.

Any advice recomended.

Thank you
PS; Just me, the wife and our dog. My wife is dissabled so I like to find places near villages if more than 1 night.

Thanks

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Before heading off to Loch Lomond try The Galloway Forest Park in the South West, it's really very nice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
OK, nice advice. Our intention was maybe after staying part way up for a few days, to stop off at official site on Loch lomond, but then to go west coast north from there to give wild camping a go as it should be relatively quiet this time of year (after easter). We leave the 14th April, so will be easter weekend stopping somewhere in Lake district which we will book tonight, then a couple of nights near alexandria. From there....spin the coin.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Just do it QUICK before you need a passport!!

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Pooley Bridge at the North of Ullswater is lovely and somewhere we use often as its only an hour from home, they have a couple of sites near by and also some on the south side at Glenridding and Patterdale.
When you say you want to come to Scotland but just want to drive through the bottom half, I would recommend Dumfries and Galloway especially if you dont have more than 2 weeks.

If you would like any info on D&G just ask and if you look at my post from Saturday on Portpatrick it will give you a sample of how beautiful it is here.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Don't forget you now need a "camping permit" to wild camp around Loch Lomond and The Trossochs.

Oh yes ... and beware the Krankie woman!:eek:
krankie_sturgeon.jpg

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Before heading off to Loch Lomond try The Galloway Forest Park in the South West, it's really very nice.

I'd heartily recommend that you do stop over in south west Scotland, you'll find countless wild camping spots & a total lack of parking charges in most towns or villages. You'd be visiting a very pretty uncrowded & undiscovered corner of the UK that you'd want to visit again.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
In our whole region , apart from Forestry Commission car parks , there is only one pay car park, and that's a multistorey in Dumfries.

Upvote 0

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We've just spent the last six months in D&G (with a bit of travelling from time to time out of the area) and loved it. Sadly we are now on our way home to Orkney (slowly), currently on Arran.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
We stayed at Woodclose Park ,Kirkby Lonsdale (South Lakes) last year,approx 10 mins walk to town centre.Kirkby Lonsdale is very pretty with some nice shops,pubs etc.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
In our whole region , apart from Forestry Commission car parks , there is only one pay car park, and that's a multistorey in Dumfries.
Private ones are creeping in we now have 3 pay car parks in Dumfries and once the council shut half the sands for flood defense it will only play into their hands.

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I'd heartily recommend that you do stop over in south west Scotland, you'll find countless wild camping spots & a total lack of parking charges in most towns or villages. You'd be visiting a very pretty uncrowded & undiscovered corner of the UK that you'd want to visit again.
Is beautiful but stop encouraging these wild campers or will be another no no when it is invaded !!

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Another vote for Pooley Bridge. It's not far off the M6 , which is the route I presume you'll be taking from Brentwood.

We stayed here http://www.parkfootullswater.co.uk/ last year for a few days. It's quite a big site with some statics etc but has a well stocked shop, and cafe on site should you want to use it.

I'd also add my vote for Dumfries and Galloway, stunning coastal scenery and Galloway Forest is a "dark sky" park and is amazing. Far quieter than Loch Lomond and its environs.

Having said this, we stayed on the C&CC site at Milarrochy Bay and that too is excellent. Not sure if you're a member, but it does accept non members too.

Enjoy your hols wherever you end up(y)

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In only 10 days I seriously suggest you do not venture too far north, especially if lose 3 of those days in Cumbria, you will spend all your time driving, its still a very long way from Carlisle to Loch Lomond and same again to get north of Inverness

Scottish Borders and D + G have a huge amount to give as a starter trip :)(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Ccc club at loch lomond very noisey and it floods when lots of rain we went out and bought ear plugs for noisey road

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
They talk funny, have odd money and don't like the English much.. better off in France...errrrrr:reel:

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Ccc club at loch lomond very noisey and it floods when lots of rain we went out and bought ear plugs for noisey road
We read that too, which put us off and so we went for the Milarrochy Bay option, which is on the "quiet" bank of Loch Lomond.

Not sure if the Milarrochy site would flood, it is on the side of the lake and has direct access to the lake so I reckon some of the pitches might be vulnerable to flood. But some of it is up a slope from the Loch so think you'd be ok if pitched in the right spot

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We read that too, which put us off and so we went for the Milarrochy Bay option, which is on the "quiet" bank of Loch Lomond.

Not sure if the Milarrochy site would flood, it is on the side of the lake and has direct access to the lake so I reckon some of the pitches might be vulnerable to flood. But some of it is up a slope from the Loch so think you'd be ok if pitched in the right spot
"lake ??? what lake? theres only one lake in Scotland and thats called menteith ":LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
"lake ??? what lake? theres only one lake in Scotland and thats called menteith ":LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Same as the "Lake District" mate, people don't believe me when I tell them that there's only one lake there. Also that there's no such place as "Lake Windermere" its a Mere in the same way that you wouldn't say Lake Loch Ness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
We stayed at Woodclose Park ,Kirkby Lonsdale (South Lakes) last year,approx 10 mins walk to town centre.Kirkby Lonsdale is very pretty with some nice shops,pubs etc.
While we were working we had our caravan on a seasonal pitch at Woodclose and got to know the area very well. Waterfoot Farm in Pooley Bridge is a sister site and have stayed there many times since we took the van off Woodclose to go travelling. The managers of Woodclose when we were there now run Waterfoot Farm, Michelle and Steve. Regards, Mike

Upvote 0

Jim Dowd

Free Member
Feb 24, 2017
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Ford transit conversion
Exp
Since 2006 a bit of a newbie
Upvote 0
OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
In only 10 days I seriously suggest you do not venture too far north, especially if lose 3 of those days in Cumbria, you will spend all your time driving, its still a very long way from Carlisle to Loch Lomond and same again to get north of Inverness

Scottish Borders and D + G have a huge amount to give as a starter trip :)(y)
Agreed, done the trip many times on motorbike, in car, camping with kids various trips and it is all possible with a car but with the MH, whilst I'm fairly new to it, I realise you have to trundle and take it easy. Have booked 3 nights at various places on the way up then 3 nights just above alexandria in a caravan club sight. Will probably stick to just west of there for the rest of the trip and book ad-hock. However, the temptation of my favourite town in the world (and I travel a lot on buisiness), Inverness. Would love to go to fort william and follow the ness to Inverness, but I think the idea is we don't plan anything but the trip up as it's easter bank hol and would easily get stuck. That said, the only site I managed to book for the first 2 nights (just north of Leeds), is grass only and no hookup, so we'll be trying out the electrics then.

Upvote 0

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Nice little tea room in Tarbet, behind the Hotel on the road to Arrochar. Also on that road about 300metres away there is a converted church that is a cafe and does meals, don't know what it's like though.

If you get really bored, between the tea room and the church, there is a bus stop where the Traffic Police hide to catch the speedsters that don't realise it's a 30mph speed limit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back