Trip switches,….why? (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
…do they work the opposite way to normal switches. Normal is up for off. Trips is up for on.

why?

The recent threads on trip switches made me think there must be a logical reason.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Up for on is common in many other countries.
It doesn't matter because it tells you which way is ON & OFF :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I assumed it was because it's easier to flick a switch down than up if you want to switch it off quickly.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
No .. goes back to old style open breakers which had a heavy hardwood handle. The current kept the trip up unless overloaded when the 'trip would drop'. If they went up for off, gravity might take over hence reconnecting the supply. Even in the last half century, switches were heavy. With the rise of plastics and minuterisation, it would be less of an issue, but still safer than the other way round.

If you watch the original Titanic film, Night to Remember, you will see them frantically throwing the trips back in.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No .. goes back to old style open breakers which had a heavy hardwood handle. The current kept the trip up unless overloaded when the 'trip would drop'. If they went up for off, gravity might take over hence reconnecting the supply. Even in the last half century, switches were heavy. With the rise of plastics and minuterisation, it would be less of an issue, but still safer than the other way round.

If you watch the original Titanic film, Night to Remember, you will see them frantically throwing the trips back in.
what he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think the reason is when they are down (off) they can't accidentally be knocked up (on)
If it was down for on it could be accidently knocked on by something falling against it.
That's the reason I was given by a senior/master electrician.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My van was obviously built as an experiment to determine which 'off' position was better. Around half the switches worked one way and the rest the opposite way. I came down in favour of the majority (a majority of one) and made them all up for off.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I worked for a very well heeled woman, [but not very bright and rather OCD] where in the rather majestic hallway of their mansion there was two lots of two way switching. In order to comply with her [OCD] we had to walk through the darkness of the hallways in order that the symmetry of the hallway switches having to be in the "all up, or all down position" was not offended by one switch being in the wrong position.
Oh and on another occasion I was tasked with sorting a new vacuum cleaner, unexpectedly I was asked my advise on the subject. I volunteered that we had just acquired a Dyson, [ this was 25 years ago] and we were very pleased with it's performance. So off to shop I trot and purchase said Dyson, take it back and unpack it in front of her to marvel over.
Assemble said vacuum, and randomly start hoovering a piece of carpet. 2 minutes later I call her to bear witness to the superior cleaning power of the dyson over a more conventional cleaner, the considerable dust deposits plain to see in the clear dust catcher. In absolute amazement she stared at the contents. " Where has all that dust come from" she enquired. Slightly taken aback I stammered, " well out of that carpet, you just saw me hoover it" at which she started shrieking," No no no, I have already hoovered that area this morning", again slightly nonplussed I continued " It just goes to show the difference in performance ", however, her never knowingly wrong about anything, ever, countered with, " Well, they must send them out with dust already in them to make them look good", and off she flounced. Said Dyson was never used in the house again, and was relegated to the garage for hoovering out the cars!!
Mike.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back