Trickle charge to vehicle battery from solar panels. (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
I have a 150 amp solar panel feeding two 110 ah leisure batteries via an MPPT controller.
The controller also feeds a trickle charge to the vehicle battery.
I wish to remove the two leisure batteries for maintenance. My question is, with the leisure batteries removed, will there still be a trickle charge feeding into the vehicle battery?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm guessing but my logic say's the MPPT controller will sense there is no voltage in the leisure batteries and therefore direct all current in that direction rather than towards the cab battery. If your leisure batteries are only removed for a short period you will probably find you're going to be ok anyway.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As a precaution, before disconnecting the leisure batteries remove the fuse on the solar panel feed to the regulator. Failure to isolate the regulator from the Solar panel during battery maintenance can lead to solar regulator failure.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a 150 amp solar panel feeding two 110 ah leisure batteries via an MPPT controller.
The controller also feeds a trickle charge to the vehicle battery.
I wish to remove the two leisure batteries for maintenance. My question is, with the leisure batteries removed, will there still be a trickle charge feeding into the vehicle battery?

Thanks
WOW !!!!!!!!!! Even out of the 3 x 110w we have the best I have ever seen in bright sunlight and dead batteries is about 18 amps

How many solar panels and trailers to mount them on do you have ? !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
whingyraindrop
Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
WOW !!!!!!!!!! Even out of the 3 x 110w we have the best I have ever seen in bright sunlight and dead batteries is about 18 amps

How many solar panels and trailers to mount them on do you have ? !

Okie Dokie, Perhaps I meant watts. I'm just learning this stuff. . . almost eight years now. . . :xgrin:

thank you,

Lorraine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back