Travelling with water in the freshwater tank ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Full .. It weighs no more than a couple of passengers would so never worry about it

Vandar

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coach Built
Exp
Since 2012
We usually travel with an empty tank but a plastic carrier inboard half full for drinks. Came unstuck in France. We paid to go through the barrier onto an Aire then found the water dispenser was on the other side of the out barrier. So begged some water off another camper. Being new to this and not knowing we could go out water up and come in again. Not doing that again.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
As most others we travel with full fresh tank, empty grey & cassette. Also carry a spare cassette.

Don't bother with large containers of fresh water although do keep a small bottle in the fridge to drink when out and about or during the night.

Denise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I have always travelled with a full water tank (76 litres) and can concur it seems to make little difference to fuel economy. However, on a recent holiday we did end up travelling one day with the tank empty, and it did seem to make a difference to performance up hills, my 1.9 litre turbo diesel is OK but not over-endowed with power. I don't plan to change, though, a big part of the thrill of motorhoming for me is the independence and having all we need with us at all times. Only when returning home I don't bother to fill up when leaving the last pitch.

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
Have always travelled full. Don't want to have to worry filling up on arrival and i am concerned that any amount other than full is going to be sploshing around when travelling. Easier when leaving to ensure clean loos, empty grey tank and full fresh. That way no worries where we are going and whether we arrive late or in the dark. We're always ready!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never travel full. We just travel with whatever's left in the tank from the last trip and yes, we drink it.
Never not been able to get water. The only time we've ever travelled full or nearly full is on short hops between aires when we suspect there may be some issue with the service point at the one we're heading to.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
About a quarter tank then 10 litres a day when available, plus a jug and a kettle for brewing up.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Always full and keep it topped up,been caught out once or twice in the past.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Same as NickNic, to be honest. We travel with what's left from our trip. It's usually around a quarter of a tank, so around 50 litres or so.

I do carry a few water bottles for the drive to each site but only for the odd gulp as we travel. If I want a coffee, I much prefer to find a Costa or suchlike en-route if possible as it's quicker and easier for us if we need to crack on with the journey. Plus it gives us a good excuse for a break and to exercise the little people.

I've only once travelled with a full tank and that was on our last trip between two sites to save a few minutes filling up when we arrived.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Well we have now been travelling with the tank full.. It doesent or hasn't made any difference to the MPG but I can feel the extra weight.. Not enough to bother about though..

Cheers

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Always full otherwise you may as well have a caravan. Stop, spin seats, power on, kettle on for Mrs M, beer for me. Sorted

Ah! I can beat you there, we have a u shaped rear lounge and a separate dining area as well so all we have to do is stop, power on, kettle on. :)

I can't see the point of having a nice big on-board fresh water tank and not using it. I thought that this was the point of having a MH.

So for us, full fresh, empty grey and black then we are ready for anything.

KH

Mothy

Free Member
Sep 1, 2015
Hythe, Hants
Funster No
MH
Lo-line
Exp
1 month
Will always travel full. Water is life and you never know what is going to happen.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
I always travel full but if we have have a few wks in between trips i tend to leave water in but if longer i drain down.so how long would you leave water in with using m/h?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I always travel full but if we have have a few wks in between trips i tend to leave water in but if longer i drain down.so how long would you leave water in with using m/h?

I've never ever drained ours down. The frost protection on the boiler has gone once or twice but that's it. Whatever was left in the tank when I took it back to storage last week will still be there, and be used, when we next go away at the end of October

I guess the longest it's stood without being used is maybe 10 weeks and the water has been fine. We all drink it and have never had any problems.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've never ever drained ours down. The frost protection on the boiler has gone once or twice but that's it. Whatever was left in the tank when I took it back to storage last week will still be there, and be used, when we next go away at the end of October

I guess the longest it's stood without being used is maybe 10 weeks and the water has been fine. We all drink it and have never had any problems.
We drink from our tank ,but always drain it down. After about 10 days the chlorine with have dispersed and algi and bacteria will start to form in the water

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We drink from our tank ,but always drain it down. After about 10 days the chlorine with have dispersed and algi and bacteria will start to form in the water

Improves the flavour (y)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

I've used an additive/purifier made by Elsan. It's supposed to keep water fresh and purify . Obviously we are using quite some amount of water but a bottle costing 7 quid will last this trip which is looking like 6 weeks or so.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
we don't drink ours because it tastes funny according to Ms Tiggs so we carry 10l of water from a supermarket for the kettle etc.. the tank is always full .. even now, sat on the road waiting to be prepared for next trip the tank is full... could be gone in a moment if we wanted to... other than this darned work thing.. uggghh

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Most of the year I tend to drain down if we have more than a couple of weeks between trips. During the winter all is drained down, taps opened and shower hose blown. I usually clean the system using a couple of Aqua Tabs each spring but then flush through to get rid of any taste (which may defeat the object I dunno :)). We drink from the tank with no problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back