Travelling with water in the freshwater tank ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
i go to places where there is no water even moving slowly you might not find water . i can last upto three weeks with out filling .
yes even in maroc water is in ever village , but why rush anywhere . we stop out in the wilds and enjoy the adventure . sometimes we are near reservoirs so have more water than a big town could drink. good filters come in handy then . but 100 litres is only one persons weight so dont worry too much .
i can carry 500 litre of fuel. you have to if going down through africa etc .
But Im only going to Weston .........................

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
When we are abroad we travel full whenever we see water we always top up , in the UK we just have a 1/4 of a tank onboard .

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I'm another daft one & normally travel with a full tank.:LOL: Having done 124 nights in a week over a year only 10 nights were on sites so fill up when I can. I have checked the weight of the van fully loaded and it is about 200kg under the limit so no problems there and the difference in fuel consumption would be so small to be insignificant, I can make more difference with the use of my right foot.:ROFLMAO:

It's a 100l (100kg) tank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We usually travel with it half full (120 ltre tank) there are no baffles in the tank and it doesn't affect the handling.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
my tank is always full if you wild camp then its not always possible to find somewhere to tank up

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One small point , have a look where your overflow is, ours is just a pipe at the top that just goes out of the floor, when we first started with this van we were filling up at home , when we got there it was half empty with sloshing about so I have put a inline garden hose tap on it , switch it on when filling so we don't get air locked then off when it's full(y):)

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As we have a Rapido we never travel with a full water tank as we are always near the weight limit anyway, so with weight in mind we never fill the fuel tank either. As we take driving in turns while heading south in the winter it means we can stop at an aire, top up with fuel and change drivers at the same time. With around a third of a water tank we find just enough water for flushing and washing hands then after three days we stop at a campsite and top up with water again, after that we would usually have arrived in Spain and be at our favourite spot with all the facilities. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having done 124 nights in a week over a year
I had to read that twice Mike. 124 nights in a week? You need a Tardis for that don't you?

Back to the OP - we tend to start a trip full and then play it by ear as we move from place to place :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We try not to plan where we are going to end up, especially when on the continent, so we always take advantage of filling up wherever we can, because there may be no water at the next place

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Daft .yes .full tank and containers to cook with.suits us empty waste and toilet as regular as possible.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Always travel full, 85gals. :LOL: No plastic bottle, jugs or cans. Can't feel the difference, when driving. The tank is only about 10" tall, so almost no sloshing around, when half empty. Do not get any sloshing from the 65gal fuel tank either. :whistle:

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
You only make the mistake once of using those fateful words "We're OK at the moment, we'll fill up fresh and empty waste at the next stop"
"Next stops" are notoriously unreliable.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always travel full, and often with additional 2 x 20 Lt containers in the garage and of course a spare cassette, never know when you are going to be able to fill up next.
Been caught out in Germany had to go to Lidl and buy loads of 2Lt bottles, dammed expensive way to have a shower even at Lidl prices.:D

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have a 100 litre fresh water tank and rarely use camp sites (last was about 3 years ago) so always travel full and top up when water is available. I never have more than 25% in the grey water tank except when deliberately filling to flush it out.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
When parked up and it's raining we wind out the awning one leg lower than the other. Then catch the rain water filled are tank lots of times even in Portugal.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Us too, always fill up prior to leaving a campsite. Last thing I want to do is faff about finding the service point when we arrive at a new place. Also in England we use Britstops a lot, these rarely have a water supply, so the van is stored with fresh tank full, waste tank empty and fuel tank brimmed. That way it is ready to go at a moments notice, should the urge take us :D

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
full tanks, and like supermike says, 65 gallons dont move a lot of the bus.
may have someting to being 12 tons with water and fuel and her in doors clothes

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seems almost unanimous then what a surprise that is, other threads have always been on the side of empty!
We have a food grade hose about twelve foot, and always fill when we can get close enough to the tap, and never run out yet.

edriver

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
We seldom use sites so even when travelling from Spain to UK through France our tank is full. Never a problem. You can notice a slight difference in performance through the mountain areas and I suppose a slight increase in fuel consumption but certainly not enough to worry about.
We also empty out our grey water tank whenever possible at appropriate areas.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We always fill-up and when ever possible empty toilet at every chance and always carry two one gallon water bottle's in reserve
bill

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
But that would be about 5% of the total weight. You would not be able to tell with regard to fuel consumption difference unless you drive like a maniac. A satellite dish on the roof will make more difference.

And how many also pump up their tyres so as to maximise the MPG? Every little helps

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Or let them down for a softer ride.:)
I vote for that. The tyre pressures recommended by Fiat are way too high - bone shaking. I weighed each axle (when fully ladened) and then contacted Continental who emailed me the correct pressures for each axle that were a fair bit lower than Fiat's figures. Keep a copy of the email in the cab. .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back