Free Member
May 8, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am newbie to owning a Motorhome, Peugeot Compass 100 Avant Garde. 1 auxiliary power Battery. When at home, motorhome is plugged into mains.Fridge is a Domestic and plugged in when at home.Would like to go to a Rally with no EHU.
My question is:
Can I manage 2 days away without EHU if the fridge is already cold before I leave home.?
If I Heat water up before leaving, could I top up hot water on the second day without draining the batteries.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Your fridge will quite happily run on gas. Your hot water will on gas unless you have a diesel heater in which case it will run on that.

Neither will actually work from your leisure batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How olds your van mate, when you say your fridge is domestic, do you mean domatec if so it should run on gas or 12 volt unless someone has changed it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a avantgarde 150 , 07 same equipment as yours if we go with a full tank of water and empty toilet and at least half full of gas, and full battery we can do three days without any hookup, or emptying or filling.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We did 5 days at the Belgian GP last year with no EHU, the fridge works better on gas than electric, and hot water runs off of gas. Only problem was topping up the water tank. We did give the batteries a small charge from the genny on day 4, because they looked a bit low.

OP
OP
Spots

Spots

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard
Exp
I'm a newbie
Motorhome is 07. I have 2 gas cylinders. The fridge and hot water can run on gas.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Motorhome is 07. I have 2 gas cylinders. The fridge and hot water can run on gas.
That's answered your own question then, you can last for days(y)(y):)

OP
OP
Spots

Spots

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard
Exp
I'm a newbie
NickNic mentioned that neither will work from my leisure battery.
I take this to mean that fridge won't stay cold or work even if I turn control switch to the battery symbol?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
NickNic mentioned that neither will work from my leisure battery.
I take this to mean that fridge won't stay cold or work even if I turn control switch to the battery symbol?

The battery symbol is for when you are travelling. It's a bit misleading as it doesn't actually run from a battery. It will run directly from your alternator when the engine is running.

When you are parked up it needs to run either on gas or EHU

OP
OP
Spots

Spots

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard
Exp
I'm a newbie
Haha it certainly was misleading when son used it last time and asked why fridge wasn't working!
Thank you folks, this is a wonderful helpful with instant answers site.
Make me, a newbie, seem less of a dummy.
Shall now go join in rallies .

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Old adage I know.

Dummy you are not, because there is no such thing as a stupid question. Taught all of my kiddy winks, that one of the best words in the world is "why". :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Anything's easy if you know the answer.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Old adage I know.

Dummy you are not, because there is no such thing as a stupid question. Taught all of my kiddy winks, that one of the best words in the world is "why". :rolleyes:

The only stupid question is the one that hasn't been asked. If you don't know and want to know you can bet a squillion quid that several others don't know either and are too shy or embarrassed to ask.

Reactions: GJH

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The only stupid question is the one that hasn't been asked. If you don't know and want to know you can bet a squillion quid that several others don't know either and are too shy or embarrassed to ask.

Ok then - why is it that I sometimes fart when I sneeze?

Regards,

Trikeman. :getmecoat:

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Best way to keep going off hookup is fit a Solar Panel of 120 watts or larger. This should cover the use of all lights pump tv and computer for a good 4-5 hours a day as long as the sun is out. PS does not do much on a rainy day in the UK.

steve & ann. ------- teensvan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our first motorhome was a 2004 Elddis Autoquest 100, basically the same as a Compass Avantgarde 100. I think the 2007 models were built on the new Peugeot cab but, otherwise, they were pretty similar habitation wise. You should certainly be OK for a couple of days. We managed several trips between June (when we bought it) and October when we bought a portable 60W solar panel. Once we had that panel we were fine for everything for most of the year.

OP
OP
Spots

Spots

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have thought about fitting a solar panel ( what wattage is best?) on the roof however want a roof cover for winter months when not in use.
I guess an area around the solar panel would have to be cut away or is there another way?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Have thought about fitting a solar panel ( what wattage is best?) on the roof however want a roof cover for winter months when not in use.
I guess an area around the solar panel would have to be cut away or is there another way?

The higher the wattage the better it will perform. The usual advice is as much as you can fit on your roof If you aren't going to be using the van through the winter then it doesn't matter if the panel is covered or not. It would be good if you could keep it on hook up though. If you are going to be using the van I guess it won't be covered. Either way I don't see the point in cutting holes in your cover.
We have 2 x 100W panels and 2 x 110ah leisure batteries and with that setup we can stay off gird more or less indefinitely. We use the van all through the winter and don't have EHU very often. That really does depend on your power requirements though.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As Nick said, the bigger the better. It all depends on your power consumption. We manage with a 80W panel on our Burstner which is equivalent to the 60W portable we had with the Elddis, and a 85Ah battery, but our power consumption is modest.

Why do you want a roof cover? There are pros and cons for them and we've never identified a need in 9 years. However, we do keep our van at home and try to use it as often as we can all through the year. As with a lot of "extras" it would be worth seeing how you get on without them before you spend your hard earned cash.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Regards,

Regards,

All to do with pressure and the momentary (but rapid) change in muscle tension when you sneeze dear boy.....

See we all wanted to know that no it wasn't a stupid question at all. :)

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
As I stated in an earlier post 120 watts or higher. We have 120 watt panel and this is enough for us. We travle a lot in France Germany and in 10 years been on 3 campsites with hook up. We did fulltime for seven half years with never running out of power.

steve & ann. ............. teensvan

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Basically, for a tiny time, you loose control of your sphincter muscle. It could be worse than a fart. :sneaky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back