Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Hi,anyone out there with any ideas on the safe transport of 2 large dogs,german shepherd and a newfoundland cross,getting our first motorhome shortly,(newlife Lp) and not keen on crates or seat harnesses,many thanks.

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
We do not like crates or harnesses either so I just suggest making very strict rules from the very start....decide where is safest and best for the dogs to travel and stick to it!! When we had our latest addition (rescue pup) we found that for a few journeys we had to keep him on a short lead....awkward for the passenger but it showed him where he was to travel!! :ROFLMAO: Best of luck and have fun!! Ana x

OP
OP
Frankie

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Many thanks for that,will give it a try:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi, our two travel everywhere with us, I have fitted an eye bolt through the recessed table leg socket so when travelling the dogs wear body harnesses and are attached to the floor, on a short lead they can lie down quite comfortably. Larger dogs would need reinforced fixing bolted not screwed to the floor, when not in use the eye bolt is below the floor level so nothing to trip over. Keeps both you and the dogs safe.

OP
OP
Frankie

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Roger,Thats a great idea,at least they would have a bit of freedom depending on length of lead.:Cool:

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
The harness (from Lidl/Aldi a couple of years back) has a short lead with a seatbelt sticky-inny bit... £3 for a seat belt clicky-inny bit from a scrapyard. Fortunately the passenger seat mount had a suitable hole to bolt it to. Total cost around a tenner.

Dog has room to move around a little and soon settles to sleep!

The lead is short enough to stop the dog going through the windscreen and/or braining me in the event of an accident:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Frankie

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Just looked at the website dogbags,they look really comfy,this may be the answer,many thanks.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi,
Our freshwater tank is embedded in a metal frame which is secured to the wall and the floor and placed under one of the benches.
Our German shepard Giddy wears a body harness and is attached with a lead to this metal frame.

By the way, in many countries, f.i. Germany dogs must be fastened while driving

Harveyx

Free Member
Jul 13, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
You say dogs must be fastened when driving in Germany. Is this law and do police check? What about France, Belgium etc

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You say dogs must be fastened when driving in Germany. Is this law and do police check? What about France, Belgium etc

Well, never heard about such a law in France (and i always had dogs with me). I'll check, just in case, and let you know!

Amicalement
Frankie:Smile:(the french one!:winky:)

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
It's law in Germany and you can get a fine of 35 - 50 Euro
I dont know for the other countries, but will try to check that for you.

Here a part of a German article

Der Hund als zu sichernde Ladung
Genauso wie Gurtpflicht für Menschen oder eine Freisprecheinrichtung beim Telefonieren im Auto eine Vorschrift zur Verkehrssicherheit ist, gehört auch das Sichern von Ladung dazu. Der Gesetzgeber betrachtet auch Hunde als solche, daher ist eine ordnungsgemäße Sicherung des Vierbeiners Pflicht. Wer sein Tier im Auto frei mitfahren lässt und erwischt wird, muss mit einem Bußgeld von 35 bis 50 Euro rechnen.
Unquote

In short, a dog is never allowed on a front seat, if in the car it must be fastened and if in the trunk this trunk must be closed in such a way that the dog cannot go/get into the compartment of the car.

By the way, do you know that, if temperature drops below 7 degrees Celsius and you are driving in Germany and get involved in an accident without having winter tyres you can/will have a hard time proofing that the accident is not caused by the fact that you don't have winter tyres. Its not a law but be aware

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

Hello!

Up to now didn't manage to have a proper answer:Sad:. It seems that nobody knows if there's any law at all :RollEyes:. I've asked to the police department, to the gendarmerie ,then tried insuranse, vet, and this morning checked with the administrative centre of my department (haute garonne 31). When asking, the lady told me i was the first one to ask such a question and seemed to much more worry about the purpose of my question. So now funsters you can consider yourselves as being introduced to the administrative centre of haute garonne, as i explained who was asking!:roflmto:
She, then ,decided to check with their own vet department, asked for my phine number and promissed to give me a proper answer:thumb:. So that's where we got now. I'm waiting and let you know.
I just wanted to keep you informed, and let you know i hadn't forget about the question!:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi!

I have now the answer to the question: nobody could find any law which would oblige you to have your pet in a box ,or, to keep it on a lead in your motorhome while driving. Now make sure that your insurance won't turn the situation ( if you're involved in a carcrash) to their advantage if you didn't !

Hope i answered properly to your question:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

maxitai

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
23 YEARS
Safe transport of big dogs

When we travel in our motorhome, we ensure that our two bernese mountain dogs and our german shepherd are lay down in the back, away from the cab, we put a barrier to ensure this.
We have never had much problem with them moving about and also
put a load of blankets and bedding with them ,so in the case of an
accident(god forbid!) they are cushioned to some extent
paul

diamond52

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
south glos
Funster No
MH
compass advant
Exp
18 months
pets

we,re reasonbly new as well - border collie who dosen't like travel but tolerates it for the th long walks - used to sit under our feet at front but kept creeping closer to hubbys feet while driving!! (he's the main walker) now sits sits almost happily on blanket on rear seats - as long as we keep talking to him - men eh!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Oh yes they have....:thumb:

taken from the highway code....

<<CLICK>> and scroll to item 57....

Hi John

Not meaning to be pedantic, but the rule in the highway code re animals in cars is advisory .. not a Traffic Act ... but in the event of an accident you could be held responsible..

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see 'The road user and the law') to establish liability

jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John

Not meaning to be pedantic, but the rule in the highway code re animals in cars is advisory .. not a Traffic Act ... but in the event of an accident you could be held responsible..

jim

near enough for me.....if it can be used to enforce the law then its near as damn it, the law:winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We have a small west highland white and tbh we allow her to wander about as she likes. She very soon realises that she may be in for a relativley long journey and finds somewhere too bed down and have a snooze

Jim

:Smile:

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
We have two cocker spaniels. We tried the harnesses - caused more distress than enough and when clipped into the two seat belts, found that the seat wasn't big enough for both of them. Left them roaming and found they liked to be between us on the cab floor. So we bought a squishy dog bed to fit between the two seats, large enough for both of them and that's where they sleep together until we stop. Seem to like it too.
:thumb:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
We have a small west highland white and tbh we allow her to wander about as she likes. She very soon realises that she may be in for a relativley long journey and finds somewhere too bed down and have a snooze

Jim

:Smile:

hi Jim ...we to have a westie if she gets to be naughty ie trying to get to cab we put her up on the over cab bed she then goes to sleep
dave
coyb

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back