Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
I am brand new to this hobby and although I now have my Motorhome, I'm yet to have my first adventure. Anyway, I have a 9 month old black Labrador puppy (Frank) and was thinking of putting his bed on one of the travelling, seats and clipping his harness into one of the seat belts, because being only a 6m unit I don't have room for his crate. Any hints or tips for driving with pet dogs in your MH would be very much appreciated.
Craig
57856730746__1B2AED1C-6850-4EBF-B909-FFF236964045.JPG

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
He's a cutey!!
People do all sorts, but that sounds like a good plan, try it and see if it works, Frank will be bound to have his say!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
He is gorgeous!

I have an even smaller van than you but I have a soft crate that fits perfectly between the bench seats.

If the seatbelt doesn’t work, it may be worth seeing if you can find enough floorspace for a crate?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The seatbelt and a harness should work fine. We don't have any seatbelt in the back so I fitted a couple of stainless steel rings like in the photo below. I should add this photo shows the dog lead attached to it, which is useful when we stop and have the door open.

When travelling the dog has a harness clipped to a webbing strap secured to one of the rings.

DSC_0413.JPG

We used a crate for a while but the harness takes up no space and in the event of a really bad accident the dog could go though the windscreen if it doesn't also kill you on the way out. :(

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
That's what we're going to do i think for longer journeys and she might sit in the footwell for short hops.

We get our our van in a month so really looking forward to adventures with our black lab who's 10. Enjoy the puppy choas!

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
The seatbelt and a harness should work fine. We don't have any seatbelt in the back so I fitted a couple of stainless steel rings like in the photo below. I should add this photo shows the dog lead attached to it, which is useful when we stop and have the door open.

When travelling the dog has a harness clipped to a webbing strap secured to one of the rings.

View attachment 341354

We used a crate for a while but the harness takes up no space and in the event of a really bad accident the dog could go though the windscreen if it doesn't also kill you on the way out. :(

OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
Good point, especially a temporary place to keep him safe while he's taking a 'sniff' on a short stop.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
Could be Franks dad! You obviously know Labs then, I'm wondering if by the time I reach my first destination if I'll have any upholstery left :cautious:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we keep our spaniel on the floor, on the basis that an emergency stop never mind a shunt would send him at 20kgs hurtling off the furniture to a sudden shoulder / chest jolt from the restraint harness.

we travel with ours on the floor between the front seats, and "mostly" with his harness and a clip in to a rear seat belt so he is able to move about a little and get a drink from his " tommy Tippy" water bowl..:rolleyes:

we do have a soft crate which has been / is used occasionally.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Could be Franks dad! You obviously know Labs then, I'm wondering if by the time I reach my first destination if I'll have any upholstery left :cautious:
Ah well only 5 or 6 years before he'll start to calm down ?

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Our last dog was a Lab (RIP) who loved being in the van. We had a house at the time, full time now, and as soon as she got an idea that a trip in the van was in the offing she would not move from the back door, afraid of being left behind!

Like most Labs she was obsessed with food but even the offer of a slice of ham would not tempt her away from the door.

I’m sure Frank will love the van too.

Paul

OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
What a nice little tail, I'm sure he will love it!

Our last dog was a Lab (RIP) who loved being in the van. We had a house at the time, full time now, and as soon as she got an idea that a trip in the van was in the offing she would not move from the back door, afraid of being left behind!

Like most Labs she was obsessed with food but even the offer of a slice of ham would not tempt her away from the door.

I’m sure Frank will love the van too.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back