Travelling with dogs to Greece/Turkey (1 Viewer)

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Hi we are just starting to plan a trip from central france to Turkey to see some friends in October 2017. We have a dog possibly two by then (if OH has her way) dog has a pet passport & vaccinations etc. Anyone know of restrictions for taking dogs out of EU & returning? I have searched the web but can't find much listed. At this stage we are thinking of a road trip all the way through Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and Bulgaria. I know the Turkish/Bulgarian border is closed at the moment but hope its open then. Or might travel to Greece via a ferry from Italy. Any advice please regarding the dog or the road trip in general happily received. I know at the moment the foreign office say dont travel to Turkey but we are only going to the north so not too worried.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are no restrictions as far as I know on the route you suggest. it isn't just the EU the passport covers but there is an additional list of countries outside the EU which are treated dogwise as if they were the EU. They are listed on the gov website which covers the passport.

OP
OP
Philiphall

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There are no restrictions as far as I know on the route you suggest. it isn't just the EU the passport covers but there is an additional list of countries outside the EU which are treated dogwise as if they were the EU. They are listed on the gov website which covers the passport.

thanks for that but I notice that it does not cover Turkey in the list anyone know if its ok to take a dog there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
thanks for that but I notice that it does not cover Turkey in the list anyone know if its ok to take a dog there?
If Turkey isn't on the .gov list then then you will need to comply with the regulations for bringing a dog in from outside the EU. My reading of this is that your dog will need a blood test after the rabies jab but this can be done in the UK and you can travel immedeately after the result has been confirmed. If done outside the EU then there is a 3 month wait. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/rabies-vaccination-boosters-and-blood-tests

There are also restrictions on bringing a dog into Turkey, though a glance on this website suggests the regulations may not be strictly enforced. However, if you follow the guidelines for the UK (see link above) you will comply with the Turkish law. http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/turkey.cfm

As always, if in doubt, ask your vet. They should know the answer. :)

OP
OP
Philiphall

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If Turkey isn't on the .gov list then then you will need to comply with the regulations for bringing a dog in from outside the EU. My reading of this is that your dog will need a blood test after the rabies jab. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/rabies-vaccination-boosters-and-blood-tests

There are also restrictions on bringing a dog into Turkey, though a glance on this website suggests the regulations may not be strictly enforced. However, if you follow the guidelines for the UK (see link above) you will comply with the Turkish law.

As always, if in doubt, ask your vet. They should know the answer. :)

we will actually be bringing her back to France so intend to talk to our french vet to get further information, hopefully it will all go well.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Or might travel to Greece via a ferry from Italy
Don't know anything about Turkey but have travelled to Greece many times with our (now departed) doggies. When in the motorhome we always booked Anek/Superfast camping ON BOARD. This means that you can stay in your motorhome with the doggies during the whole trip but have access to all the facilities on board and also have showers and toilets on the car deck. Don't confuse this with Minoan Camping on board - they do not have any open car decks and therefore you have to stay in a cabin. We also found Anek/Superfast staff were more 'dog friendly' than Minoan who seemed to treat them as if they all had some unspecified contagious disease.

Deleted User
Don't know anything about Turkey but have travelled to Greece many times with our (now departed) doggies. When in the motorhome we always booked Anek/Superfast camping ON BOARD. This means that you can stay in your motorhome with the doggies during the whole trip but have access to all the facilities on board and also have showers and toilets on the car deck. Don't confuse this with Minoan Camping on board - they do not have any open car decks and therefore you have to stay in a cabin. We also found Anek/Superfast staff were more 'dog friendly' than Minoan who seemed to treat them as if they all had some unspecified contagious disease.
Yes we have done the same with our three, no problems getting to Greece by road on way out, though it's a very long drive, on way back we used ferry to Italy Anek as above staff brilliant. Sorry never tried Turkey but as long as you record the blood test in the passport your French vet should be able to advise, our oldest had their original passports done when the blood test was compulsory, I seem to remember a belt and braces approach and they gave them two rabies jabs before the blood test to ensure they got a pass, then couldn't bring them back to UK until 3 months was up, this will likely be different with France though, maybe shorter timescale.

Good luck

Lin :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi we are just starting to plan a trip from central france to Turkey to see some friends in October 2017. We have a dog possibly two by then (if OH has her way) dog has a pet passport & vaccinations etc. Anyone know of restrictions for taking dogs out of EU & returning? I have searched the web but can't find much listed. At this stage we are thinking of a road trip all the way through Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and Bulgaria. I know the Turkish/Bulgarian border is closed at the moment but hope its open then. Or might travel to Greece via a ferry from Italy. Any advice please regarding the dog or the road trip in general happily received. I know at the moment the foreign office say dont travel to Turkey but we are only going to the north so not too worried.
Sister in law just had a fantastic holiday down in Marmaris,,whats the Government on about,,BUSBY,,

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Some of the posts on the old Morocco threads may be of use to you as they cover dogs outside the EU,I think 2014/2015 was when it was debated.

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Compass 740
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
Doing a similar trip with a dog in April 2017. Gratifying to know that the Balkans are slightly more relaxed than they were a few years ago. We're not taking a ferry on either the outbound or inbound journey, but taking the 'inland' route down there and the coast road on the way back but going through most of the countries specified. Croatia, Slovenia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Macedonia.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We're not taking a ferry on either the outbound or inbound journey, but taking the 'inland' route down there and the coast road on the way back but going through most of the countries specified. Croatia, Slovenia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Macedonia.

Respect. Proper Job Funster. It's a delight to read that after "The UK is wonderful so much to see we don't go abroad".

You put me to shame, we managed a few days in Slovenia, really enjoyed it but weather was terrible, Italy provided some "dry". Must go back.

There's a BIG world out there FUN people, make the most of it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Doing a similar trip with a dog in April 2017. Gratifying to know that the Balkans are slightly more relaxed than they were a few years ago. We're not taking a ferry on either the outbound or inbound journey, but taking the 'inland' route down there and the coast road on the way back but going through most of the countries specified. Croatia, Slovenia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia and Macedonia.
Who are you with for insurance and breakdown cover, if using the latter. :)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We did that a couple of years ago in the motorhome with our dog Dolly. It was a fabulous journey. Managed to avoid Bosnia by getting the Ploce/Trpanj ferry. Think it cost about 44 euros one way.

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Compass 740
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
Insurance wise we're not sure as we're getting it next month. A couple have said they will issue us with a green card for the countries my current insurer won't touch. We're with Adrian Flux at the moment but have been told that their underwriters will NOT do the Balkans. For recovery, we are with LV who cover all of the countries being visited. Some of the insurance companies do a joint (free?) insurance and recovery so we might look into that. Two companies that I've spoken to are, Carole Nash and Lifesure. Will speak to them after the tenth of March as they'll only give me a quote thirty days in advance.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Insurance wise we're not sure as we're getting it next month. A couple have said they will issue us with a green card for the countries my current insurer won't touch. We're with Adrian Flux at the moment but have been told that their underwriters will NOT do the Balkans. For recovery, we are with LV who cover all of the countries being visited. Some of the insurance companies do a joint (free?) insurance and recovery so we might look into that. Two companies that I've spoken to are, Carole Nash and Lifesure. Will speak to them after the tenth of March as they'll only give me a quote thirty days in advance.
I think breakdown cover is reasonably easy to find, but insurance can be a bit trickier for some of the less frequently visited places like Albania. Good luck with the search. It is possible to buy insurance at the border in a few places but how good it is, other than giving you something to show the police, is another matter. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back