Travelling with dogs - how? (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
We have two Samoyedes, they weight around 20kg & 26kg respectively, so a potential combined missile weight of 46kg, that’s enough to give you a very badly snapped spinal chord in the event of a collision! I have attached a spring loaded galvanised 2 tonne shackle flush to the floor by the hab door, and an extra heavy duty y shaped dual dog lead on a 3 tonne carabiner to the D ring. The D ring is bolted through the floor to a 3mm 100X100mm spreader plate and 4 stainless mate set screws with stainless double nylon nuts and penny washers. They lie on the floor just behind the seat backs of driver and passenger so shouldn’t present a missile issue in the event of a prang! On top of that, they are more likely to survive the crash. Both wear full chest/leg harnesses as standard issue. Was quite an easy DIY fit and cost all in about £10 (we already had the dog lead and harnesses). You will need a battery operated drill, slotted screwdriver, chisel, socket set and an assistant! Simples!

Attachments

• E031E86B-79EE-4FA6-AE6E-AA83897C190B.jpeg
    E031E86B-79EE-4FA6-AE6E-AA83897C190B.jpeg
    900.1 KB · Views: 20
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Our cavachon is 10 years old and lies in his bed between the seats. He's never travelled well and is often travel sick despite giving him travel pills, so whatever way we restrain him he could be sitting/lying in his own vomit until we notice it :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Hi all, looking for some advice ... we had a caravan for a years and the dogs traveled quite happily in the back of the car (hatchback). We are now looking at motorhomes and wondering what people do with their dogs. Ours are older (11 & 9) and have never been in a crate, so that would be a no-no. The motorhome we are interested in only has two belted seats, so there's nothing to clip them into. Do you actually tie your dogs down, or do they wander around? Ours sleep most of the day , so they won't be bothered I expect. If you tie them down, what too? I've seen a harness thing that goes round the seat cushion, I think it's aimed at the back seat of a car, but the cushions in the motorhome aren't fixed so that's not going to work. Confused ...
Ours have harnesses connected to seatbelt. Very easy and dogs do not object. Much.

Sivadar

Free Member
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Accordo 135
I was going to ask same question about restraining dogs. We too have converted from wobble box to MH. If you have to restrain a child in a belt, why not your pooch? A dog is just as likely to fly around in an accident as anything else, and as for those who just say, "oh I can see alright or the dog sleeps all the time," I hope it doesn't happen to you :oops:

ANYWAY......... what do people use as a reasonable restraint for their dogs:cool:?

Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
I was recently on a trip, dog on front passenger seat with padded harness attached to seat belt socket (not using seat belt), and needed a quicker stop, dog swung forward - I caught the handle on the back of the harness and no harm done. I now, after further research, have added another lead around the head rest and also attached to the back of the harness - more stability should the worst happen.

I should also say that my dog is 8kg, and that there is no passenger seat airbag.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It’s the law in Spain, and probably other places, that dogs have to be restrained in vehicles.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use harnesses attached to the rear seat belts. I notice the OP doesn't have rear seatbelts, however a good strong ring fixed through the floor will do, and I have done this on previous motorhomes.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Our dog lies unrestrained in his bed between the front seats.
He is only a small dog so there is plenty of room.
He will travel for hours like this without moving.
Most of the harnesses sold may restrain your dog but would be useless in an accident.
I reckon that most would break if a sudden load was applied.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Our dog lies unrestrained in his bed between the front seats.
He is only a small dog so there is plenty of room.
He will travel for hours like this without moving.
Most of the harnesses sold may restrain your dog but would be useless in an accident.
I reckon that most would break if a sudden load was applied.
possibly the dog would break without a harness

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Rule 57 of the UK highway code states: “When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.”

It’s not a legal requirement set out in legislation and there’s no direct penalty for breaking the highway code. However, you could still be pulled over 'driving without due care and attention', which comes with three to nine points on your licence.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Spanish law says for travelling by road in your own car, the dogs should be secured in EU certified harnesses, attached to seat belt sockets on back seat, or in crates, either behind front seats (small dogs, so small crates) or, in case of bigger dogs, in secured crates in boot of car.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back