Travelling with company (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Just wondering if any of you ever travel together, doing your own thing along the way, but catching up along the journey.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Lynne
I don't know about anybody else but if I can find someone to sort of travel with even if we might be 25 or more miles apart at different times and perhaps meeting up further down France I would do that, in fact I'm hoping to go over to France later on in the year or in spring of 2018.
Best Wishes Tony

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Two sets of friends of ours did this and thoroughly enjoyed themselves,the only blip was that when they met up at various arranged stopovers,there were often places seen by one family that the other family would have loved to have seen.This still happens though,if you both go on seperate holidays...............
The only rule i have when running with someone,is that if traffic lights change when only one gets through,they wait at the next easy parking area for the second unit to catch up,this helps stop Amber Gambler and makes it easy/relaxing all round.
Give it a go,nothing ventured,nothing gained.
Tea Bag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've done something similar a number of times.

We made it work well by selecting a final meeting place for the overnight stop and a couple of other interim meeting places during the day with specific time slots. If either party didn't make a daytime rendezvous we knew we would catch up in the evening.
Trying to stay close together when travelling was too much hassle for too little benefit.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Travelled in convoy once with a Dutch couple. Can't recommend it. One needed fuel when other didnt, one needed gas when other didn't. One could only pay for fuel with credit card so involved stopping at several gas stations to find one that would take credit cards, one wanted lunch when other didn't etc. etc. A few disagreements regarding which was best route to take. Far better to arrange to meet up somewhere at the end of the daily journey.

OP
OP
Lynne Roy
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Thanks for your replies, I agree, wouldn't want to travel in convoy, but it would be nice to know you were meeting up later in the day.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have done it twice if we are up early we like to get on the road we found that we were hanging around for the other couple in the end we just said we will meet you there .

Also we both smoke so we stop for cig breaks :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Never, I hate traveling in 'convoy' even in a car. If we are to meet up with someone we would do it at the destination, not something we do very often, in fact rarely.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We did a C&CC tour last year which was done on this basis - I.e "tonight we're at xxxxx, see you there! "

It worked well and we liked it so much we are doing their Italian tour this May.

Personally I'm not a fan of convoy travelling, but setting off on your own and meeting up later to exchange tales works for us

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We travel with the @Mousy s and it works well. We decided to travel alone and meet up at an agreed destination on two occasions - both times ended in disaaaaaaaaster! ;)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have done it once with Funster friends a few year ago and will be doing it again this year. The first time was round Normandy in France and we really enjoyed it while helping them experience taking the van abroad for the first time.
This summer we're planning on heading towards Poland, we wont be in each others pockets while travelling and will mainly spend time together at our destinations. All we have arranged so far is our ferry crossing and that we will meet them in Berlin on the 2nd night how and when we get there is up to ourselves. After that we will just take each day as it comes, we never plan that much apart from a rough idea of where we're heading so will decide each day where we will see them next.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Travelling in convoy is okay if you both (all) agree on what you want to do/see etc. But in my experience it tends to slow everybody down and is a bit tiring. Far better to agree on a destination; with modern telecoms a quick text/phone call can sort out any problems.

If you MUST travel in convoy hand-held radios can be very useful - but make sure they're legal in the country you're in.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I find convey is fine as long as everyone is happy who is 'team leader', I have done both with parents and in laws, convey and meeting up. Both has worked out fine, as long as no one argues with me... lol

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have done it a couple of times, first time made friends with another couple at a campsite, got on really well, we were quite new to going abroad in the van, tended to do long driving stretches, they were seasoned travellers and sometimes only moved on 50Km to next stop. So we decided to meet up at their next destination. Each had own sat nav, never both took same route, sometimes we arrived firt sometomes they did, sometimes got a text saying found a nice aire at xyz so destination changed. Worked very well, 7 years later we still meet up or do a few days travelling together.
Second time newbie friends followed us, was more stressful, friend had to have a coffee stop around 11 so passenger would start looking for suitable stopping places from 10.45, towards the end of our time away we had other things planned and went our separate ways. We meet up for rallies in the UK and meet up if we can when abroad.
Can work, takes planning, make sure that you both have the same co-ordinates in the satnav too

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
It can be fun. But we would prefer to meet up at your chosen site. We have done both.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back