sueone

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2013
I am a cat owner that is also new to motor-homing. I have seen people take their dogs away with them but not cats. I am sure there must be people out there who travel with their cats. Do you have any tips on how best to introduce my feline to my new hobby? I am so worried that she will run off on our first voyage. She is 8 years old. Possibly too old to start training on a lease and harness? Any info would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I am sorely tempted, but no. your new, and the *FUN* side must be learnt slowly, or it can cause offence. Good luck though!(y)(y);)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
brother in used to take the cat with them in UK. problem was cat always seemed to know when it was time to leave whatever site they were on and hise. they often spent extra night at places.
we take our dog but cats either stay at home or cattery they are too unpredictable for us, but seen lots do it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My parents took the family cat on holiday with us many moons ago. Escaped and got run over. :-(

Cats are much trickier to take away from home than dogs. They have no "pack mentality" and much prefer their known home territory. I think you're risking a lot of potential heartache.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
We have a friend who travells all over Europe with her cats. She has them on leads and has no problems with them. Fun!!! Fun!!! Fun!!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a friend who has taken his cat everywhere he goes (in his caravan). The cat never leaves the van (it won't even when encouraged). He has a litter tray in the shower room for it. Back home, however, it's never in the house & prefers outdoors.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It could be useful for checking the internal dimensions of a MH, plugging a leaking skylight, possible levelling ramp, the list is endless.... Oops, must behave! :)
As others have said, train it to a lead or simply ensure it never leaves the vehicle.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I full timed in my motorhome for a year, then for 9 months in another stint, each time with 2 dogs and 2 cats.
What I learnt:
1. Cover your seats. Duvet covers make good seat covers.
2. Make sure you have fly screens, and a screen door is a big plus too.

My cats were more or less house cats anyway. I got Freddie used to a harness and lead by putting just the harness on him, giving him some treats, leaving harness on for a while, then introduced lead, slowly.
Older cat was able to go outside when we were somewhere away from traffic risk.
I bought 2 large folding kennels off Ebay Broken Link Removed
They could travel in one and could go outside in either one or the 2 kennels bungied together.
I took them into the m.home at home, gave them a few treats, fed them in there. They got used to it and seemed content to be in there very quickly.
Litter tray went in shower tray, which I lined first with some vinyl fabric. You need a good quality litter to eliminate smell. ( Catsan is best) Nappy sacks or dog poo bags get rid of solid waste quickly. A spray bottle with surgical spirit and water ( about 1:5) will get rid of any smell from the tray.
Freddie got really used to walking on his lead round campsites, Maizie was about 17 when we started out and would go outside the motorhome and stay close by. She died this Easter, aged almost 20, and I think she enjoyed her last few years travelling!
You have to be careful if you're camped near a road, of course, but at most sites you can ask for a pitch furthest away from road/ entrance.
Kong make a really good Catnip spray, which will help a cat settle, or you can use a Feliway spray or plug in. Travelling with cats was rea
Ly no more difficult than travelling with dogs I found.
When driving a cat is safer in a crate as there's the risk of them jumping through driver/ passenger window if you roll down window for any reason.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Purdey make a very good shotgun, which will help a cat settle. :sneaky::sneaky::););)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back