Travelling to Slovenia (1 Viewer)

Apr 14, 2017
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Melio 286
Exp
45 years +
Our daughter was locked down in Slovenia fell in love with the place and has decided to stay there. We would like to visit her Covid 19 permitting. Any advice on best route and can we take our 7m motorhome which has been uprated to 3700 kg fro 500 on the Chunnel

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we did it no tolls belgium luxembourg germany austria italy slovenia at 3700 you may need vignettes etc for austria and possible slovenia

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
At over 3500kg you will need a go box for Austrian and Slovenian motorways.
Tunnel at present doesn't have a total size restriction. They only want to know the length for loading purposes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Tunnel is no problem, just tick the motorhome box.... I’ve been all around Slovenia arriving via France Germany and Austria no box or vignettes needed if you don’t go on toll roads, theres only two motorways anyway, north to south and west to east and would only be a few hours long if you did them all... Enjoy..👍🏼

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Tunnel is no problem, just tick the motorhome box.... I’ve been all around Slovenia arriving via France Germany and Austria no box or vignettes needed if you don’t go on toll roads, theres only two motorways anyway, north to south and west to east and would only be a few hours long if you did them all... Enjoy..👍🏼
Just smiffy is it easy to avoid the toll roads ? I went same route as you and my B544 was only 3500KG so got a 10 day Austrian vignette....didn’t know about Slovenia and got caught as soon as I entered Slovenia with a €300 on the spot fine ☹️. Now I’ve got a larger MH...3900KG can’t be bothered messing with a Go Box. Also haven’t got any fancy Sat Nav...just use Google Maps on my iPad and set it to No Tolls....is that likely to take me up tiny mountain roads as happened to me once crossing Italian Alps 😥

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just smiffy is it easy to avoid the toll roads ? I went same route as you and my B544 was only 3500KG so got a 10 day Austrian vignette....didn’t know about Slovenia and got caught as soon as I entered Slovenia with a €300 on the spot fine ☹. Now I’ve got a larger MH...3900KG can’t be bothered messing with a Go Box. Also haven’t got any fancy Sat Nav...just use Google Maps on my iPad and set it to No Tolls....is that likely to take me up tiny mountain roads as happened to me once crossing Italian Alps 😥
I have a garmin camper Sat-nav and it’s always set to no tolls and fastest route, and yes it can take me on some funny routes but I’ve got the time and I see plenty of the country I’m in.... and that is of course why I’m there, never been down a road that I couldn’t get out the other end off.... but only once was I a little concerned..😱

Edit: and I’ve done over 40k miles in the last 4yrs in Europe...

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I can see why she loved Slovenia
Tolls roads needing vignette are easy to avoid, as Just smiffy says there are only two roads and in such a small country the side roads pay dividends in terms of scenery.
I'd avoid Austria and their expensive gobox.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Our daughter was locked down in Slovenia fell in love with the place and has decided to stay there. We would like to visit her Covid 19 permitting. Any advice on best route and can we take our 7m motorhome which has been uprated to 3700 kg fro 500 on the Chunnel
I’m hopefully going from Calais down to Croatia at end of August, via Germany, Austria, and Slovenia, all toll free👍 Im transiting Austria entering at Kufstein then Kitzbuhl, Mittersill, Felbertauerntunnel, Lienz, Hermagor, Arnoldstein, Ferlach, then onto the loiblpass into Slovenia through Ljubliana, Kočevje, into Croatia Karlovac then onto Plitvice (2 nights there then onto Krk for a week) All Covid permitting of course👍

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
An alternative route which we enjoyed a lot last summer is France, Switzerland (Monte Bianco tunnel,iirc) northern Italy and Slovenia. We came back via Austria, Germany and France. Both routes are delightful, but we had reason to stop off in favourite haunts on the way (Verona and Venice).

We are happy to use toll roads to get through the miles in France and Italy. You can avoiding needing a vignette in Switzerland if you plan carefully. Slovenia, we bought a vignette for, as it’s only about 20 quid for 10 days. Available from the services by the border. Coming back we bought an Austrian vignette in a garage an hour into Austria, but lots of tales of auto cameras catching people just across the border, so worth buying before you cross.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
An alternative route which we enjoyed a lot last summer is France, Switzerland (Monte Bianco tunnel,iirc) northern Italy and Slovenia. We came back via Austria, Germany and France. Both routes are delightful, but we had reason to stop off in favourite haunts on the way (Verona and Venice).

We are happy to use toll roads to get through the miles in France and Italy. You can avoiding needing a vignette in Switzerland if you plan carefully. Slovenia, we bought a vignette for, as it’s only about 20 quid for 10 days. Available from the services by the border. Coming back we bought an Austrian vignette in a garage an hour into Austria, but lots of tales of auto cameras catching people just across the border, so worth buying before you cross.
The OP says he’s over 3500kg, the vignette isn’t an option for him👍

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
The OP says he’s over 3500kg, the vignette isn’t an option for him👍
Yes and I think over 3500Kg a Swiss vignette is compulsory even if not using Motorways.....but I could be wrong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back