Travelling to Scottish Islands (1 Viewer)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Been checking the weather forecast for Scotland and the outer Hebrides. It looks crap for when we are meant to be going. So I think we’ll stay around here the Yorkshire Dales area and spend our money where it’s welcome. I’m not sure I want to ever spend money in Scotland again if they want everyone to stay away until Covid is gone. Covid is here now and it’s here forever so with that attitude I’ll spend in my county shops, pubs and restaurants.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
It may be the Scottish Weather that determines where we go, though bad weather is combatted with great clothes

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It may be the Scottish Weather that determines where we go, though bad weather is combatted with great clothes
As Billy Connelly said "there’s no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes !" (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Been checking the weather forecast for Scotland and the outer Hebrides. It looks crap for when we are meant to be going. So I think we’ll stay around here the Yorkshire Dales area and spend our money where it’s welcome. I’m not sure I want to ever spend money in Scotland again if they want everyone to stay away until Covid is gone. Covid is here now and it’s here forever so with that attitude I’ll spend in my county shops, pubs and restaurants.
It may appear that the weather is going to be crap, but Scotland is renowned For 3/4 seasons in one day, makes for fantastic photography

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Cold is ok , it’s wet weather that gets us down and all the wet clobber in the van
That’s what we have a shower/toilet for, to dry our wet clothes, never had a shower in it yet 😱

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Fear of the unknown is powerful but not always rational.
Banishment until the virus has gone ? This virus isn’t going anywhere soon so would you rather those businesses fold, don’t think that’s very fair to them. We are living in a new regime, we have to be careful, but the only way to kill this virus would be everyone stays inside and no-one goes out, that isn’t going to happen is it. My contacts in Shetland are telling me come up in October, so all things equal we will try.
You may think I am being selfish, but no, I have been an accessor of risk for 40 years, this is another risk to consider.

I think you're directing your response at me as if it's my opinion - it is not! The world has to get back on its feet somehow and I for one am all for the adventuring aspect and the 'economy versus the risk' argument in terms of how things can be risk mitigated.

As a risk guy yourself I'm sure you'll look at both ends of the risk spectrum and appreciate the point that an island group such as Shetland, for the most, and relatively insular for some aspects, is quite happy to dither along and enjoy its own pace of life in relative tranquillity and safety.

The fact that you have 'risk mitigated' your visit from your own perspective is not quite the same as looking at things from a Shetlanders perspective.

You just have to look at the issues pertaining to Sullom Voe; the Yell wind farm; Shetland Space Center; the SIC poor management debate, besides many other points so see that the Shetland folk take their community and it's survival very seriously indeed - and to that end they are not keen at all in having outsiders and campers invade the space which in their view is occupied by some of their most vulnerable older residents.

I don't think you're selfish at all but I do think you're way off in terms of thinking that Shetland folk are keen to receive visitors - they're not!

Very best,

Andrew

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It may appear that the weather is going to be crap, but Scotland is renowned For 3/4 seasons in one day, makes for fantastic photography
Aye I know been going to Scotland climbing, camping, walking, motorcycling and now motorhome touring for over forty years. As they say, if you don’t like the weather wait twenty minutes.
We should have been touring on the motorbikes in July but queen Nicola didn’t open the hotels in time. We instead toured Northumberland. The lads enjoyed it that much that we might not go back to Scotland. We did go into Scotland around the north end of kielder water but didn’t stop and definitely didn’t spend anything.like I said if we’re not welcome we won’t go but they cannot pick and choose when we are welcome.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I think you're directing your response at me as if it's my opinion - it is not! The world has to get back on its feet somehow and I for one am all for the adventuring aspect and the 'economy versus the risk' argument in terms of how things can be risk mitigated.

As a risk guy yourself I'm sure you'll look at both ends of the risk spectrum and appreciate the point that an island group such as Shetland, for the most, and relatively insular for some aspects, is quite happy to dither along and enjoy its own pace of life in relative tranquillity and safety.

The fact that you have 'risk mitigated' your visit from your own perspective is not quite the same as looking at things from a Shetlanders perspective.

You just have to look at the issues pertaining to Sullom Voe; the Yell wind farm; Shetland Space Center; the SIC poor management debate, besides many other points so see that the Shetland folk take their community and it's survival very seriously indeed - and to that end they are not keen at all in having outsiders and campers invade the space which in their view is occupied by some of their most vulnerable older residents.

I don't think you're selfish at all but I do think you're way off in terms of thinking that Shetland folk are keen to receive visitors - they're not!

Very best,

Andrew
Understood, and I am not saying that Shetland folk are keen, only that the guys I have been talking to need our cash. You are probably aware that most ’ camp sites‘ on Shetland are mostly community hall or Marina car parks, where it is easy to socially distance, The ferry up, Tesco’s and Aywick shop on Yell will be the pinch points for us and as I do not intend to go to any raves, parties or other currently juvenile and selfish pastimes I hope I will not catch anything or pass it on. I will be guided by my contacts who are on the ground and they will keep me updated on the situation. I think my handle gives you a good idea what I will be doing, so will be miles away from anyone, hopefully 🤩

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Aye I know been going to Scotland climbing, camping, walking, motorcycling and now motorhome touring for over forty years. As they say, if you don’t like the weather wait twenty minutes.
We should have been touring on the motorbikes in July but queen Nicola didn’t open the hotels in time. We instead toured Northumberland. The lads enjoyed it that much that we might not go back to Scotland. We did go into Scotland around the north end of kielder water but didn’t stop and definitely didn’t spend anything.like I said if we’re not welcome we won’t go but they cannot pick and choose when we are welcome.
Without getting political it appears that a lot of the Scottish anti English Visitors is driven by the Independence Movement not helped by the perception that all the Dirty campers were English, which no one has proved one way or the other.
Anyway the site name is Fun so let’s keep it that way.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think you are being a bit unfair, its not all the same throughout Scotland. Some places have excellent trackntrace facilities in place and welcome the tourism. Take Millport for example. We funsters were welcomed as we are any other year. The trackntrace was of the strictest Ive saw since lockdown but our appearance was most welcome.

Hawick is the other town we funsters visited and were welcomed by the townsfolk, yes its had its covid issues but you'd be deluded to think anywhere was really covid free.

Rosco

Free Member
May 17, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I understand what you are saying, but I have spoken to islanders, watched Promote Shetland and Calmacs own videos and all are saying come and visit we want you spend money with us.
normal social distancing systems are in place and they are ready for us.
travelling In a motorhome, is a socially distanced existence so I feel confident that we will be careful and should not cause anyone to catch anything from us as currently we do not have the virus.
Most of the cases are in urban locations, many in ethnic heavy areas or groups of idiots ie 300 at a country house in Midlothian, apart from one site at Dunbar we will be well away from all that.
If you know all that then your not going to listen to any other opinion 👌

Rosco

Free Member
May 17, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Without getting political it appears that a lot of the Scottish anti English Visitors is driven by the Independence Movement not helped by the perception that all the Dirty campers were English, which no one has proved one way or the other.
Anyway the site name is Fun so let’s keep it that way.
So why say what you have just said then❓❓❓❓❓

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Understood, and I am not saying that Shetland folk are keen, only that the guys I have been talking to need our cash. You are probably aware that most ’ camp sites‘ on Shetland are mostly community hall or Marina car parks, where it is easy to socially distance, The ferry up, Tesco’s and Aywick shop on Yell will be the pinch points for us and as I do not intend to go to any raves, parties or other currently juvenile and selfish pastimes I hope I will not catch anything or pass it on. I will be guided by my contacts who are on the ground and they will keep me updated on the situation. I think my handle gives you a good idea what I will be doing, so will be miles away from anyone, hopefully 🤩

Pop over to West Burrafirth for Otters as there is a couple of cheeky little chappies who live in the harbour. They'll forage for food about 7pm and then bring their shells ashore. We've spent many a night there and always had Otters on the doorstep.

The main shop in Mid Yell is the most amazing place I've ever been to and is a proper Aladins Cave.

LPG is just past Brae on the North Roe Road (A970) but you'll need to book in advance.

Fetlar would also be a top otter spotting location and free parking (with toilets) can be done at the Fetlar ferry terminal or at the nature reserve just a few km from the ferry.

Loads of other places to see so have a good time.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Pop over to West Burrafirth for Otters as there is a couple of cheeky little chappies who live in the harbour. They'll forage for food about 7pm and then bring their shells ashore. We've spent many a night there and always had Otters on the doorstep.

The main shop in Mid Yell is the most amazing place I've ever been to and is a proper Aladins Cave.

LPG is just past Brae on the North Roe Road (A970) but you'll need to book in advance.

Fetlar would also be a top otter spotting location and free parking (with toilets) can be done at the Fetlar ferry terminal or at the nature reserve just a few km from the ferry.

Loads of other places to see so have a good time.
Thanks for the info, I have a number of sites I to for Otters I do tend to stay on Yell, not looked around WB before. The Mid Yell shop is the Aywick shop also known as Mary’s shop and as you say you can buy anything in there from socks to wallpaper to compost! Mary travels down to Manchester at least once a year to see family and wholesalers and buys her stock, you could spend hours in there.
No gas needed all diesel and Electric. The Fetlar ferry captain is a good friend and somewhere I have photos of Dee my wife driving the ferry with a big stupid grin on her face 🥴 needless to say she cannot drive a ca.

Coast AL

Free Member
Nov 5, 2018
NORTH DEVON
Funster No
MH
Fiat Hymer 544 (1995)
Exp
DEVON
Well ... an interesting selection of views, We intend to wander way north of the border for a couple of weeks from the 24th of this month. We mainly intend to wild camp and use pub stopovers. We will be managing the risk to minimize exposure to ourselves and others.... while enjoying what is on offer. Sensible precautions taken by sensible people should ensure a safe trip while not affecting the safety of the local populace.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back