Travelling to Scotland in june (1 Viewer)

Cornish Pete

Free Member
Apr 18, 2015
Bodmin cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since1997
any advice re sites and wild camping hoping to make it to Isle of Skye. Booked caravan site in Edinburgh for last week in June. Heading home beginning of july

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Wild camping on Skype isn't a problem. Just keep away from the gypsy areas which you'll see as you travel. Before you arrive at Kyle of Lochalsh turn right towards Plockton and you'll be able to choose many secluded areas. Enjoy the wonderful area.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just go open minded, you really cant fail to enjoy the views, personally I think Skye is over rated, the views of it from other parts of Scotland are better than the views on it, it is a very useful route through the western isles ferry though

Enjoy the drive up there, don't rush just to get to Skye :)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
be carefull not to wildcamp in the passing areas , there are acess rights in Scotland that you don't have in England , if you get to the islands, id try to make some purchases from local shops , it keeps the locals happy . There are plenty of areas to wildcamp in what is arguably the most beautifull part of the UK , there are many stunning areas in this country but Scotland edges the rest

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
You can wildcamp in the car park at the of the Rest and be Thankfull in Argyllshire , stunning . Skye is nice but not a patch on the Isle of Islay , the site at Kintra is out of this world .
Wherever you go I hope you enjoy yourself .

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Wild camping on Skype isn't a problem. Just keep away from the gypsy areas which you'll see as you travel. Before you arrive at Kyle of Lochalsh turn right towards Plockton and you'll be able to choose many secluded areas. Enjoy the wonderful area.

Make sure you take a trip into Plockton, magic little place when the weather is good and the sun's setting

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Been too Plockton some years ago, this is the area that they made Hamish Macbeth, a local copper played by Robert Carlyle, series was made around 1995, and apparently was a comedy drama, but nevertheless, a nice place

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You can easily wildcamp at Portree in Skye. Right on the beach, beside where the buses park up at night.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I'm normally very cautious about where we wild camp and would not really consider doing it in England. But Scotland is just so different and we have never had any concerns. Just be sensible about where you pull up, if there is a local person about just politely ask if you will be ok here.

There are loads of fantastic spots on Skye and the entire west coast. Sadly some folk can leave a bit of a mess behind them and it always made us feel better if we left a spot tidier than when we found it.

Have a great time!

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Newcastleton, Scottish borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
SKYE. Beware of the midges .........we stopped of the road to have some lunch, stepped outside was lovely near a water inlet. A short while later this man parked up and started putting on a hat with net etc.....we thought 'what is he doing that for'........a few minutes later we found out......Ralf eaten alive and one of my labs was covered in midges, strangely I never get bitten.
Been with my sisters and camped on site, can't remember name but was on the way to Portree. The 2 pics are near campsite

Attachments

• skye1.jpg
    skye1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 30
  • skye2.jpg
    skye2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 30
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Been with my sisters and camped on site, can't remember name but was on the way to Portree. The 2 pics are near campsite

Link Removed

here it is, a very useful impossible to miss camp site, dog and family friendly pub more or less adjacent, cant recall the fees but less than ÂŁ20 inc electrics. Nice views, good value

Midges could be a problem anywhere in Scotland and a lot of northern England after mid May, avoid bushes and water, they do not seem to fly when raining though, or if wind is above 5mph, or if sun is very bright / hot (its amazing we ever get to see them really) :D

seriously though they seemed to be far worse first and last thing in the day when we had them, just when dog needed a walk :)

this is a useful link though http://midgeforecast.co.uk/home

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We are hopefully going to Skye in May, will bookmark site and give McKenzie bar a visit as maternal family were McKenzies from the Black Isle.(y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Dawn and dusk are the worst time for midges , if you go for walk ,keep your arms and legs covered there is a tick that can bite and cause illness ,its quite rare so no need to be paranoid .

Give the dogs if you have them a good squirt of flea spray

Watching the sun set from MacLeods maidens was breathtaking, going to a ceilidh is well worth the experience, boy do I miss those glens

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We are hopefully going to Skye in May, will bookmark site and give McKenzie bar a visit as maternal family were McKenzies from the Black Isle.(y)
There's a TV series download able from amazon called outlander , it's set around the McKenzies and frasers , lots of swashbuckling action and amorous scenes

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
There's a TV series download able from amazon called outlander , it's set around the McKenzies and frasers , lots of swashbuckling action and amorous scenes

My sister's read the the books, I've seen the series advertised on prime but was hoping it was coming on freeview or sky someday. Grandfather was a Kenneth Mckenzie seems to be a popular clan name.(y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
My sister's read the the books, I've seen the series advertised on prime but was hoping it was coming on freeview or sky someday. Grandfather was a Kenneth Mckenzie seems to be a popular clan name.(y)

There's a marker to the McKenzies at culloden , they were on of the "rebel" clans

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
There's a marker to the McKenzies at culloden , they were on of the "rebel" clans

Been to Culloden but didn't know about the Black Isle McKenzies at that time, will no doubt visit again and pay more attention, also hope to visit the area they were buried.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
The west coast is fab, many beautiful white sand beaches, tall Craigy mountains and wild rivers to explore, plenty of wild sites, just stay one night leave no mess and move on(y)

Good luck and let is know how you got on(y)

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Hi Pete,
I see you only became a member a few days ago.
Welcome to the forum from motorhomers near St. Austell.
Have a great trip to Scotland - we're very jealous!
Stef.

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Hmm - this is all making me homesick:sick: - do you think I should go back there when I retire or head south to Spain;) Rest and Be Thankful there's a spot. Driven up and down the old road up the valley in Car Rallies in the 80's and 90's - happy days - scares me sh*tless now when I watch the rallies back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back