Travelling through Germany ? (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
For those of you that use an A-frame to tow your car Keep off the Autobahns. We have just arrived in Austria and three Motorhomes in our group all travelling independently, have been stopped ( two by the Police and the other by Customs) from continuing their journey through Germany unless the car was driven separately or choose to leave it with the Police until another driver was available to collect. Those who used the other main routes got through without difficulty. The couple on the next pitch to us whose wife had not driven in Europe, had to leave his Toad then travel back from The Tyrol by train to collect it. Guess which route they choose to journey home !

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you cannot use them why do these people say you can in the adds?
Link Removed

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
As I understand it, even in the UK there is a measure of doubt about the legality of A-frames because, I am told, they do not have auto reverse over-run brakes.

In Europe it gets even more uncertain. Whilst in theory it is the case that for temporary visitors the laws of their home land apply for certain things, it is not an argument I would want to have with a german or spannish policeman when A-frames are clearly illegal in their country.

So, I am afraid, if you choose to use an a-frame in many EU countries you are at risk of being stopped and maybe fined.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We tell all of our customers that they tow a car on an A-frame at their own risk. The legal situation seems very "fluid" in most countries, including the U.K., so why take the risk?

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I have always been interested in these A frames. While working on recovery for ten years, I thought they were a little weird, bercause when we used them, it was for a "disabled" or "casualty" vehicle only, and to a "place of safety"...NEVER for an onward journey.
I have always understood the legality of them to be "fluid" to say the least in this country, and certainly a risk abroad.
When attending police jobs, they refused to accept the "towing dolly" set up used by a lot of recovery vehicles, the RAC and AA only use them for short journeys, and only when ther is an imminent risk, would straight bars, A frames, or a towing strop be used.

With regard to how these things attach to your vehicle, and how they operate the brakes.......to my mind, I still cannot see how they can "interfere" with a cars braking system, and not commit an offence or disrupt the vehicles type approval! It appears to me, that many firms saw a loophole in the law, or rather it turnign a blind eye, decided to make a fair profit on a cheap to make item, and then continually tried to convince buyers that they were one step ahead of the law.:Doh:
I will NOT be buying one for our new baby. when the time is right, we will tow using a trailer, then we will not have to worry what countries we visit, whether some EU law has been adopted or changed, or whether the judge will agree that the salesman who sold me the A Frame is in fact right on the ball with his EU legislation!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back