Travelling in France/Spain with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hey all, hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

We have an 11 year old Staffordshire Bull terrier with no certificate of Pedigree. From reading it seems we could have problems with him in France and Spain.

Does anyone else here travel with a Staff or have any advice on a way around this? (I know with a cert of Pedigree it is fine, but don't think I can get this now?)

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
The list of races considered to be dangerous in Andalucia is at :
Nb there are also a few regs regarding size and weight of dogs t y at should be muzzled when out in public

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Off an unoficial site, but basically correct:
Dangerous Dogs

Any person owning a potentially dangerous dog (perros potencialmente peligrosos) in Spain must have an appropriate licence (by law of article 3 of the Royal Decree 287/2002, of 22 of March 2002) and the dog must be registered with the municipality.

Handlers and walkers of dangerous or potentially dangerous dogs must also be licenced (article 1, 2 of Law 50/1999, of December 1999).

A licence is valid for five years.

Potentially dangerous dog are identified as being in one of three categories:

1. Breeds and breed crosses classified as potentially dangerous:

• Doberman (Andalucia only)
  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Rottweiler
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro
  • Tosa Inu
  • Akita Inu
2. Dogs with certain characteristics of these breeds are also classified as potentially dangerous. The characteristics are:

• Strong musculature, powerful or athletic constitution, robustness, agility, vigor and endurance
  • Short hair
  • Deep chest (60 to 80 cm), height of over 50 cm and a weight over 20 Kg
  • Big, square, head, with a wide skull and strong jaws
  • Broad, short and muscled neck.
  • Straight, parallel forelegs and muscular hindquarters, relatively long back legs standing at an angle
3. Dogs that have a track record of aggression to humans and other animals must also be licenced and registered.

Dog owner licence application

The licence application is made to the municipality of the place of residence. The applicant must take the following (an applicant must be over 18 years):

• Proof of identity (passport or residence card)
  • Proof of having no criminal convictions
  • Proof of being mentally and physically capable of looking after one of these animals. (There are centres test of physical and psychological aptitude can be done and a certificate issued. The certificate must have been issued in the previous 12 months)
  • An insurance contract for the dog with a liability of at least €120,000 (€175,000 in Andalucia)
  • Proof of fully up-to-date vaccinations
  • Proof of identification by microchip
  • Proof that the dog is or has attended training school
Once accepted, a licence (the licencia para tener perros potencialmente peligrosos) is issued.

Dog registration

Potentially dangerous dogs must be registered with the municipal registry for dangerous dogs (Registro Municipal de Perros Potencialmente Peligrosos). Registration of the dog must be renewed annually.

Required documentation for licence renewal:

• Proof of identification and microchip number’s certificate
  • Certificate from the vet stating that the dog is in good health

Walking a potentially dangerous dog

Dog owners or handlers must carry the licence and dog registration document when out with the dog.

The dog must be muzzled and on a lead of no more than two metres long (one metre in Andalucia).

Only one dog may be handled per person.

In Andalucia, dangerous animals are banned from entering children’s leisure or recreational areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Yep, sure enough his breed is on there. Makes it worse that he has no pedigree certificate and is very big for a Staff, so easily mistaken for an American Bulldog.

I found out since posting that he's also banned from Germany, so pretty much a line across Europe just to keep my little dog out :D

To be fair, I can see their point. A few years ago I bought him a 2ft long femur bone for Xmas. He held it in his mouth, looked me dead in the eye and bit down. The two ends fell to the floor and he had the middle in his jaws. Very powerful dog to be fair and if not as well trained as he is, lethal.

Oh well, looks like I'll be spending a few years touring the UK. I have no problem with that - he has to come first. We love the UK anyway :D

The trouble you cause dog :D2
DSC00129-2.jpg

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
We have staffie , been France/Spain a number of times and there is no problem at all. Take him away with you and enjoy.
On his passport will give his breed
Seriously no one is interested unless he resembles a American Pit Bull
We are going to both France and Sapin again this September and we have no worry,s

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We have staffie , been France/Spain a number of times and there is no problem at all. Take him away with you and enjoy.
On his passport will give his breed
Seriously no one is interested unless he resembles a American Pit Bull
We are going to both France and Sapin again this September and we have no worry,s

The trouble is, he does look a little that way (due to his height - very large for a Staff). He isn't, he's just big, probably due to being spoilt for 11 years :D

It's really no issue spending however long he's with us in the UK. Thanks though.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have no trouble at all in France with my Staffie

Please look here on my posting #94.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ance-advice-please.173385/page-5#post-2806037

He's a complete softy

dog.jpg

staffie.JPG

Keep the dog on a lead, walk in a confident manner, stay away from markets or crowded places, I do walk mine on sea-front but keep away from other dogs.
The French people do not know Staffies, they only think Pit Bull so it can be a challenge but you are doing nothing wrong.
However, strictly speaking they are OK as true Staffies but should not be crossed with any other breed.
Keep copy of his Passport handy along with copy of my note and copy of their (The French) of import rules.
As I stated in other post, you may be questioned but just offer the paperwork.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a cross Staffie/Greyhound and never had any issues, we also chatted to an English chap in Spain who has a very fat Staffie who was quite tall too ... looked like someone had given him too many Weetabix! :D We were chatting and I checked that his dog WAS a Staffie as I wasn't sure due to the much larger size ... yup ... he said he keeps him 'large' so it's not obvious what he is! :D2

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks all for the replies.

I think maybe if he were more average sized I might be more tempted. But as he is so big and could be mistaken for an American Staff by someone who didn't know the breeds well, I won't take the chance.

Would only take one overzealous copper and I could have put him in jeopardy. Not going to happen :)

Actually quite looking forward to extended stays in Wales and Scotland for the foreseeable future. I've hardly left Cornwall in 7 years and never been bored so it's really no issue :D

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Totally understand. They are more than just dogs , they are part of the family

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Just copied this from M&C Club site

Taking your pet touring overseas
Dog-laying-outside-on-lead.jpg
For most people, pets are part of the family, so it’s natural for you to want them to join you on holiday. The good news is it’s possible to take your dog or cat to Europe, provided it has been micro chipped and has a valid pet passport.

Getting a pet passport

A pet passport lists the different treatments your pet has had and can be obtained from your local vet. Your pet will need to meet certain entry requirements, so you’ll need to bring your pet, its identity and vaccination records and – if you have them – any rabies test results along with you.

Find out more about pet passports.

Pets on ferries

Each operator has its own rules on pet transportation. Please enquire about specific regulations for your chosen ferry operator when booking your pet’s travel through our Contact Centre.

Pets on overseas sites

Before you travel, remember to check whether the sites you are staying on accept pets, and if there are any restrictions in place about the number or type of pet that’s accepted.

Typically dogs are required to be kept on a lead at all times must not be left unattended for long periods of time. Be sure to check with the campsite whether dogs can be walked on-site or if there is a specific area in which they can be exercised.

Restrictions on pets abroad

Some countries impose restrictions on the type of dog that is allowed to be imported under the Pet Passport Scheme. Please find below the restrictions for France, Spain, Ireland and the Netherlands:

Travelling to France
France has two types of restrictions when it comes to travelling with dogs:

Category 1 dogs – these are classified as dangerous.

• any dog of the type known as American Staffordshire Terrier without a pedigree (also known as Pitbulls)
  • any dog of the type known as Mastiff
  • any dog of the type known as a Tosa without a pedigree
Category 2 dogs – all dogs (except Rottweilers) must have a pedigree and be registered with a breed society.

• Staffordshire Terrier
  • Tosa
  • Rottweiler
Category 2 dogs must be kept muzzled and on a lead at all times in public.

For more information on taking your pet to France, visit the French Embassy website.

Travelling to Ireland
The following breeds of dog must be kept on a leash and securely muzzled when in public, at all times they must wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner.

• American Pit Bull Terrier
  • Bull Mastiff
  • Doberman Pinscher
  • English Bull Terrier
  • German Shepherd (Alsatian)
  • Japanese Akita
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Rhodesian Ridgeback
  • Rottweiler
Movement of dogs and cats between Great Britain and Ireland is administered by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food, and current information is available on their website.

Travelling to Spain
The following breeds are not banned from entering Spain, but they must be registered within 3 months of entry:

• Pit Bull Terrier
  • Rottweiler
  • Dogo Argentino,
  • Fila Brasiliero
  • Tosa Inu
  • Akita Inu

Travelling to Denmark
The following breeds and/or cross-breeds of dogs cannot be taken into Denmark:

• Pitbull
  • Tosa
  • American Stafforshire Terrier
  • Fila Brasielero
  • Dogo Argentino
  • American Bulldog
  • Boerbull
  • Kangal
  • Ovcharka
  • Tornjak
  • Sarplaninac

Travelling to the Netherlands
(Information supplied by the Voedsel en Waren Autoriteit (VWA)

All breeds can be imported into the Netherlands, unless they show aggressive behaviour.

Travelling to Belgium
(Information supplied by the Sécurité de la Chaine alimentaire et Environnement)

There is no national legislation regarding dangerous dogs. However, each individual local authority can impose its own rules, which range from compulsory muzzling to banning certain breeds. You will need to contact the campsite you plan to visit to find out if any local laws apply.

If you are planning to visit other countries please contact the relevant embassy to check if there are any restrictions.

Coming back to the UK
In 2012 the laws around pets re-entering the UK were amended.

Where pets are re-entering the UK from countries participating in the Pet Passport Scheme, treatment for ticks is no longer required. Tapeworm treatment should be administered between 24 and 120 hours before your scheduled entry back to the UK, and rabies injections must be administered 21 days for return to the UK.

Find out more about returning to the UK.

General Advice

• In some countries you may be asked to muzzle your dog in public places or when using public transport.
  • Consider purchasing an identification tag with 00 44 preceding your mobile number if you travel overseas regularly.
  • Check your dog’s passport at the end of your visit to the vet for the tapeworm treatment to make sure the details and date have been completed correctly.
  • Most countries in Europe have legislation in place which requires dogs to be restrained when they are travelling in vehicles so they are not able to distract the driver.
Secondary navigation - Useful information
How to find a vet abroad
Ask site reception if they can recommend a local vet, alternatively try the following local websites

Top questions
This is my first visit abroad with my caravan/motorhome. How can the Club help?

The Club's first time abroad section explains everything you need to know about going on your first overseas touring holiday.

Are the road laws and driving regulations in Europe the same as the UK?
No. Legal requirements will vary from country to country so it's important that you read our overseas driving regulations advice before you travel. This information is also printed in the Overseas Touring Guides.

See more

Special offer
Clinique Vétérinaire Opalia is offering Caravan and Motorhome Club members a discounted price of €30.00 (plus the cost of the drugs which is dependent on the dog’s weight) for the pet passport tapeworm treatment. Visit website

Please mention you're a Caravan and Motorhome Club member at the time of booking.

The English-speaking staff can be contacted on 0033 321 834 602 or by email.

Email now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back