Travelling France should? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You are covered for emergency treatment. It is not a get you home provision, which the EU now requires so you are not a burden on their health services. get you home can be extremely expensive without insurance.

Though the UK advise insurance, France, the gateway to most for the rest of Europe, requires it. I have not checked other port entry requirements .

‘If you are planning a holiday in a country in the European Union (EU), you might be wondering whether your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will still be valid.
As part of the deal announced on 24 December 2020, the UK and the EU agreed that the cards can still be used until their expiry dates.
After that, the government will issue a new Global Heath Insurance Card (GHIC) which will replace the EHIC for the majority of UK citizens.
What is an EHIC?
The EHIC currently entitles you to state-provided medical treatment if you fall ill or have an accident in any EU country, or in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, where the scheme also applies. The same applies to EU citizens who are in the UK.
The cards cover pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, as well as emergency care. Individuals with chronic illnesses, for example those who require dialysis, can travel knowing they will receive treatment on the same terms as the citizens of the country they are visiting.
The UK has issued 27 million EHIC cards.

The cards are valid until they expire. They last five years and the expiry date is printed on the front.
You can no longer apply for a new EHIC.

What is a GHIC?​

If your EHIC has expired (or is about to), you should apply for its replacement - the new UK GHIC.
It will cover chronic or existing illnesses and routine maternity care as well as emergencies, but treatments such as dialysis or chemotherapy will have to be pre-arranged to ensure they are available at your destination.
The GHIC will not be valid in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.
The government website says that the GHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance.
It advises that you should also buy travel insurance which includes health cover as the GHIC - like the EHIC - does not cover any private medical healthcare such as mountain rescue in ski resorts or being flown back to the UK.’ BBC news website source.
No one asked me about health insurance when I arrived in Santander in June.BUSBY.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I have been assured by Nationwide that my policy will cover me for any amber country as it is only if all travel is not advised that the insurance won't pay. The point was made that 'essential' has not been defined.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Where are you now Busby ? Is it busy ?
In la Romieu in s/w France.Quite a few statics rented out but only about half a dozen caravans and Motorhomes.ACSI discount finishes today but it only goes up to 25 euros tomorrow..Need to be on a site as I have battery charging problem..Will probably manage two nights without hook up when we move on next week.BUSBY.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Update from GOV.UK for:

France travel advice​

France travel advice

Change made:
The FCDO no longer advises against all but essential travel to France, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks
Time updated:
5:48pm, 8 July 2021

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
I came across this post on another site when someone asked how they would be treated if they fell ill with Covit in Mallorca when on holiday.
Item 03 interesting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gill and steve

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 676 starline
Exp
New this year 2020
Just been doing a little research regarding travelling to France. Have checked with my insurance company Nationwide we are covered for travel and are still insured if we catch Covid abroad, UNLESS the Government states otherwise. English Government states that we should NOT be travelling to any Amber or red country. So we are not covered for France as they are still Amber.

I see that several funsters have or about to travel to France, how are they covered re Covid. Would very interested in any comments they would like make.

Colyboy
We checked with our travel insurance and we are covered

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
There’s a warning that France could be going red.

Jul 14, 2021
Lymington
Funster No
MH
fiat sunliving S65SL
Exp
B class
Has anyone travelling to France been asked to show a return ticket. We are not sure of when we will return (it will be within 90 days).

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No, we were not specifically asked that on Brittany Ferries but our booking would have shown the return anyway. No one else asked either. We went Plymouth to Roscoff and security going out was about the same as usual, they did ask for the proof of vaccination and letter of honour but never did any fridge checks and it was all very easy.
The return was much more thorough, all documents shown at Roscoff including recent covid test ( done at chemist for 19 euros). Security came in to the van and looked under the seats etc and it was the same at Plymouth including a Border Force official getting under the van to check for stowaways.
Ferry both ways only about a quarter full and all aires and sites quiet,

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
One important thing on there that I didn't know,

Visitors must also have insurance covering medical and hospital expenses, including social assistance, for the care you could receive in France (the minimum coverage required is €30,000)

Does this mean your e111 doesn't work if you haven't also got medical insurance?
The E111 hasn’t existed for a long number of years. The replacement was the EHIC. This was again replaced last year ish with the GHIC. As far as I know the GHIC will only cover emergency treatment. Your travel insurance will cover the rest.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The E111 hasn’t existed for a long number of years. The replacement was the EHIC. This was again replaced last year ish with the GHIC. As far as I know the GHIC will only cover emergency treatment. Your travel insurance will cover the rest.
Correct! I would just add the EHIC card is still valid up to its expiry date in the E.U.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back