Travelling France should? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Just been doing a little research regarding travelling to France. Have checked with my insurance company Nationwide we are covered for travel and are still insured if we catch Covid abroad, UNLESS the Government states otherwise. English Government states that we should NOT be travelling to any Amber or red country. So we are not covered for France as they are still Amber.

I see that several funsters have or about to travel to France, how are they covered re Covid. Would very interested in any comments they would like make.

Colyboy

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
No, took this info from NW website, but it me worth a call to them Monday

thanks Colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If i were in your shoes, I would be waiting for the news of France going Green. The news may be coming on Monday or the Monday after and it will be enacted upon a week after.

So I might be tempted to have a tunnel booking for the 28th, which could be moved without financial penalty and go and enjoy Le Tour

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Just been doing a little research regarding travelling to France. Have checked with my insurance company Nationwide we are covered for travel and are still insured if we catch Covid abroad, UNLESS the Government states otherwise. English Government states that we should NOT be travelling to any Amber or red country. So we are not covered for France as they are still Amber.

I see that several funsters have or about to travel to France, how are they covered re Covid. Would very interested in any comments they would like make.

Colyboy
Try stay sure they will insure for travel against foc advice

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
The nationwide website wording is a little ambiguous šŸ¤” your covered as long as 'advice is not against ALL travel' and France is 'advice against all but essential travel'. I reckon a phone call to clarify would be in order.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Hi here in France there's no problems with Camping cars, plenty parked up in Leclerc yesterday. The local aires are functioning and about 12 cc in there today.

Cycling down to watch the TdF next Monday when it passes about 5km from my house šŸ˜ƒ

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
The nationwide website wording is a little ambiguous šŸ¤” your covered as long as 'advice is not against ALL travel' and France is 'advice against all but essential travel'. I reckon a phone call to clarify would be in order.
And perhaps keep a recording of the call.(y)

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I think its fco advise which rules AFAIK they do not say don't but I could be wrong

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
It depends on what kind of Nationwide account you have I think. Here are the terms applying if you are a Nationwide Flexplus account holder.
You are covered for emergency medical costs abroad unless you are travelling to a country where the Foreign Office advises against ALL travel.
France is not in that category

However you re not covered for cutting your trip short

Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 07.27.03.png

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Lifted this off Motorhomingfrance forum-

COMING TO FRANCE IN 2021
French borders are again open to people arriving from the UK for all who are fully vaccinated but travellers must have proof of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure, they will not be required to quarantine & do not need an essential reason. Please check the French Government website for the latest travel information. See also the 'News Blog' regarding documentation requirements.
Passports: The EU requirement for entering France is that your UK passport has at least 6 months validity & was issued within the last 10 years.
Length of Stay: You are allowed to stay up to 90 days in any 180 days but you cannot return again until the 180 day period has expired.
Driving Licence: The UK driving licence will still be recognised but in addition to your licence, it may be wise to obtain an International Driving Permit (available from Post Offices) as not all gendarmes may initially be aware of the current regulations.
Vehicle Insurance: You will need to carry a physical copy (electronic versions are not acceptable) of your Green Card insurance certificate available from your insurer.
Health Insurance: The EHIC cards will still be accepted (whilst still valid), as reciprocal arrangements have been agreed, but the NHS are not now issuing new cards & a new Global Health Insurance card (GHIC) is being introduced. After your EHIC card expires, the GHIC card can then be applied for free of charge (allowing 2 weeks for delivery). Visitors must also have insurance covering medical and hospital expenses, including social assistance, for the care you could receive in France (the minimum coverage required is ā‚¬30,000)
Restrictions: You will no longer be allowed to bring meat or milk into the EU or any products containing them.
Ferries/ Eurotunnel: It is likely that there will be longer delays in processing passports, etc at the port of entry when entering France as officials may now ask how long you intend to stay/ purpose of visit & where you are staying.
Visas: Visas are not currently required to enter France as a tourist but this may change in 2022.
Pets: EU Pet Passports issued in the UK will no longer be valid. You will need to provide an Animal Health Certificate (for each visit, issued within 10 days of leaving) from your vet showing that your pet is healthy, is micro-chipped, has been vaccinated against rabies & treated against tapeworm (1-5 days before travelling). You should also have a document identifying the pet. In addition, before travelling to France, it may be necessary (check this with your vet) for a Rabies Antibody Titration test (to show that the anti-rabies vaccination is effective) performed at an EU approved laboratory. The test must be performed at least 30 days after vaccination & results can take 3 - 4 weeks to arrive so you would need to allow at least 7-8 weeks after vaccination before travelling to France. It is still not clear whether this test will be required or not.
Mobile Phones: The EU free roaming guarantee will no longer apply but the majority of UK mobile phone operators have said that they do not intend to charge for roaming calls/ data within the EU.
Returning to the UK: The limits for bringing alcohol & tobacco back into the UK have changed - see the article in the 'News Blog' for full details.

Nothing really we did not already know!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

COMING TO FRANCE IN 2021
French borders are again open to people arriving from the UK for all who are fully vaccinated but travellers must have proof of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure, they will not be required to quarantine & do not need an essential reason. Please check the French Government website for the latest travel information. See also the 'News Blog' regarding documentation requirements.
Passports: The EU requirement for entering France is that your UK passport has at least 6 months validity & was issued within the last 10 years.
Length of Stay: You are allowed to stay up to 90 days in any 180 days but you cannot return again until the 180 day period has expired.
Driving Licence: The UK driving licence will still be recognised but in addition to your licence, it may be wise to obtain an International Driving Permit (available from Post Offices) as not all gendarmes may initially be aware of the current regulations.
Vehicle Insurance: You will need to carry a physical copy (electronic versions are not acceptable) of your Green Card insurance certificate available from your insurer.
Health Insurance: The EHIC cards will still be accepted (whilst still valid), as reciprocal arrangements have been agreed, but the NHS are not now issuing new cards & a new Global Health Insurance card (GHIC) is being introduced. After your EHIC card expires, the GHIC card can then be applied for free of charge (allowing 2 weeks for delivery). Visitors must also have insurance covering medical and hospital expenses, including social assistance, for the care you could receive in France (the minimum coverage required is ā‚¬30,000)
Restrictions: You will no longer be allowed to bring meat or milk into the EU or any products containing them.
Ferries/ Eurotunnel: It is likely that there will be longer delays in processing passports, etc at the port of entry when entering France as officials may now ask how long you intend to stay/ purpose of visit & where you are staying.
Visas: Visas are not currently required to enter France as a tourist but this may change in 2022.
Pets: EU Pet Passports issued in the UK will no longer be valid. You will need to provide an Animal Health Certificate (for each visit, issued within 10 days of leaving) from your vet showing that your pet is healthy, is micro-chipped, has been vaccinated against rabies & treated against tapeworm (1-5 days before travelling). You should also have a document identifying the pet. In addition, before travelling to France, it may be necessary (check this with your vet) for a Rabies Antibody Titration test (to show that the anti-rabies vaccination is effective) performed at an EU approved laboratory. The test must be performed at least 30 days after vaccination & results can take 3 - 4 weeks to arrive so you would need to allow at least 7-8 weeks after vaccination before travelling to France. It is still not clear whether t
hisis test will be required or not.
Mobile Phones: The EU free roaming guarantee will no longer apply but the majority of UK mobile phone operators have said that they do not intend to charge for roaming calls/ data within the EU.
Returning to the UK: The limits for bringing alcohol & tobacco back into the UK have changed - see the article in the 'News Blog' for full details.

One important thing on there that I didn't know,

Visitors must also have insurance covering medical and hospital expenses, including social assistance, for the care you could receive in France (the minimum coverage required is ā‚¬30,000)

Does this mean your e111 doesn't work if you haven't also got medical insurance?

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
You are covered for emergency treatment. It is not a get you home provision, which the EU now requires so you are not a burden on their health services. get you home can be extremely expensive without insurance.

Though the UK advise insurance, France, the gateway to most for the rest of Europe, requires it. I have not checked other port entry requirements .

ā€˜If you are planning a holiday in a country in the European Union (EU), you might be wondering whether your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will still be valid.
As part of the deal announced on 24 December 2020, the UK and the EU agreed that the cards can still be used until their expiry dates.
After that, the government will issue a new Global Heath Insurance Card (GHIC) which will replace the EHIC for the majority of UK citizens.
What is an EHIC?
The EHIC currently entitles you to state-provided medical treatment if you fall ill or have an accident in any EU country, or in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, where the scheme also applies. The same applies to EU citizens who are in the UK.
The cards cover pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, as well as emergency care. Individuals with chronic illnesses, for example those who require dialysis, can travel knowing they will receive treatment on the same terms as the citizens of the country they are visiting.
The UK has issued 27 million EHIC cards.

The cards are valid until they expire. They last five years and the expiry date is printed on the front.
You can no longer apply for a new EHIC.

What is a GHIC?​

If your EHIC has expired (or is about to), you should apply for its replacement - the new UK GHIC.
It will cover chronic or existing illnesses and routine maternity care as well as emergencies, but treatments such as dialysis or chemotherapy will have to be pre-arranged to ensure they are available at your destination.
The GHIC will not be valid in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.
The government website says that the GHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance.
It advises that you should also buy travel insurance which includes health cover as the GHIC - like the EHIC - does not cover any private medical healthcare such as mountain rescue in ski resorts or being flown back to the UK.ā€™ BBC news website source.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One important thing on there that I didn't know,

Visitors must also have insurance covering medical and hospital expenses, including social assistance, for the care you could receive in France (the minimum coverage required is ā‚¬30,000)

Does this mean your e111 doesn't work if you haven't also got medical insurance?
The requirement for travel insurance was discussed earlier this year I think, and I believe it is now compulsory alongside your EHIC/GHIC.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The requirement for travel insurance was discussed earlier this year I think, and I believe it is now compulsory alongside your EHIC/GHIC.
We have always had cover, but a lot on here say they don't , it now looks as it is a necessity.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We have always had cover, but a lot on here say they don't , it now looks as it is a necessity.
Since having the motorhome we have never bought separate health insurance just had the E111. Just looking today and I think we will now need this extra as well if any knowledgable person knows
Also looking on compare the market it says you are not covered for amber countries traveling against F O advice. so now confused.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

Colyboy

I've just called the caravan club and as long as France is on amber you are not covered

I also called Staysure insurance.
Basic cover both of us with existing problems but as was said previously they do an extension that allows cover against Government advice for travel so we are covered for France as we have had double vaccine. Just over Ā£200 single trip 40 days

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For anyone that doesn't know, if you insure your house with nfu you can get full travel insurance for a year for about Ā£50 for two although that doesn't cover pre existing.

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Hi,
sorry, cant quote Shrimps section on pet Passport from MohoFrance but I think the bit about Rabies titre is not correct. UK is a Tier 2 country,not Tier 3 so titre is not required, just evidence of upto date vaccination,
tk

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

COMING TO FRANCE IN 2021
Pets: EU Pet Passports issued in the UK will no longer be valid. You will need to provide an Animal Health Certificate (for each visit, issued within 10 days of leaving) from your vet showing that your pet is healthy, is micro-chipped, has been vaccinated against rabies & treated against tapeworm (1-5 days before travelling). You should also have a document identifying the pet. In addition, before travelling to France, it may be necessary (check this with your vet) for a Rabies Antibody Titration test (to show that the anti-rabies vaccination is effective) performed at an EU approved laboratory. The test must be performed at least 30 days after vaccination & results can take 3 - 4 weeks to arrive so you would need to allow at least 7-8 weeks after vaccination before travelling to France. It is still not clear whether this test will be required or not.

Drove into France from Spain,no checks at all. BUSBY.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It is not a get you home provision, which the EU now requires so you are not a burden on their health services. get you home can be extremely expensive without insurance.

We usually insure with the Caravan Club, which provides repatriation. As has been said above, the Club is not insuring you to travel to an Amber country.

Does anyone know who else provides repatriation insurance?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
It is not a get you home provision, which the EU now requires so you are not a burden on their health services. get you home can be extremely expensive without insurance.

We usually insure with the Caravan Club, which provides repatriation. As has been said above, the Club is not insuring you to travel to an Amber country.

Staysure is full cover. Hang fire though because 26th July could be Green to go. Oh forgot Macron has yet to block it

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
When I checked with N/W plus insurance I was advised to ckeck the F.C.D.O Web site just before departure if they advise agains travel your not insured.
Advice today
Screenshot_20210701_142138_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Try your bank ? Our Scottish friends were covered by the travel insurance which they pay for with the Clydesdale Bank . 7 weeks in ICU in France and air ambulance home to Edinburgh plus hired car when here for wife to go back and forward to Limoges . Superb service with follow up calls every two days . Mind you not sure about Covid times . Also remember in France your EHIC or equivalent only covers 70% so you are liable for the other 30% which can prove expensive .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rabies Antibody Titration test (to show that the anti-rabies vaccination is effective) performed at an EU approved laboratory. The test must be performed at least 30 days after vaccination & results can take 3 - 4 weeks to arrive so you would need to allow at least 7-8 weeks after vaccination before travelling to France. It is still not clear whether this test will be required or not.
Hi,
sorry, cant quote Shrimps section on pet Passport from MohoFrance but I think the bit about Rabies titre is not correct. UK is a Tier 2 country,not Tier 3 so titre is not required, just evidence of upto date vaccination,
tk
I suspect the MoHoFrance site hasn't been updated (or that part of it hasn't) as you are correct that the Titre test is not a requirement for pets travelling from the UK to France.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I suspect the MoHoFrance site hasn't been updated (or that part of it hasn't) as you are correct that the Titre test is not a requirement for pets travelling from the UK to France.
I have enough of a problem understanding what tests are needed for us to travel without worrying about pets..BUSBY.šŸ˜€

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Colyboy
They covered the wife and I. We crossed over Tue.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Being as we are double jabbed I think our chances of Covid making us I'll is rather low,,Too old now to worry about things like that anyway.BUSBY.šŸ¤£

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Oh forgot Macron has yet to block it
I just had a Portugese link pop up on my phone stating that the French are 'advising' there citizens not to book Portugal or Spain, especially CataluƱa area for vacations. Also stated that, whilst it is 'Advice' now, it could well change to rules shortly ,as in quarantine for any when returning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back