LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
is it safe/adivisable to travel with the gas on, its never been in my mind before, but now we have an AES fridge it started me thinking, with the bulkhead fitted regulators, can it be done saftly.

heres a pic of my install
20170610_125336.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With your setup no. To travel safely with the gas on you need a secumotion regulatior which has crash protection sensor and anti rupture hozes (or cyclinders with built in anti rupture) I see nither in your set up.
AES fridge will select 12v when the engine is running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
With your setup no. To travel safely with the gas on you need a secumotion regulatior which has crash protection sensor and anti rupture hozes (or cyclinders with built in anti rupture) I see nither in your set up.

Thanks for that info very helpfull(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its up to you, you don't have the 'safety' stuff that they make nowadays as already mentioned, but an AES fridge IMV is meant to be able to select it's own power source all the time without your intervention ... if you don't have the gas turned on obviously it negates the AES function as you'll have to manually switch it to gas when the engine is off (12v will be used whilst driving).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have never switched our gas off. Our Hobby heating system is designed to heat the hab area on the move.
The heating may be designed to be used on the move but you still need the relevant safety equipment to use it on the move, i.e. crash sensor regulator and anti rupture hoses. Otherwise you are a danger to yourself and other road users and more importantly if you have a prang the rescue services.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Its up to you, you don't have the 'safety' stuff that they make nowadays as already mentioned, but an AES fridge IMV is meant to be able to select it's own power source all the time without your intervention ... if you don't have the gas turned on obviously it negates the AES function as you'll have to manually switch it to gas when the engine is off (12v will be used whilst driving).

Thats what made me ask the question, The manaul says something about a delay after coming off of 12volt (ie when driving) before to switching to gas in case your in a petrol filling station, which makes sence to me. To be honist its no problem just turning it off at the bottol.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Unit ...With crash sensor....

IMG_3922.JPG
IMG_3923.JPG

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The heating may be designed to be used on the move but you still need the relevant safety equipment to use it on the move, i.e. crash sensor regulator and anti rupture hoses. Otherwise you are a danger to yourself and other road users and more importantly if you have a prang the rescue services.
Ok, think about it. Hobby have installed a heating system designed to be used on the move. They have printed a user manual telling you this. If there were any regulations and laws covering this I would imagine they comply (they do, I have checked). I was answering @Scout 's post " is it safe/advisable to travel with the gas on?" that's all @Lenny HB :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My Fiat cab heating is so poor that you need the habitation heating on to keep warm (in winter). Interestingly, I have all the equipment fitted to enable this but I'm not aware of anything that controls use when in a petrol station. I know the flame is not as exposed as that in a fridge but the surrounding air still has access to it.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Do the new Hyemrs have this? (I'd look but it still at the mender's :()

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
On the last 2 vans we have had the
Duo changeover option which comes with it. Not sure what they fit as standard if it is the bottle top regulator no, if a bulkhead regulator yes.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007

Standard on my 2016 Hymer Exsis was a bottle top regulator. I think if you specify the Duo changeover it will be the crash sensor version with anti rupture pipes ( and the heated regulator?).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've got a crash sensor, stainless steel hoses, and a fridge with an automatic selector. We still travel with the gas off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
( and the heated regulator?).
For use when temperature is below 5 deg to reduce the risk of regulator freezing. Never needed to use it in the Exsis we had and unlikly to use it in the DL as the gas locket is in the garage which is heated.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
For use when temperature is below 5 deg to reduce the risk of regulator freezing. Never needed to use it in the Exsis we had and unlikly to use it in the DL as the gas locket is in the garage which is heated

Yep, I just wasn't sure if it came as part of the duocontrol option or was another thing you had to ask for.

I've upgraded our std bottle top reg to a Truma CS regulator and a separate Duo changeover - Its then cheaper to just change the regulator if it fails than having to swap the combined regulator/changeover that Hymer fit. I didn't bother adding the heater:)

We only turn off the gas when refilling our Alugas bottles or on the ferry/tunnel...

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Well I keep mine on so SWMBO can get lunch ready for when we stop and can't run barbecue with no gas on
images (3).jpg

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I always turn our gas off when traveling, but as the dog also travels in the gas locker, she turns it on when we stop. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yep, I just wasn't sure if it came as part of the duocontrol option or was another thing you had to ask for.

I've upgraded our std bottle top reg to a Truma CS regulator and a separate Duo changeover - Its then cheaper to just change the regulator if it fails than having to swap the combined regulator/changeover that Hymer fit. I didn't bother adding the heater:)

We only turn off the gas when refilling our Alugas bottles or on the ferry/tunnel...
Did you fit the remote indicator? I find that most important with an auto changeover.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Did you fit the remote indicator? I find that most important with an auto changeover.

No i didn't fit one as I couldn't find an easy route to feed the wire through to the control panel area in the cab. Also I was suspicious that it wouldn't be very reliable based on my old van which never activated the indicator properly. However this one seems pretty good so maybe I'll fit one as it would be nice to see when it changes over:)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My 2015 Hymer Mli 580 came with protection. One button on the high pressure hose protecting that side of the system and a green one on the regulator covering the rest. Some cylinders e.g. The latest Alugas have rupture protection built in but I think this only covers the high pressure protection up to the regulator.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No i didn't fit one as I couldn't find an easy route to feed the wire through to the control panel area in the cab. Also I was suspicious that it wouldn't be very reliable based on my old van which never activated the indicator properly. However this one seems pretty good so maybe I'll fit one as it would be nice to see when it changes over:)
Well worth the effort, easy to get the wires through an Exsis.
Had a factory fitted ones in the Exsis and the current van, not had any problems at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back