Traveling Backwards (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Ok, stupid question time! Is the front seat passenger allowed to swivel the seat round and travel "backwards"? Not really thought about it before and I can't see anything in my Insurance that says they can't.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You are kidding aren't you????? o_O

How on earth do you expect the seat belt to work? :eek:

Also doing so, even without anyone sitting in it, would impede your vision anyway so IMV a no-no! :rolleyes:

... you been out on the razzle???? :D

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I imagine it would contravene the seat belt rule where all passengers must be belted up where there is a seat belt provided, or words to that effect. I can't imagine it would function even if it could reach around to fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
You are kidding aren't you????? o_O

Also doing so, even without anyone sitting in it, would impede your vision anyway so IMV a no-no! :rolleyes:

... you been out on the razzle???? :D

Nope, the seat belt is incorporated into the chair swivel mechanism. Meaning no matter what position the seat is in, forwards or backwards, the seatbelt isn't any different. You can sit in the seat, put the belt on, and turn yourself around. When the seat is pointing backwards it doesn't impede the vision out of the window or mirror either.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Nope, the seat belt is incorporated into the chair swivel mechanism. Meaning no matter what position the seat is in, forwards or backwards, the seatbelt isn't any different. You can sit in the seat, put the belt on, and turn yourself around. When the seat is pointing backwards it doesn't impede the vision out of the window or mirror either.
But it probably isn't locked - therefore insecure.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Sorry - tinternet went slow.

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
The seat may lock but the seat belt inertia reel will not lock in such a way as to secure the wearer, therefore illegal and extremely unsafe. Further if seat belt has S R S integral to its installation it is likely that this alone will malfunction and potentially cause serious injury.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The seat may lock but the seat belt inertia reel will not lock in such a way as to secure the wearer, therefore illegal and extremely unsafe. Further if seat belt has S R S integral to its installation it is likely that this alone will malfunction and potentially cause serious injury.

I sort of understand that but in my van I have a dinette with 2 forward facing seats and 2 rear facing, all belted. Would the rear facing ones be ineffective?

I should add that we had them fitted as a precautionary extra but have never actually used the rear facing ones

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't see why not other than driver visibility as you can in the back of the likes of VW Caravelle, in our van the seat would affect the drivers view out of the side window and possibly even mirrors so that would make it a no no.

Martin

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had an RV and passenger seat used to lock in position forward or backward so the passenger, with the integrated belts, could face front or rear, Similar with the Tub Chairs, with integrated belts, they can face any direction, but for travelling it's safest to lock it, either forward or rear facing.

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
:giggler::giggler:
In our Moho, both passenger and driver seat have these integral seat belts and the seats both lock pointing backwards. I do find it quite uncomfortable to reach the steering wheel and brake pedal in this position though. Accelerator is OK though as I could just use the cruise control.:giggler::giggler:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I'm no expert, but I thought that inertia reels locked with increased G force in any direction. They do in high performance cars to hold driver in when cornering. In this case rear facing passenger should be OK. Also if the seat is up to standard, the seat back would support the passenger, making him/her more secure. In early passenger aircraft, all passengers faced rearwards for that reason. Having said that, I don't even like facing backwards on a train. I think @joka250 's 2 rear facing dinette seats would be fine, but it might be worth checking with the supplier. I can't' see he would have fitted them if it were not safe to use on the move.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You would have to ask the vehicle manufacturer as the seat may not be design to take the force of a human body in that direction - it could fold flat and the occupant torpedo forward through the windscreen.

Some RAF passenger aircraft have rearward facing seats as it is safer in a crash - but the seats and seat anchorages are designed appropriately. You couldn't just turn around the seats in a standard airliner - they would probably collapse.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
The rear facing seats at the dinette on our old Bessi were factory fitted and had inertia units. The front seats on the Rapido have integrated belts, the seat swivels lock in both the forward and rear facing positions.
Cheers
Ed

Upvote 0

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
All the travelling seat are forward facing ie side bench seats etc don't have seat belts. Dealers always say how many forward facing travelling seats there are in a van so I'm guessing there is a rule about this somewhere.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Ok, stupid question time! Is the front seat passenger allowed to swivel the seat round and travel "backwards"? Not really thought about it before and I can't see anything in my Insurance that says they can't.
There's nothing in the seat belt legislation that would make this illegal, so the only offence that might possibly be relevant is 'dangerous condition', which includes carrying passengers in "position, condition or circumstances" that create danger to anyone. This could include restricted vision for the driver as well as danger to the affected passenger(s).

In my judgement, this offence would not be made out in the situation you describe. I have done it and I consider it perfectly safe, possibly even safer.

(Disclaimer: all the above is from memory - I've not looked anything up.)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What MH have you got? Your profile says your still looking! :)

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Our Adria has a rear facing 5th seat with belt, not sure I would want to be in it though myself as you have to move a framework sideways that is the side bench

Andy

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Given that there are members of this forum who think it's OK to get up and make a brew whilst on the move, it's difficult to see how sitting in a locked and belted rear facing seat would be a major problem.

Unless of course someone was in the back making a brew when the brakes were slammed on.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

The seat belt works perfectly well. On swivel seats the seat belt and all the anchor points are built in to the seat frame so they can be used no matter what position the seat is in.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
All the travelling seat are forward facing ie side bench seats etc don't have seat belts. Dealers always say how many forward facing travelling seats there are in a van so I'm guessing there is a rule about this somewhere.

Travel seats can be forward or rear facing. You're correct about side facing though.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Sorry - tinternet went slow.

The seat locks pointing backwards as well as forwards. As mentioned before, the seatbelt and seat swivel as one.

Some lock in the rear position, some don't.

If they do lock in the rear position there's no problem.

We've travelled like that loads of times.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Given that there are members of this forum who think it's OK to get up and make a brew whilst on the move, it's difficult to see how sitting in a locked and belted rear facing seat would be a major problem.Unless of course someone was in the back making a brew when the brakes were slammed on.

Traveled on a South Eastern Train last week, out of interest turned on my phones speed ap - top speed 140 MPH............. no seat belt, no air bags and you could walk about...............

:)

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I can’t see that it’s a problem,but why would anyone want to travel facing the back???

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I can’t see that it’s a problem,but why would anyone want to travel facing the back???
If it's anything like the front passenger seat in a RHD MH when being driven in Italy I can certainly understand NOT wanting to face all the idiots coming towards you at high speed! :eek:

Seriously though, I suppose if there are rear passengers it means the front passenger can chat/see what they're doing whilst travelling. I still don't understand how the driver's side vision isn't affected though due to the large seat back being in the way.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I still don't understand how the driver's side vision isn't affected though due to the large seat back being in the way.

It depends on the seat position I suppose. It will still slide forwards and backwards so can be positioned to suit the driver.

We've travelled like that and I didn't find my vision to be obstructed at all.

Upvote 0

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I still don't understand how the driver's side vision isn't affected though due to the large seat back being in the way.

As I see things, not only the drivers side vision, but also rear vision would be impaired. The latter because the seat back and/or passenger might obstruct the nearside mirror. Not an (illegal?) problem if there is a rear window that can actually be seen out of, but it is if there isnt. Having said that, not being able to see out of the nearside mirror could cause problems for other road users such as cyclists coming past between kerb and MH.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If it's anything like the front passenger seat in a RHD MH when being driven in Italy I can certainly understand NOT wanting to face all the idiots coming towards you at high speed! :eek:

Seriously though, I suppose if there are rear passengers it means the front passenger can chat/see what they're doing whilst travelling. I still don't understand how the driver's side vision isn't affected though due to the large seat back being in the way.
But if you’re not facing the front you wouldn’t be able to do that quick intake of breath and draw in your elbows when the white van man is about to take off your wing mirror,thereby missing all the fun.:D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back