Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Went down through Hungary, Serbia and Macedonia before Christmas. What do you want to known? BTW when you get to Greece don't call it Macedonia, its FYROM! The Former Yugoslavian Republic Of Macedonia!!!

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Thanks Dick. I suppose we would like some pointers on routes, 'must see', places not to go. Any security issues. Availability of LPG. What to take. Anything anyone thinks important.
Did this on our first trip to Morocco and learnt a lot before we went. Returned many times.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are a lot of threads on here about travel to Greece so I can only suggest using the search facility to find them. Issues for me, when I looked at it was finding insurance for Albania. Your insurance won't cover you for Bosnia either I suspect but it is possible to get around the bit of Bosnian coast by taking the ferry from Ploce to Trpanj. Or, as I am considering, take a ferry from the south of Italy going out but return overland via Bulgaria and Rumania. :)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Went down through Hungary, Serbia and Macedonia before Christmas. What do you want to known? BTW when you get to Greece don't call it Macedonia, its FYROM! The Former Yugoslavian Republic Of Macedonia!!!

Dick

Dick

I have been laughing at the Greeks for years over this dispute over the name. Also the Greek Officials who have been earning off the dispute must have been 'laughing al the way to the [Swiss] bank'

The irony is that the word 'Macedonia' is still in the name.

Can you imagine the uproar in Greece if it were referred to as the 'Former Province of the Ottoman Empire'? Or the outcry from other countries if the Greeks insited that parts of the Middle East were referred to as 'Former parts of the 'Empire' of Phillip of Macedonia'?

Where I live in southern Poland was once part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and names reflect it. People have got over it, but some Greeks can be childish.

Geoff

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Thanks Dick. I suppose we would like some pointers on routes, 'must see', places not to go. Any security issues. Availability of LPG. What to take. Anything anyone thinks important.
Did this on our first trip to Morocco and learnt a lot before we went. Returned many times.
As has been said apart from the route via Bulgaria or Italy you will need green card cover, some insurers will issue some won't especially for Albania. You can buy 3rd party insurance at the border. I have been through Albania as well. If you are transiting this countries only it is pretty straightforward. If you want to go off piste let me know which route you choose and I'll tell you my experience

Dick

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Dick

I have been laughing at the Greeks for years over this dispute over the name. Also the Greek Officials who have been earning off the dispute must have been 'laughing al the way to the [Swiss] bank'

The irony is that the word 'Macedonia' is still in the name.

Can you imagine the uproar in Greece if it were referred to as the 'Former Province of the Ottoman Empire'? Or the outcry from other countries if the Greeks insited that parts of the Middle East were referred to as 'Former parts of the 'Empire' of Phillip of Macedonia'?

Where I live in southern Poland was once part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and names reflect it. People have got over it, but some Greeks can be childish.

Geoff
Agreed, they are particularly incensed at the Macedonian appropriation of Alexander and Philip too Geoff. I noticed in Skopje that their is a lot of new statues of them both! I was surprised though to see that it is referred to as FYROM on the international insurers green card.

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
We whet to Greece in 2015 having traveled through Croatia then Montenegro into Albania where our fist stop was Camping Resort Lake Shkoder first class site with the cleanest toilets and showers we have come across, site beside the lake with very reasonable priced restaurant where you can buy fresh bread in the morning, pitches have water and electric and a shaded area,
Our next stop was Camp Paemer ,Kavaje Nr Durres site was in a lovely position but used our own toilet etc and was 18 euros a night, we then made our way to Camping Kranea, Livadh Himare 15euros which involved driving over the mountains where the the roads were very poor, we wished we had stopped at Rezidentia Cekodhima ,Kanine ,just past Vlore (hotel which allows vans to stay) to break the journey up as you need to be alert what with the driving standard of the Albanians and the condition of the roads, but we did enjoy it and will probably head that way again sometime. Having completed our trip around the Greek mainland we made our way into Macedonia and stayed at Camping Sunrise on Lake Orhid and could not have been made more welcome after which we when they back into Albania etc

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back