Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The site for travel partners is ready for visitors, though it still is a work in progress. If you are looking for a travel partner then please do log in as I am doing some complimentary memberships for subscribers to fun.

Copied and pasted from the site to give you an idea about what I'm trying to do.

Find a Trail Mate
You really do want to take that road trip to Morocco but feel uncomfortable with the idea of going it alone? We provide a community so that men and women who are seeking to take their dreams on the road can find like-minded people to share with. This is not a dating site and while it might turn out to be a great place to find a member to travel happily ever after with, we also want it to become a place to hook up with anyone. So couples travelling with couples. Women looking to travel with other women etc.

Check them out
We strive to provide the tools to check out prospective travel mates. You can spend time with them, have personal conversations. Arrange to meet in neutral territory, maybe in the company of other trailmate members

Plan, Share and review
You can use the experiences of the community to help you research your trips. We make that easy to share with blogs, Facebook® share links and activity feeds for all to see. Share your adventures and inspire others the way hopefully others shared & inspired you! The strength of our community lies directly with the transparency and honesty of our members. Tell others about your trip … what would help make the next visit better? Help us turn this into a great travel portal

A couple of the FAQ's

Does it cost anything to become a member of Trailmates?
Membership is presently set at £5 a month, payable quarterly. or at £50 per year.

Why do you charge at all when there are other sites that provide similar services for nothing?
We feel that affordable annual fee, we attract members who are really interested in finding a travel companion. The “Free” websites are chock full of trolls, scammers and time wasters. They may have many members but they are dormant, filled by people who filled a profile on a whim and are never seen again. These ghosts are allowed to remain as it boost the websites membership numbers, but does nothing to help you get a travel partner. Members here are paying because they are committed to finding a travel partner. Meanwhile we are able to check that bank and card details match given names which builds in a little extra security.

Running this site will be labour intensive and charging a small membership fee also means we are able to recover our running costs and pay us for the work we do in providing the service.

Can I search for a trail mate before I pay a subscription?
The simple answer is No. If you are committed to finding a trailmate then the nominal fee is a small price to pay for the service we provide.

So, if this is something you might be interested in then please log in and get a free 3 month subscription. Though please ONLY if you are interested in using the service. Thanks. http://www.trailmates.co.uk

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
what abut one for family travellers Jim just to keep you bushy
I am sure there are motor home users with family's who want to buddy up:Eeek:
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i dont understand dont we already have a rally forum people joining there will travel together ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
i dont understand dont we already have a rally forum people joining there will travel together ?

It's easy Bill yes some of us do meet up and but that has been built up over time mostly through fun by Funsters who know one another,

This is a way for people who are not as well aquatinted and would like the extra security to get to know one another and become travel buddies, also sort out the time wasters you would no doubt get, as well as the plain nosey Parkers :Smile:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi jim, im on your new site ,trailmates..
still not got my head round it completely...it was introduced via the solo section on fun ,and I believe you asked for interested solo members of fun to express an desire to help get the site off the ground..
my question is, is it a solo exclusive site....
reading the home page it seems not, but I have not seen a definite reply to that question..
if it isn't solo exclusive , then why will people pay a further membership subscription when everything else can be done on the current fun site, ie go to normal meets, build up a circle of friends and arrange any travel/holidays to suit.....
would love to hear what you and others think, and help me get my head round it :unsure:

ps .how about a years free subscription for the volunteers :D

I posted this on an old thread , but thought I would add here to see what people say

ta andy

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
carol for the life of me i dont understand when you say nosey parkers ?maybe its me being totally dimwit time wasters i dont know people put down for a rally and pull out we have all done that as for security i would have thought the best is on this site everyone knows each other unlike another site ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Bill I was not meaning any one on Funsters this is a www so anyone could look in not with the best intentions from any where so extra security for people travelling on there own is no bad thing.

Love you Bill ::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
yes i understand carol but i still think the best they can have is on here with us
and love u to :)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Bill I was not meaning any one on Funsters this is a www so anyone could look in not with the best intentions from any where so extra security for people travelling on there own is no bad thing.

Love you Bill ::bigsmile:
yes i understand carol but i still think the best they can have is on here with us
and love u to :)
Get a motorhome u two.....:rofl:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Bill, its not a site just for motorhomers; I will be promoting it for any and all types of travel and travellers.

Mahdeene

Free Member
Jun 21, 2011
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
20 years +
I for one, am looking forward to being part of this new Single Traveller Funster. I agree with Bill that it should be exclusively for single Funsters because the rest of you have already been able to join with others who have partners, husbands, children etc. We single people just want to be able to join a party of people who are in the same circumstances, to make friends, travel in a group, feel safer with other people about and not always being alone. I am 78 and have driven a motorhome since the 80's and before that (when my husband was alive) driven with a caravan on tow. I love my motorhome and travelling but would really enjoy having other people around to make friends with.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Maddened: there is a small get together for solo Funsters planned for next April in Lancashire. I appreciate it us a long way for you to travel for a weekend but wonder if you could make it part of a longer trip. Currently there are 6 of us hoping to meet up on 10th April and staying at; www Bridgehousemarina.co.uk.
Why not join us.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I for one, am looking forward to being part of this new Single Traveller Funster. I agree with Bill that it should be exclusively for single Funsters

We aren't exactly sure if this is correct, some confusion over this. Andy63 has asked Jim about this so we are just awaiting his reply for clarification.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Having checked one of Jims posts it looks like the trailmates will be for all solo travellers, not exclusive to Funsters.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Having checked one of Jims posts it looks like the trailmates will be for all solo travellers, not exclusive to Funsters.
That seems correct Carol, its for all interests and not just motorhomers but if you read the first paragraph of Jims thread abovc that's where it becomes confusing and I think how Andy asked the Question.
So couples travelling with couples

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is not a dating site and while it might turn out to be a great place to find a member to travel happily ever after with, we also want it to become a place to hook up with anyone. So couples travelling with couples. Women looking to travel with other women etc.

Hope that helps clarify a little ?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Clearly the site will attract mostly single people. But I'm anxious that is not looked upon as a dating site as the reputation they have a is dire and they attract a lot of unwanted attention from crooks and and time-waters. It is said that 60% of dating profiles are scammers preying on the unsuspecting. Every member, while not 'vetted' will be checked that they are who they say they are and are located where they say they are.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I've been on the new forum to have a look at it Jim, and thought I would register for company whether on my way to Portugal when going to meet JJ, or for short times especially with singles or couples being a bit afraid of France as a complete foreign country to them (including the language).
But of course it is not for the 3 or 4 coming months, and as the payment is monthly, and you said , if no trip planned yet , don't subscribe, I didn't. Otherwise I would have subscribed and said ... I already have a partner! If a few couples were saying so, the site would not appear as a dating one ..... May be!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
and as the payment is monthly

again I hope im not getting the wrong end of the stick but think its a min of £15..

Does it cost anything to become a member of Trailmates?
Membership is presently set at £5 a month, payable quarterly. or at £50 per year.
if ive got that wrong im sorry lol

but jims reply above does answer the question I asked about whether it was exclusively for solos which was my take on the description anyway but just a little confused lol
thanks ...ta andy

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Remember ... I am French ... Some English don't get it all at first reading ... just imagine when French :D.

I thought paying it quarterly or yearly were options! In any case, I have no plan for the 3 or 4 coming months so... it's just the same to me!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I'm with Jim on this one. If I understand Jim correctly, Trailmates is about finding people to travel with, not someone to share your life with. The only thing you might be sharing is the destination & time of travel - a couple of motorhomes travelling in convoy, for example. That is as likely to be of interest to established couples as much as to single people. It also helps a lot in avoiding the site appearing as just a slightly different slant on a dating site. Having couples on the site looking for travel partners will give the site more credibility, not less.

Remember that this new site isn't just open to Funsters. We may well find people to travel with through MHF, but other travellers might want to share a car, a train journey, or travel in a convoy of cars.

We are new(ish) to travelling in Europe & have never taken a motorhome abroad before. Neither of us speak anything beyond a few words in any language other than English. Because we are fortunate enough to be Funsters, we have the opportunity to dip our toes in the water by going to the Twin Lakes meet in France next May. We expect to learn a lot from the more experienced Funsters who are on the same meet. We are confident that we can cope with the travel down there all on our own, but nearer the time I will enquire about others doing the same trip to see if there is some prospect of travelling down together.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
but nearer the time I will enquire about others doing the same trip to see if there is some prospect of travelling down together.
But would you register and pay to do that on trailmates or just do it on fun for free?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Well, as I'm a Fun member I'll ask on here first. As it's only a short trip to the middle of France, I will be happy enough to do that without company. If I wasn't heading to the meet, but for a tour round the country, I might cast the net wider if I didn't get any takers from Funsters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back