Travel Insurance (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’re tentatively booked the tunnel for July (though may have to postpone if Scotland doesn’t allow foreign travel without quarantine).

I checked our existing annual multi trip insurance policy and it says Covid related claims will only be considered if travel was booked pre 31st March 2020. And will not be covered if the policy is renewed.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
WE have just got travel insurance with Saga multi trip was cheaper than getting a single trip.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I posted about this earlier in the week. Staysure are offering to cover basic medical emergency expenses for Covid19 if contracted while on holiday. Problem is their annual multitrip 35 day limit if policyholder is over 70 cannot be extended and you have to buy a totally separate single trip policy. The quote for this in Europe was higher than the annual policy. I phoned Nationwide Flexplus, our usual insurer, and was told on Wednesday that they are not covering Covid 19, but on Friday I was told they will cover normal medical and accommodation expenses if Covid 19 is contracted while away on holiday. I asked where I could read this but it wasn't written down! The representative checked with a supervisor. I will be phoning again next week as they have to have it in writing somewhere. By the way Campbell Irvine who provide insurance for several adventure/nature travel companies are offering full cover including cancellation in case of Covid 19 for at least one of these travel companies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As I understand, a significant number of insurers will cover medical treatment for Covid-19 whilst abroad, but not cancellations caused by it or self-isollating requirements prior to travel.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
As I understand, a significant number of insurers will cover medical treatment for Covid-19 whilst abroad, but not cancellations caused by it or self-isollating requirements prior to travel.
I heard a travel agent on the radio this morning saying the same thing.
Probably not a game changer for most motorhomes but definitely for those booking ' proper' holidays

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Can anyone recommend an Insurance Company willing to cover a couple, both 70yrs+, on an annual multi-trip, Europe only policy for maximum 60 day trips?

This year we are finding difficulty in obtaining cover for more than 56 days.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We’re tentatively booked the tunnel for July (though may have to postpone if Scotland doesn’t allow foreign travel without quarantine).

I checked our existing annual multi trip insurance policy and it says Covid related claims will only be considered if travel was booked pre 31st March 2020. And will not be covered if the policy is renewed.
The Uk Government has said no quarantine required if returning from France which is to implemented from early next month as I understand

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can anyone recommend an Insurance Company willing to cover a couple, both 70yrs+, on an annual multi-trip, Europe only policy for maximum 60 day trips?

Nationwide Flexplus, we have multitrips of 90 days worldwide and over 70 years young. You do have to bank with them, but am of the opinion that if they are looking after my money, they will look after me to the best of there ability.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

If your a member of the Camping and Caravan Club their multi trip policies cover you for 183 days per year maximum trip duration 93 days. We are both over 70 with a few minor declarative issues cost is £119 each

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
The Uk Government has said no quarantine required if returning from France which is to implemented from early next month as I understand

Yes but Scot Gov, which is where I live, have stated that they have not agreed to this yet ... whilst borders are IK govt decision public health is a devolved power.

My decision to go/postpone might not rest on legalities ... I will consider what ScotGov recommend too as they’ve gone a good job of surpressing virus here so far.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If your a member of the Camping and Caravan Club their multi trip policies cover you for 183 days per year maximum trip duration 93 days. We are both over 70 with a few minor declarative issues cost is £119 each
Yes we are members and have had cover with them before.

However, we can’t contact them at present. Their website doesn’t seem to lead to a way to get a travel insurance quote and we can’t get through on the phone. I have sent an e-mail via their “Contact us” page but no reply so far.

If you have managed to navigate their site recently I would be grateful for a steer.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The vast majority of travel insurance policies are for holidaymakers going on trips between 1-3 weeks...
I'm no fan of insurance companies and their tendency to wriggle out of paying claims if the can - but it's not realistic to expect them to cover for a known event.

If you want a specific policy to cover specifics then you'll have to go to a broker who will find an underwriter - but it won't be cheap.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Nationwide Flex Plus are not covering Covid at the moment

See my post above, I have been told by Nationwide that they are providing Covid 19 for medical and associated expenses if you get it while away, but no cover for cancellation if you get it in the UK. I do agree that the online info reads differently and they will need to verify what I have been told by a telephone assistant and a supervisor.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi Grianan, one solution to your problem move south:giggle:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
just out of interest how much cheaper , my single quote is £291.66
ours was for 2 people both over 70 and with pre existing conditions paid £398 for the 2 similar to what we paid a few years ago cant tell exact price we were quoted for a single trip but know it was more than double what we paid. only taken out the 60 day cover although longer was available as John doesn't like going away forlonger than that at a time.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
ours was for 2 people both over 70 and with pre existing conditions paid £398 for the 2 similar to what we paid a few years ago cant tell exact price we were quoted for a single trip but know it was more than double what we paid. only taken out the 60 day cover although longer was available as John doesn't like going away forlonger than that at a time.
Hi, Mine was for 3 weeks , like you both over 70 with existing conditions. SAGA

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
See my post above, I have been told by Nationwide that they are providing Covid 19 for medical and associated expenses if you get it while away, but no cover for cancellation if you get it in the UK. I do agree that the online info reads differently and they will need to verify what I have been told by a telephone assistant and a supervisor.

They don't make it easy do they.

When we were facing not being able to get out of Morocco they told us if that was the case cover would continue for as long as needed. Might the supervisor you spoke to be confusing those circumstances with something else.

Certainly the online info couldn't be clearer.
It will be good to see if you get it in writing

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I spoke to Nationwide last week, they wouldn’t cover me as the FCO day only travel under exceptional circumstances. She then said that they wouldn’t clarify what circumstances, but would decide if and when I put in a claim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back