Travel insurance (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2018
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Sprinter (Selfbuild)
Exp
Since 2006
We go to France every summer for 150 days and get our insurance from Age UK - they have changed their name to something else, Google it - this year it cost about £100 for both of us.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
As I have approached both travel and European breakdown insurance renewal plus 70th birthday I have followed this thread with interest. Since resuming motorhoming in 2015 I have had a combined policy with CAMHC Red Pennant, not the cheapest but I've always found the medical side easy to navigate. Got the renewal notice this week up a bit at £395 and my first thought is that there is room to find a lower price so off I went. Contacted breakdown providers mentioned on here and quotes from approx £70 to about £125 all very good. Next travel / medical, multi trip annual with 60 days per trip. Checked with all those mentioned on the forum plus around about 40 others via comparison sites. Cheapest (and not necessarily the best) matching my needs more than £1200. Tried to negotiate reduction by removing baggage and delay cover, got me nowhere. So unless i suuddenly stumble on something unexpected it's back to Red Pennant. I should add that all though I have fairly complex medical issues they have been kept under control for more than 10 years and should not be a major issue.

Unfortunately mine aren't so in the end i phoned the insurance ombudsman (they don't just deal with complaints) and all clear for the medical problems I have were who they recommend as the best not the cheapest, one reason is they dont want you to phone and tell them every time you sneeze and then try and charge a fortune more and admin fee:banghead:

OP
OP
Rds559
Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Am 72, LV 90 days £148 I only want for medical most of the other is covered in the van insurance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If you're convinced you both have it under control why not just the EHI card and a credit it card --- if necessary?

Either you do not understand the risks involved or you have a very cavalier attitude to them.

Either way, it’d be a foolish individual who took your advice.

If folks have existing conditions that insurers are reluctant to cover there is the option to take out a policy that doesn’t cover existing conditions. This at least provides cover for the risks that you can’t control, e.g. tripping on a kerb, being knocked over by a car, etc.

Ian

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Because that would be very silly IMV ... especially if we ever leave the EU ... a single accident can cost thousands and thousands in medical costs even if its not a major one, anything more such as needing a lengthy stay or repatriation would be eye-watering ..

Of course it's how you conduct your own personal risk assessment. If you always assumed the worst possible consequences is going to happen to you then would be daft not to buy it.
I've been traveling through Europe since I was 20 years old. That's 50 years now without ever having or needing health insurance.
I'm still quite happy to take my chances because I think even if it's a serious event, I have £10,000 on my credit cards for any emergency.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Unfortunately mine aren't so in the end i phoned the insurance ombudsman (they don't just deal with complaints) and all clear for the medical problems I have were who they recommend as the best not the cheapest, one reason is they dont want you to phone and tell them every time you sneeze and then try and charge a fortune more and admin fee:banghead:
My apologies but not sure of the point your making.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not seen it mentioned, so just a heads up, don't know how long or any details, but if you have house insurance with nfu mutual you can get holiday insurance at a very good price, we have it for the two of us , both with medical bits, for about £40 extra on the house premium.
Not pushing it as never had to claim but it's there.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
My apologies but not sure of the point your making.

Stay sure is expensive and one of those companies who has in terms and conditions that you must inform them if your drugs are changed or your illness changes when you do they try to charge anything up to £50 .00 plus an admin charge between 15 to 25 quid or in staysures case because of small stroke instead of waiting for consultants outcome they immediately cancelled the policy (year long multi trip with cruise cover ) I then informed them they couldn't cancel as I would have to claim for a cruise cancellation because T&C of cruise was we must have full medical cover and as they were canceling it I had to cancel the cruise. Ombudsman and three months later final had a payment for the cancellation they caused. The point is in any companies small print they might look cheaper to start with but miss any of those T&C your wasting your money and if you do have to change med or anything expect big charges

Just as a postscript they tried to tell me I hadn't told them everything unfortunately for them i have access to my full medical records which I had emailed to them and had the reply telling me they had received them. I keep my med records so I can show Dr abroad what ive had and what heart rhythm is normal for me etc etc(y)

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
To romany thanks for that. Agree with what you say and would certainly never chase for the cheapest and always read small print. As it happens Red Pennant are coming up as best price, last year i had to inform them of a new potential problem they wrote to say that it would not be covered until all clear given, when i got clearance sent copy and they confirmed cover as before, no charge.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
To romany thanks for that. Agree with what you say and would certainly never chase for the cheapest and always read small print. As it happens Red Pennant are coming up as best price, last year i had to inform them of a new potential problem they wrote to say that it would not be covered until all clear given, when i got clearance sent copy and they confirmed cover as before, no charge.
Thats Good probably take a look at them next year (y)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
all I can say is stay well away from staysure after a 3 month fight finally got a payout from them. we are now with all clear well over 390 pounds multi trip maximum 90 days I have multiple fitness problems coronary, diabetes, and stroke.
Have used them for years and until this trip to Oz never had to claim . But this time had to claim for broken knee and flu on a cruise . Paid up no problem

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Update have found a better quote without unnecessary add ons with : Avanti at £338 for five months. Including medical and ages.??
Just done a quote with them for us and noticed that there is a restriction of the maximum number of days per trip of 50 days (or 35 if over 70) and over the insurance year a maximum of 183 days combined (see below) so are you SURE you have 150 days continuous cover?

50 consecutive days for all persons aged 70 and under.​
35 consecutive days for all persons over 70.​
Total combined trips must not exceed 183 days​

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just done a quote with them for us and noticed that there is a restriction of the maximum number of days per trip of 50 days (or 35 if over 70) and over the insurance year a maximum of 183 days combined (see below) so are you SURE you have 150 days continuous cover?

50 consecutive days for all persons aged 70 and under.​
35 consecutive days for all persons over 70.​
Total combined trips must not exceed 183 days​
Hi Minxy yes we took out a single trip long stay cover, as the annual cover as you say only does max 50 days.
Long stay policies – Cover applies for the duration of your trip as stated on your Validation Certificate provided it does not exceed a maximum of;
Age 0-65 Region 1&2 550 days
Age 66-70 - 71-75 Region 1&2 366 days
Region 3 Region 4 276 days

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We used multitrip.com. We can have as many trips as we like upto 60 days each trip. I wish ?.
However, this year’s premium of £52 has covered a fortnight motorhoming in France, a fortnight motorhoming in Germany, a week for Sam and I in school exchange in Germany, he’ll probably spend another 2-4 weeks in Germany next May/June plus most of next year’s holidays. Pretty good value.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We used multitrip.com. We can have as many trips as we like upto 60 days each trip. I wish ?.
However, this year’s premium of £52 has covered a fortnight motorhoming in France, a fortnight motorhoming in Germany, a week for Sam and I in school exchange in Germany, he’ll probably spend another 2-4 weeks in Germany next May/June plus most of next year’s holidays. Pretty good value.

Do you have any medical issues or is it like Eurotunnel multi trip where it doesn't matter as long as you're fit to travel? That is even cheaper than our Eurotunnel insurance.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hi Minxy yes we took out a single trip long stay cover, as the annual cover as you say only does max 50 days.
Long stay policies – Cover applies for the duration of your trip as stated on your Validation Certificate provided it does not exceed a maximum of;
Age 0-65 Region 1&2 550 days
Age 66-70 - 71-75 Region 1&2 366 days
Region 3 Region 4 276 days
I took out a long stay with CMC and because I was not in the uk prior to renewal for 6 months they would not renew! Nor would CCC my only alternative was a back packers insurance .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I took out a long stay with CMC and because I was not in the uk prior to renewal for 6 months they would not renew! Nor would CCC my only alternative was a back packers insurance .
Unfortunately most pack packers deals don’t cover us as we are to old ???

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks. Tried them as well still to old??
Gone with Avanti as they gave best quote?

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We are members of the CCC, they do a Europe multi trip policy, 193 days per year maximum single trip length 93 days. We are both the wrong side of 70 with a couple of minor health issues, £115 each for 12 months well pleased.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
We have Puffin Platinum , being over 70 they will only cover on the Platinum. There are cheaper policies for under 70s. The cover is very good. Which Best Buy I believe.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Have you had a look at Caxton card travel insurance.
If you and partner both hold cards on same account you can get their travel insurance for £99.
This is annual global insurance, 90 days per trip multi trip. 5 star rated insurance.
Ive just taken it out for a 75+ day winter trip in the van to Spain and we are also going to Florida next August for a family holiday.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you had a look at Caxton card travel insurance.
If you and partner both hold cards on same account you can get their travel insurance for £99.
This is annual global insurance, 90 days per trip multi trip. 5 star rated insurance.
Ive just taken it out for a 75+ day winter trip in the van to Spain and we are also going to Florida next August for a family holiday.
I hope you don't have any existing medical conditions as they are NOT covered ...

1574107192090.png

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
No fortunately we don't. I was aware that it doesn't cover any pre-existing medical conditions. I thought that it was going to cost £99 as advertised but got it for £59 for the two of us as we are premium members.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No fortunately we don't. I was aware that it doesn't cover any pre-existing medical conditions. I thought that it was going to cost £99 as advertised but got it for £59 for the two of us as we are premium members.
Do you mean Premier or Plus?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It never occurs to me to take out any sort of insurance ? Even my wife was amazed that I never had any when she asked ? Not as amazed as me that she thought I would even think of it. :laughing:
She has a yearly policy due to travelling back & forward to UK for work & it also does for when she goes to Aussie.
Anyway if memory serves me correctly there is a fair bit of medical cover , including repatraition, with ADAC as after the unfortuante breakdown in France I passed the time reading what cover I have.
Add to that Full UK healthcare ,Full Spanish healthcare ( Not as a result of being a UK registered oap either)So hopefully if I need anything more than what I have they can pull the plug.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back