Travel Insurance (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Who has one worth the paper its written on? I was going to go with Barlcays, but they only cover trips for pre-booked accommodation. No good for us! I'm going to need European breakdown as well, so bonus points if that's included.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Have a look at nationwide flex account, lots of info on here if you search....

It costs to have the account, £13 a month but if you have money in it, it pays interest... but for that £13 you get euro breakdown for any vehicle your in and travel ins and other benefits....

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Lots on here will tell me I'm wrong but I use and would recommend Red Pennant at the Caravan and Motorhome Club. Worth a call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Call the bank first and organise a loan.
Sure your correct in some cases but for me with pre existing conditions they were the cheapest sensible policy. Nationwide originally refused cover although I believe they will now give it but the additional costs were out of this world. Like all insurance my good experience is another's bad. You have to shop around.

Upvote 0

Pipeydick

Free Member
Jun 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Overcab coachbuilt
Exp
20yrs
We have also use red pennant, not always the cheapest, but when I was hospitalised in benidorm with severe campylabactor food poisoning for three days they sorted & paid everything, private hospital, wife's hotel, new flights home, taxis etc, none of this pay now claim back later you get with cheap insurance

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Depends a lot on your attitude to risk one things for sure all insurance companies will take in a lot more in premiums than they pay out in claims if you want all bells and whistles new for old cover etc it will cost. We usually go for basic and accept if we need to claim there will probably be some cost to us we have the Nationwide account with insurance included it also includes breakdown cover and theres a linked savings account which if you keep in the right amount the interest covers some of the cost (theres little enough interest elsewhere).

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Stay away from nationwide unless you are prepared to read every line of the small print.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Stay away from nationwide unless you are prepared to read every line of the small print.
As I said depends what you would buy instead . In our case it would be cheap multi trip from a comparison site probably with someone who we had never heard of and accept some of the risk ourselves Nationwide could well be better! . We have visited Cuba and the US as well as our mh trips and 5 ski-ing ones so probably saved a fair bit already. We have been lucky been away a lot and never had to claim for anything same on the house insurance always go basic and accept some risk and a big excess on car policies. My mother in law is the opposite new for old cover low excess on car insurance etc etc nothing wrong if thats what you want . I said before if you are an average punter they must collect a lot more in premiums than they pay out as they have to run their business and make a profit so in my view better to accept some risk yourself. When you think about it all they really are is bookmakers betting on there being a claim or not!

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I accept that nationwide are a business and desperately need their profits but should you have the misfortune to need to make a claim then beware.
Their claims processing is abysmal and minor unrelated health issues will be used against you making a successful claim. And the insurance ombudsman backs them up because its in the small print.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I accept that nationwide are a business and desperately need their profits but should you have the misfortune to need to make a claim then beware.
Their claims processing is abysmal and minor unrelated health issues will be used against you making a successful claim. And the insurance ombudsman backs them up because its in the small print.

Please give us more details of your experience in making a claim with them, it may help lots of us on here...

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
70yrs old. Fit as a flea (just walked 700+k in 29 days) but take statins, and bp tabs because our Doc insists on it Same for Swmbo.
Our annual travel ins with Nationwide comes in at £355. That includes a £65 fee cos I'm over three score and ten and we have 90 days cover per trip. When added to the other cover I think that's OK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We are with nationwide, paid extra for winter sports for me only, no extra for wife's blood pressure and cholesterol tabs. Only 30 days though.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use Eurotunnel multi trip. Costs us less than £90 for both of us. Only covers Europe and for 30 days only. Don't need to declare any medical conditions, the only criteria is that your doctor would confirm that you were fit to travel at the time of travel.

Denise

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Check any travel insurance policy carefully for limitations. Many (most?) don't advertise these clearly and you have to call them to get a definitive answer.

I've seen companies recommended here but on investigation they limit trips in some cases to as short as 30 days. I suspect those recommending them were almost certainly unaware of this as it was only clarified by a phone call.

Beware sharks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Thirty days would be fine, it’s the no fixed destination, Prebooked accommodation only that’s been my issue so far. I have no intention of prebooking anything! Mostly I just want something to get us to a garage and put us up for a few nights if we break down, and get us home if someone smashes up the MH or we get ill/injured (or the repair bill is too monstrous) I’ve already got fully comp insurance plus contents cover, and relatives to impose on should it be unavoidable (which is also excluded from Barclays cover!)

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Having cheapish cover with a known high st name (nationwide) gives an improved feelgood factor. It did for me.
As long as u dont have to make a claim all will be good.
Beware nationwide travel insurance - make sure u read every bit of the policy small print.

Upvote 0

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
I was talking to a guy last year while at Lake Annecy about travel and breakdown insurance. His MH needed to be recovered to a Fiat garage for some major surgery, it was only at that point he found out that his 7m MH wasn’t covered for recovery. His Policy only covered up to a 6m long vehicle.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have mine through natwest platinum account, costs me £75per year being over 70 but the account costs £18per month which includes UK breakdown but not European, so I have RAC European breakdown cover £185.for 90days. ..

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Having cheapish cover with a known high st name (nationwide) gives an improved feelgood factor. It did for me.
Beware nationwide travel insurance - make sure u read every bit of the policy small print.

I take on board what you say but;
What you don't say?

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Please give us more details of your experience in making a claim with them, it may help lots of us on here...

So have you made a claim or not..?

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Just smiffy if u search my previous posts u will find it.
sorry but it makes my blood boil whenever i think about it so i am not going to write it out again.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back