Travel insurance for over 70 and pre existing medical conditions (1 Viewer)

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Any recommendations? Preferably 90 day cover
Thanks

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Try Staysure ,I used them and they were among the cheaper quotes I had and possibly the best cover.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have used Staysure for several years for cover including for Australia and this year was the first time we have had to claim . Contacted them immediately for advice and had confirmation by e mail of how to proceed. On return sent all the bills with claim form and within two weeks contacted by them to confirm payment .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
They've given a decent quote but only 35 days cover for over 70

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
They've given a decent quote but only 35 days cover for over 70
That's one of the issues for us as we are normally abroad for more than 90 days in total, but have occasionally gone over by a few days as a calculated risk.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The Caravan Club one is easy to do online if you have had no issues for the previous 3 months, it’s not cheap though.
The Camping Club charge a standard price of £104 per person to cover 180 days, you then have to call the medical line which for some reason is based In Capetown to get quotes for pre existing conditions. Last year mine was £9 and my wife’s was nearly £800 so guess who was not covered.
It’s worth noting that if it’s cover within the EU then most if not all companies including Staysure say in the small print that you should use your EHIC for medical treatment. As the person from Staysure told me it’s travel insurance not medical insurance that you are buying.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The Caravan Club one is easy to do online if you have had no issues for the previous 3 months, it’s not cheap though.
The Camping Club charge a standard price of £104 per person to cover 180 days, you then have to call the medical line which for some reason is based In Capetown to get quotes for pre existing conditions. Last year mine was £9 and my wife’s was nearly £800 so guess who was not covered.
It’s worth noting that if it’s cover within the EU then most if not all companies including Staysure say in the small print that you should use your EHIC for medical treatment. As the person from Staysure told me it’s travel insurance not medical insurance that you are buying.
That is strange to say that as policy covers medical treatment when travelling . As not in Europe but Oz no possibility to use EHIC card or register for Medicare in Oz as not U.K. resident all costs were covered .

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
That is strange to say that as policy covers medical treatment when travelling . As not in Europe but Oz no possibility to use EHIC card or register for Medicare in Oz as not U.K. resident all costs were covered .
If you bought a policy for outside of the E U then it will include medical, but within the EU it’s in the small print.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If only we knew how much longer the EHIC card will be valid. :rolleyes:

RioRob

Free Member
Dec 30, 2017
North Devon
Funster No
You could try "Travelinsurance4medical.co.uk"
They've covered me for 1 year with pre-existing but I'm under 70 (just).

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Try using a search engine such as Moneysupermarket.

Broken Link Removed

Just fill in all the details they ask for, declare the medical history, and let them search for you. Remember to tick the "no contact" box and they will show you the best quotes and then send you an e-mail with them on.

We ended up with Debenhams Finance winter before last. 5 months worked out at just under £2 per day for the two of us with two 'minor' health declarations

Last winter we used the same method & ended up with Staysure. Cost us £260 for 155 days at 71 & 68 years with a couple of minor existing medical conditions.
We fell lucky when we got ours last year as, at the bottom of the online application there was a " discount code " box so I quickly googled 'Staysure discount code' and got a valid code for 15% off.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
One advantage of living in the Schengen Area is that there are no checks when one crosses borders, so no dates recorded.

Geoff
But they can check when you left uk and when you got back. as we know, but not to our cost, broker had boobed, and had to pay up.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We were away for 4 months in Oz, Cambodia, Singapore , Vietnam and a cruise with no problem . Age 70

By ‘no problem’ do you mean:

- you had no difficulty in getting cover for a 4 month trip, or

- you had no medical issues in 4 months?

If the former, who were you insured with?

If the latter, what insurance cover did you have?

Ian

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
By ‘no problem’ do you mean:

- you had no difficulty in getting cover for a 4 month trip, or

- you had no medical issues in 4 months?

If the former, who were you insured with?

If the latter, what insurance cover did you have?

Ian
Ah sorry was just continuing with original post and my reply .
We were insured with Staysure for the four months covering the counties I mentioned .

My husband fell and fractured his kneecap and all covered minus the excess of 75€

We had their non resident travel policy

Hope that makes it a bit clearer

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
For the last 3-4 years we have insured through Camping & Caravan Club.
We have a 12 month multi-trip personal cover (no vehicle cover) and last time paid £204 plus £19.40 for existing conditions. That is for the two of us, which I think is not too bad.
We are both mid 70's and although, probably like most in our age range, there are some existing medical conditions there is nothing serious to frighten them.

Richard.

OP
OP
Jandek

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp

We have been with c and cc last few years and been happy . Went to renew today. Last year cost me £9.60 for minor medical conditions. This year circumstances are exactly the same but they have changed questions so I am now considered more of a risk. Wanted £137 for medical cover

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
One advantage of living in the Schengen Area is that there are no checks when one crosses borders, so no dates recorded.

Geoff
No, perhaps not, but the insurance company will ask to see your outward and return journey details which will tell them how long you have been away.

Our insurance is only valid if outward and return journeys are pre-booked. Others will probably be similar.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Just renewed Nationwide Flex+ travel insurance. £305 for 2 persons with minor medical conditions.

Premium also includes age extension (70+) and trip extension (31 to 90 days). It's getting a tad expensive so might go back to CCC next year.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I have my car insured with Saga. I have their European Breakdown cover as well. You are covered for 364 days of any length stay. Taken with road insurance it was cheaper than any others. No need to have return journey booked either.

They do motorhomes as well as cars. Worth investigating if you are over 50.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back