Trauma vs Alde (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
That's the way I am thinking, with the van I am looking at in standard trim I have 550kgs to play with and want to carry a small 125 motorbike in the garage.
So as you say the Truma system is perfectly OK.
Cost I could stretch to but want to do everything to keep the weight down, so think I will go with the Truma system.
If it keeps me warm then its doing its job, and hope I spend more time in warmer countries.
The only think I was thinking is if its too noisy or dry maybe add an oil filled radiator of 1000w when on hook up.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
With a 550Kg payload, is the extra (10-20Kg?) of the Alde really that significant?

Ian

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Brochure gives it 28kg and a price of £1800 BOTH on there own not too much, but if the Truma does what it's meant to, heat the van and water then it's a saving in both money and weight that I could save or use elsewhere.
550kg will soon get eaten into with 2 people 140kg and a bike of 100kg.
Not to mention solar panels, sat tv, awning and other added goodies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I'd be a bit anxious about the payload given that dealers don't tell you the revised payload after they have fitted the extras and it's fuelled up with fresh water in the tank. It's worth asking other Funsters about their weight experience with the van you intend to buy.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looking to spec my future van.
Reading up I can see the advantages of an Aldi system but as a motorhome is a compromise I think I will end up getting a truma system.
The main reasons are cost and weight.
We will hopefully mainly travelling to Europe but will do some tours that require heating.
A few questions.
Can the truma system blow out air, not heated air, in warm countries to cool the van down?
Is the truma system adequate for keeping the MH warm overnight, or does it dry the air too much for sleeping?
We hired a MH but the weather was too warm to use the heating.
Any other advantages/disadvantages that we have not thought of which would sway our decision.
Please comment on my thoughts.
To answer your question
Our Truma had a vent setting, which is for circulated ambient temperature air. The air is taken from inside the van.

We never found our Truma to be too drying, but we never left it on overnight as our van was well insulated

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Had Alde in our last two, would not have anything else, suffer with my chest, so a no brainer for us(y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
With a 550Kg payload, is the extra (10-20Kg?) of the Alde really that significant?

Ian
It's more than the difference of the dry weight. The weight of the circulating water and any radiators must be factored in, also.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It's more than the difference of the dry weight. The weight of the circulating water and any radiators must be factored in, also.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

Our system has a single radiator in the bathroom, the rest of the heating is via thin foil fins along different sections of the pipe work.

I don't know what the specified weight is but a rough guess would be:

15 litres (Kg) of coolant
3 Kg for one radiator
5Kg for pipework/fins

So, roughly 25KG - not a defining basis for a yes/no decision when a 550Kg payload is defined.

Ian

Edit: Just seen post #33! My estimate was PD close!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Brochure gives it 28kg and a price of £1800 BOTH on there own not too much, but if the Truma does what it's meant to, heat the van and water then it's a saving in both money and weight that I could save or use elsewhere.
550kg will soon get eaten into with 2 people 140kg and a bike of 100kg.
Not to mention solar panels, sat tv, awning and other added goodies.

I understood that stated payloads already included a driver so unless you're carrying three people, you've gained (not used) 70Kg of your available total.

Sounds like you're favouring the blown air.

Ian

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Thought that the payload included driver but in the small print it doesn't so out of the 550kgs you have to take off the weight of 2 pax. Good reason to lose weight.
Think I will go with the truma as it's a saving on price and weight over the Alde.
But when making that final decision will retook at this again to see if I can fit it in the budget and weight allowance as can see it is a better system.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know that it's been mentioned yet but if you do go for the Alde make sure you get the heat exchanger as well as its great for driving in the winter with the radiators heated from the engine keeping the whole van warm and then you can have fresh air through the front vents, you get to your destination and you even have hot water.

Martin

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
What about weight? Is the Alde system much heavier?
Edit. Sorry missed a load of posts, naughty step for me :unsure:

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
The MH I am looking at has truma with crash sensors so assume it can be left running when driving.
Adds from last years price list 28 kg and costs £1660, the engine heat exchanger is 6 kg and £825.
Even more for a pump to warm the engine from the alde.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What about weight? Is the Alde system much heavier?
Edit. Sorry missed a load of posts, naughty step for me :unsure:
This is from Alde's FAQ

How much does an Alde system weigh compared to a forced (blown) air system?

Varies. Bear in mind that even when the heating circuit is full, an Alde system provides both central heating andhot water, rather than having two separate systems. When full, an Alde system will weigh on average 3–7 kg more than a separate heating and hot water system, the equivalent of up to 3 bags of sugar.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The MH I am looking at has truma with crash sensors so assume it can be left running when driving.
Adds from last years price list 28 kg and costs £1660, the engine heat exchanger is 6 kg and £825.
The heat exchanger weighs 1.3kg according to Alde, the boiler weight is 14kg without fluids, typical finned convectors weigh 0.6kg/m the pump for warming the engine will weight next to nothing as its just a little plastic job.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think there is so much difference in the performance of the systems these days if the manufcature has installed them correctly and paid attention to detail. That is a big if.
We were going to go for the Alde but our dealer talked us out of it, and I think sticking with the Truma for us was the right decision.
Over the last few years Hymer have done a lot of work regarding heat distribution in their vans. Ther bedroom is no longer freezing like is was on our first 2008 Hymer (I modified it & sorted it like you do). With heating outlets along the base of the large cab side windows and heating outlets along the front of the screen between the blind and screen no need for siliver svreens unless you go sking. The twin beds have a heating duct along the full length at the side and in the DL has an air flow control.
With the CP Plus controller fitted to modern vans the fan speed is controlled much better and once up to temp you wouldn't know the system was on apart from hearing the boiler fire up occassionaly.
Only real criticism is you can only use the hot water on 60 and it's too hot, on 40/ECO the hysteresis is too wide after it gets to 40 won't turn back on until water temp is below 27.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
This is from Alde's FAQ

How much does an Alde system weigh compared to a forced (blown) air system?

Varies. Bear in mind that even when the heating circuit is full, an Alde system provides both central heating andhot water, rather than having two separate systems. When full, an Alde system will weigh on average 3–7 kg more than a separate heating and hot water system, the equivalent of up to 3 bags of sugar.

The weights are from Pilotes brochure so weight difference will be on actual installation not just individual components

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Truma crash sensors are separate to the heating system and operate independently of it. They are on the regulator and hoses in the gas bottle compartment. My Hymer has them and an Alde heating system which csn be left on while driving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back