Trauma heater not working on 6KG propane (1 Viewer)

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all,

Off the top of my head I'm not sure which model Trauma it is, but it's in a mid-nineties Hymer and is gas only.

Basically, a 6KG propane bottle will happily operate the hob, oven, grill and fridge, but the heater won't fire up (even if it's the only thing we're trying to light). Switch to a larger propane bottle, or a slightly bigger butane bottle, and it works fine. Tested on two different 6KG bottles.

Anyone any ideas?

My only thoughts at the moment are that it's the regulator (mounted to the bulkhead in the gas locker). But that appears to be a relatively recent addition (also a Trauma).

Thanks all.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Sounds like there is not enough 'gassing' going on in the 6kg bottles to supply the needs of the heater which is way more than the hob.

Unless there is a blockage in the heater supply.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have had and now have a traumatic heater, boiler
Worked perfectly well on 6kg
bottles.
Same pressure dilivered via whatever regulator, from whatever bottle. As far as I'm aware.
Just capacities that are different.
But I sit to be corrected. šŸ˜Š

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Our heater decided not to work on a 13kg bottle when it was about 80% used. Still 20% of the gas in the bottle.

New 13kg bottle and it fired straight up. They are gas-hungry animals.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The cylinder has a rated draw off rate, but if it is exceeded the cylinder will cope for a while but is likely to frost, this is why you can see the cylinders on tarmac trucks with frost on them.
I would suspect the hose going to the regular from the cylinder, a larger cylinder would have a different angle and if the hose has internal damage it may be changed at a different angle

OP
OP
NorthernSands

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all.

Both 6KG bottles I used were 'new' refills. The bottle to regulator pipe is new (metal braid), though I think I have another I can try (rubber). No kinks in the line (unless it was internal) and I tried to keep the pipe run as loose as possible (i.e. no tight bends). The larger propane bottle (13KG?) won't fit in the locker so was sat outside.

I'll try the other pipe, but as I said, the hob, oven, grill and fridge all worked flawlessly, even when most were on at the same time. Weird. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
NorthernSands

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Ay, thanks.

Well, moving into Summer so the two butane bottles should be fine. Hope to have it fixed before the colder weather pays another visit.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Things that can reduce gassing off rates: Smaller bottles, emptier bottles, low temperatures, any insulation at all. If you put tea cosies on them or put them in tightly fitting lockers with no ventilation, they won't be able to gas at the high rates required by a boiler. The important thing is to keep bottles warm to gas off. Larger bottles have more surface area to heat them up, which is good. Fuller bottles have the liquid covering a greater proportion to encourage heat transfer (as liquid has higher heat capacity than the gas above it). Any ventilation helps put airflow across to add heat. However, insulation hurts. People think that if they're cold a coat will warm them up and erroneously apply this thinking to gas bottles. The opposite is true. If a bottle is gassing off rapidly, any insulation or enclosed spaces keeps them cool and stops them working. A propane bottle can hit -40C when working hard. Anything warmer than this is helping it work, not stopping it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back