Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We have found that our heater doesn't seem to work as well heating the van if we use it just on 240volt. Although it seems to warm up the output from the fan isn't that good :Sad: is this normal or should the fan operate the same as on gas?
Another problem we have had is the inlet pipe freezing even with the heater on. On the boiler water inlet pipe before the dump valve there is a join in the pipe with what looks like a non return fitting, this must also reduce the diameter of the pipe. Where this joint is there is a drop out hole with wires going through to the outside. When the heater is on the gas you can feel cold air being drawn into the van over the pipe. On one occasion at least it caused the pipe to freeze up, the first we knew was no hot water coming out & we couldn't hear the pump. It took a long while to find out where it was frozen as it is difficult to access & defrost. I have put a temperature sensor on the pipe to monitor it & as a temporary measure I have managed to re-direct some of the heat towards the pipe. We have been having temperatures down to -8C here in France & probably lower. We were going to go through Andorra but we aren't sure we should chance it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Ed

I suspect the 240v heater has a far lower output than the gas so it won't feel as warm.. afaik the fan speed is the same whether on gas or mains

re the freezing problem, the hole you mention, is that only for wires to go through ? .. if so then I would block it up to stop the cold air being drawn in ..

Can't advise on Andora.. it's your call ..

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
The 240 volt is lower, there are 2 settings 900 & 1800 watt & I think the gas is about 6000. I still would have thought that the fan would come on at a higher spee when it gets hot. The output from the vents on the electric is very hot but a pitiful air flow. If anybody has the same heater maybe they can tell me if that's how it is.
The hole does have wires going through but I thought it might also be for a gas drop out hole but I don't know if one is required by the boiler. In the pic you can just about see the jubilee clip on the joint. I did consider blocking it off with some plasticine as I can't see any other way to block it but don't want to do it if the hole is needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Truma heating only on electric, from personal experience, is nowhere NEAR as warm as the gas heating - in our Autosleeper Ravenna it was feeble!!! Even our Adria Visions Truma blown-air heating is not as good on electric as it is on gas - we tend to use the additional Webasto diesel heating quite a bit in cold weather if not using the gas heating.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Yes it does look like the gas drop out hole, best not to block up ..

Maybe you could lag the water pipe .. ?

Jim

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
If the heater is like mine the electric is adequate only in normal conditions, once the temperature drops a degree or two below zero get it on gas as well. The difference is remarkable. I have sat very comfortably in shirt sleeves while it was -5 outside with a gale blowing in the North of Scotland.

The fan speed is varied electronically so once the set temperature is met the heater maintains it by varying output using the fan speed.

Rgds
Bill:thumb:

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Ed

I agree with WillH. The Truma on electric only is, according to the manual, only intended to be used for cooler summer evenings or as a boost to the gas heating to warm the 'van quickly.

The fan speed is electronically controlled and, if it were to run quickly, would in effect cool the slightly heated air from the electric heater element.

As to the freezing pipe, may I suggest you wrap it in pipe wrap insulation, the type which looks like bubble wrap with an aluminium foil backing would be the most suitable. It comes in a roll of 2" wide.

Keep warm both of you.

Cheers

Bernie

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Hi Bernie, tried to put a bit of pipe insulation around the pipe but there is very little room to get at it. Good idea using some of the foil type bubble wrap as I might be able to get a couple of layers around it. I think our best solution is just to keep heading into Spain & find some warmer weather then we will be more worried about the air conditioning not keeping us cool enough. :ROFLMAO:

Reluctantly having to leave Toulouse today as we have arranged to meet up with some family down in Spain, anyone passing here can be sure of a really warm & friendly welcome from Frankie & Didier.

J

jacquigem

Deleted User
Truma heater

The heater does not throw out as much heat when on 240v. We left ours on constantly over new year whilst in Scotland. On a low setting when we went to bed and while we were out and did not have any problems with pipes freezing. We do find however that when operating off the batteries and gas it drains the batteries pretty quickly.
regards Jacqui

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Electric as stated by an earlier post is only 1300w max or 900w on the low setting. This appears to be total rating including water heating. There is a control position for electric+gas where the gas will be used in addition if the electric heating can't cope. If there is 16A mains (only in UK unfortunately as a rule) then a supplementary free standing electric heater does the trick.:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back