LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We are changing vans, we now need a 4 berth. We want a European double floor with garage.

Ideally we like the layout of two longitude rear beds with the option of making into a double and an over cab bed. However, that makes for a long van mostly over 8 metres which we don't want. We want 7.5 or below. (Access to our drive issues).

So my question is....are transverse a real pain in the arse?

Do you use your over cab bed or your transverse if you have both?

I'm thinking trips to the loo in the middle of the night. Etc.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We are changing vans, we now need a 4 berth. We want a European double floor with garage.

Ideally we like the layout of two longitude rear beds with the option of making into a double and an over cab bed. However, that makes for a long van mostly over 8 metres which we don't want. We want 7.5 or below. (Access to our drive issues).

Usual A class overcab bed for us - I just get kicked when Dawn climbs over me but not really a problem. No, not too drunk to wake up either ;)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Always use the over cab, it's v comfy,always made up,has good ventilation,and even at our great age the access is OK even for overnight,loo visits.:D:smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We both have the trip to the loo problem (2 each per night!!!). We have 2 singles (as you call it longitudinal) and find that works well for us. But ours is only a three berth and does not have an over cab bed. We are both light sleepers and would wake up if somebody tried climbing over us.

If you want double floors they are usually only found on A class vehicles. Ours is a C class and is 7.23m long. I think the equivalent A classes are a bit longer.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Prob dont want to hear this. We have the twin singles you put first.
Would always go for these!
Good nights rest, and more space each than sharing a double.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Over cab bed is a nightmare. Struggling down the ladder to visit the loo.
Fixed bed is the only way to go

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our Flair was two singles plus the front drop down when we bought it, slept one night in the singles and then converted it to a King size double much better, well suits us anyway.
Should add never used the drop down front bed.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ours is 7.5 long double floor tag axle huge transverse over a big garage. In fact the bed is exactly the same size as our 38ft RV had. Double over the cab never slept in it but everyone else who has says it's very comfortable.
We were worried about a transverse bed thought we wouldn't like it but we love it it's so big and comfy. Getting in and out is no problem once you've mastered it. Don't be put off we definitely don't think the extra length needed for longitudinal beds is worth it. Transverse gives us big bed big lounge and 650 cc motorbike in the garage at just 25ft
Perfick :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ours has a king size over cab bed , that we use. Plenty room.
An l shape settee that will make into a double, or you can use it as a single unmade.
Two fixed bunks and a child's size single. It's got a great layout . 4 x 3 point seat belts, one rear lap strap.
Plenty lounging about space. Swivel front seats, yada yada yada
Great kitchen. Separate shower cubicle. Just 7.2 metres long.

But we are doing our own conversion. Downsizing .
Once the van finally gets made and delivered. So she will be up for sale after the new year or spring sometime. Maybe later now , depends, as we still want our offs whilst it's being converted.
If anyone's interested? :blush::laughing:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The problem as I see it with an over cab bed is that you can't sit up in bed and have a cup of tea in the morning. Wheras with a transverse or Island bed you can - small but crucial difference

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Large Overcabs are fine to sleep in but not much good for anything else! Fuel consumption, height, handling affected, access...no tea in bed?!?!

Transverse makes best use of space. Try and find a low roof that lounge converts to a double. Will it be 4 people all the time...

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

Tried both in ours, but much prefer the over-cab, despite the ladder........Really cosy up there, and if it gets very warm, left arm out of the duvet, and flip the top hatch........(y)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Love our overcab, I'm 5' 4" and can sit up at the outer edge. Every morning in the motorhome I sit up crosslegged facing out and OH hands me breakfast and coffee while I'm a tad hunched over the galaxy tablet on MFun. To get down facing out, left foot on a rung and I just sort of drop onto dining area, I never have to get up during the night but if and when I do, things might change.:)(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Adria compact: 2 singles over small garage + I think? the front lounge makes a double - 6.6 metres length

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Love our overcab, I'm 5' 4" and can sit up at the outer edge. Every morning in the motorhome I sit up crosslegged facing out and OH hands me breakfast and coffee while I'm a tad hunched over the galaxy tablet on MFun. To get down facing out, left foot on a rung and I just sort of drop onto dining area, I never have to get up during the night but if and when I do, things might change.:)(y)
Don't you just LOVE energetic young athletic ladies???? :Eeek:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, We've had all 3 types of bed over cab , drop down bed (A class), & transverse. Used all 3 with no problem, personally prefer the transverse bed albeit a bit narrow only 4ft on our model (Bessacarr 484) as we now have a reasonably sized garage (not large but OK)
Terry FIDGET

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Rapido 7065ff coach built. 2 single beds, bathroom full length of back, drop down bed in cab, double floor with alde wet heating and under floor heating 7.79 metres

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is why Mrs Deluxe and my sister in law don't play games on the Wii anymore...... They laugh so much that they might......
One of the unknown wonders of the world, Young Dux.........Never explained by science. It must have once had some practical value........:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back