Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
thanks
Our bed is slightly higher you can buy or make steps that would fit need picture of you bed access these steps un screw to access boiler/heater that you can access from cupboard.
if your wood is same colour as ours can find part number for you

JimboT, your layout is exactly the same as my low profile steps and all ( which I'm surprised as I thought your model would have been wider) however even though the steps in my opinion are a poor design they sort of work....... its the bed that's too high, changing the steps will not alter the fact that the bed height for us is too high!.... if its possible we would be very interested to know what the measurement of the underside of the wall locker is to the mattress top as your lockers appear to be not as tall as ours which if true this could be part of the problem:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, so now I see the EXACT problem ... it is to do with actual bed height from the top of the mattress to under the locker ... :rolleyes: .... that puts a different twist on it!

Thanks Minx I must say I'm impressed with your tenacity, however even though you have pulled up the right Dethleffs model ( my profile)? the top step in my 2007 van is much further away from the mattress top..also when I tell you that my wife can easily hit her head on the underside of the bedroom wall lockers when laying down you might get to see where I'm coming from.

However you saying ...

Due to the height of our transverse bed from the floor ...

... made us think it was just access from the floor that was the issue ... if we'd known from the start it was to do with the 'head banging' too it would have helped to offer a more viable solution - at least you appear to have got an answer now to your specific problem. (y)

If you don't go down the Froli route or don't replace the slats with something which gives 'springing', my concern is that if you remove the sprung base and the existing mattress and replace it with just some breather membrane and mattress, you may find it too hard and/or bottom out - why not try as a first measure just removing the slats and putting the existing mattress on the base to see if the 'bottoming out' is an issue? :)

Alternatively get the wife a cycle helmet to wear in bed! :LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ah, so now I see the EXACT problem ... it is to do with actual bed height from the top of the mattress to under the locker ... :rolleyes: .... that puts a different twist on it!

exactly what I was thinking, would have saved a lot of head scratching..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
exactly what I was thinking, would have saved a lot of head scratching..
Theirs no head scratching required Jim you just need to stop picking out bits of my topic issue:rolleyes: the issue has always been about the height of bed from the floor, if the bed is too high within the design interior space of the vehicle it will always decrease the gap from the lockers/ceiling wouldn't it??? perhaps I should remove the lockers as well??:LOL:

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Anyway thanks to all who took the interest to post their views.......it has helped me decide what is the best course of action:):):):)

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
gap to cupboards 20.5 inches gap without cupboard 31 inches
Regards
Jim

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
gap to cupboards 20.5 inches gap without cupboard 31 inches
Regards
Jim
Thanks JimboT, gap to underside of cupboards is 13" to the ceiling is 28"...... looks like what we need is the up and down system as fitted in some Chausson's and certain model Dethleffs...me things is it all worth it? shame as the Dethleffs appear to be a very well made motorhome but I suppose everyone has a gripe to tell and something not to their liking.......over and out:cry::):)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Theirs no head scratching required Jim you just need to stop picking out bits of my topic issue:rolleyes: the issue has always been about the height of bed from the floor, if the bed is too high within the design interior space of the vehicle it will always decrease the gap from the lockers/ceiling wouldn't it??? perhaps I should remove the lockers as well??:LOL:

If you had said it was the gap between the lockers and the mattress in your first post it would have been clear what the problem was.. you made no mention of this until Minx figured it out, and I agreed and that it had me scratching my head trying to figure out what the problem was and trying to offer a solution ..

... made us think it was just access from the floor that was the issue ... if we'd known from the start it was to do with the 'head banging' too it would have helped to offer a more viable solution - at least you appear to have got an answer now to your specific problem. (y)

other posters were also confused by offering advice about the step height and how to make it higher.. no one else figured it was the head room that was the issue and not the step height.

I never picked any bits out of your topic issue.. only tried to understand what your issue was..

glad you have it sorted..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay, last suggestion! I've had a shuftie at the web to see how your bed base is supported in the garage, if it is similar to the photos below then it might actually not be that difficult to move down for whilst you have it, and then be moved back up again when you come to sell. Might be worth removing a piece of the trim and see what's behind it ...

d1.JPG

d2.jpg

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Okay, last suggestion! I've had a shuftie at the web to see how your bed base is supported in the garage, if it is similar to the photos below then it might actually not be that difficult to move down for whilst you have it, and then be moved back up again when you come to sell. Might be worth removing a piece of the trim and see what's behind it ...

View attachment 44001
View attachment 44002
you got it!!!!! thats exactly what I'm going to do! where did
If you had said it was the gap between the lockers and the mattress in your first post it would have been clear what the problem was.. you made no mention of this until Minx figured it out, and I agreed and that it had me scratching my head trying to figure out what the problem was and trying to offer a solution ..

other posters were also confused by offering advice about the step height and how to make it higher.. no one else figured it was the head room that was the issue and not the step height.

I never picked any bits out of your topic issue.. only tried to understand what your issue was..

glad you have it sorted..
Sorry Jim, its still about the height of the bed!!!! I never mentioned the height of the steps, where did I mention in my topic about the steps being a problem?? nor did I say that the lockers were two low in relation to the bed, sorry Jim you really must learn to read the topics more carefully before making ascertains that my topic is vague:( , have you got a Transverse bed? I think not! .....best we leave it at that as we seem to be going up different paths!!!:):)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ScotJimland is correct.

When I put the slats that I have already suggested on my boat the reason was to prevent condensation. They worked perfectly everyday for 3 years! They will not raise the bed much more than an inch or so.

Don't forget we are trying to help you here :eek:

well said..

it's always nice when you get thanked for trying to help..:(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
you got it!!!!! thats exactly what I'm going to do! where did

Sorry Jim, its still about the height of the bed!!!! I never mentioned the height of the steps, where did I mention in my topic about the steps being a problem?? nor did I say that the lockers were two low in relation to the bed, sorry Jim you really must learn to read the topics more carefully before making ascertains that my topic is vague:( , have you got a Transverse bed? I think not! .....best we leave it at that as we seem to be going up different paths!!!:):)
I think you are being unfair to Jim there - he wasn't the ONLY one who thought you were having difficulty getting INTO the bed due to the height - that is the MOST COMMON problem people have and without any more specific information, a logical assumption to make. Indeed I, and others, thought the same it appears and NOT ONE thought it was the distance between the top of the bed and the underside of the lockers!

So, IMV your OP was a bit 'vague' - if you had been clearer about exactly what you were hoping to achieve we would all have been more 'on track' and offer solutions which were more appropriate - therefore you can include ME in with Jim ... and as for your latter comment ... I DO have a transverse bed (had several actually)!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, we were ONLY trying to help!!! :)

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I think you are being unfair to Jim there - he wasn't the ONLY one who thought you were having difficulty getting INTO the bed due to the height - that is the MOST COMMON problem people have and without any more specific information, a logical assumption to make. Indeed I, and others, thought the same it appears and NOT ONE thought it was the distance between the top of the bed and the underside of the lockers!

So, IMV your OP was a bit 'vague' - if you had been clearer about exactly what you were hoping to achieve we would all have been more 'on track' and offer solutions which were more appropriate - therefore you can include ME in with Jim ... and as for your latter comment ... I DO have a transverse bed (had several actually)!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, we were ONLY trying to help!!! :)
__________________________________________________________---
"Due to the height of our transverse bed from the floor of our motorhome" .......why did you assume anything ?? "who thought you " I was very specific in the topic what I wanted, there was no need to assume there was a further motive......please let us finish here before we may get personal:(:(

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I think if you look back at the thread you will see that most contributors had started from the "wrong" point, so perhaps you weren't as clear as you now suggest. Nevertheless I consider it a bit off to berate those that tried to help - perhaps the mood on motorhomefacts might match your vibe better?

What do I know I'm pissed in the Mosel Valley!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think if you look back at the thread you will see that most contributors had started from the "wrong" point, so perhaps you weren't as clear as you now suggest. Nevertheless I consider it a bit off to berate those that tried to help - perhaps the mood on motorhomefacts might match your vibe better?

What do I know I'm pissed in the Mosel Valley!
Naughty ... drinking and 'tablets' should NOT be mixed (assuming its not a laptop!) :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back