Transporting a dog. (2 Viewers)

May 29, 2014
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
5 berth coachbuilt
Exp
Complete novice.
Complete novice with my first weekend trip coming up to familiarise myself with the new motorhome and its workings etc. We will be taking a rather large dog that I would prefer to keep off the seats. In the car the dog is tethered with a harness attached to the seat belt. Any sensible suggestions as to how we can keep the dog restrained and safe on our journey please.:Confused:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Put a large blanket on the seats, and drive with piece of mind. Otherwise, you will not enjoy your first trip, worrying about the dog getting out of the fridge, or wherever you were thinking of storing it. :thumb:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Ours are mid size terriers and we harness the two and clip them to the seat belt anchors in between the driver and passenger seats... :thumb:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
our german sheperd used to just lay down and chill,,,,,once your dog knows not to get on the seats you should be ok......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 30, 2012
Frampton, West Dorset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Initially poor Hari was in a harness sat on a blanket on one of the travelling seats clipped into the seatbelt, she HATED it!! She used to physically shake :cry:

Now we put her bed just behind our seats in the middle where we can reach her, still in her harness with a webbing strap and clip keeping her from wandering anywhere. She's now as happy as larry ::bigsmile:

She's quite a big lump at 23kgs

terryandelaine

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Malton
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euro Yacht 180
Exp
Maybe a cover over the seat and the same car harness arrangement whilst driving. RSPCA website suggest harness or travelling crate. Where on earth you would store the travelling crate for a big dog is another issue!

kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
We have a cage for ours that is placed between the seats in the U shaped lounge. :thumb:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We live fast and wild...our Scottish terrier ruby just sleeps in her bed between the front seats.

I once asked haggers where his massive dog sleeps in the van he said "where ever she wants!"

Enjoy your trip.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
So many useful suggestions, thank you all. Glad to be on board!

Your welcome! If you need any other tips on what to keep in the fridge, just shout!! :thumb::winky::winky:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we travel with 3 staffies..... 2 clipped into an extra seatbelt clip bolted through the floor, the other into one of the seatbelts in the dinette area. seatbelt clip sourced via a vehicle dismantler on ebay for £5. all 3 wear harnesses and use leads with seatbelt clips built in, about £8 each on ebay for a good one

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
we make dinette into bed for ours

In the last van we put the dog cage between the dinette seats. This time we have a dog crate and have secured it to the seat belt mountings with dog harness clips. Road testing it tomorrow with a man spaniel and a mutt, so hope it works ok.

It was one of the reasons we got the new bus - much, much bigger lounge and plenty of room to both relax and for the mutts.

It is only a nasty rumour put about by Dawn B that it was purchased because it has an industrial size grog fridge :winky:

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Put the owners in the fridge and let the dogs drive

Great idea. Not practical and a bit chilly (my man nips would stick out) but a great suggestion all the same and completely in keeping with the usual off topic drifts that this site is known for :thumb:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
careful someone might call us stupid again.and I still cant see whats wrong with roadkill.:Cool:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
you can get these in a bigger size for dogs
download (1).jpg

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
my rottie always travels in a cage , even though he comes to work with me daily in the van he still hates traveling so he gets left in kennels when taking the motorhome away,

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Our spaniel is the other way around - he is obsessed with cars and the van and is in there every opportunity. He hates the kennels or the thought of being left behind and just loves travelling. Can never figure out why some dogs love it and others don't

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We got big carabina type clips and attached the webbing strip and ring that is designed to go on the seat belt for when the dog wold normally travel sitting in a seat. We then attached one to each of the seat belt connectors low down between the front seats. The dog's harness can then be attached to these and our two lie between the seats and grumble at one another like kids on the back seat.
Our dogs are fairly small but climbing into the back over them is still a bit more athletic than my joints appreciate. That's the only drawback.
Happy travelling!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back