Translating German to English and vice versa. (1 Viewer)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Could some very kind person explain to me in simple terms how to translate different languages.
The reason that I’m asking is that I’ve joined a German forum for Globecar campervans and they’ve asked me to translate English to German so that them that cannot speaks English can understand and join in.

Thank you.

John.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I’m confused (happens frequently). If it’s a German forum, why is it the people who can’t speak English who can’t join in, rather than the ones who can’t speak German?

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’m confused (happens frequently). If it’s a German forum, why is it the people who can’t speak English who can’t join in, rather than the ones who can’t speak German?

Some can’t understand what I’m posting.

John.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Google translate may be better than nothing......but only just.
When we’ve used it for Portuguese,which Mrs P is trying to learn,it sometimes comes up with rubbish. So need to be careful!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
autoroutress has a working knowledge of French, German and Spanish. She always uses Reverso. It usually gives more than one translation. If you reverse-translate each one back to English, you can tell if it's what you meant or not.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I had a real problem many years ago when I needed elements of an instruction manual translated from German. The languages department at the college, where German was taught, couldn't help because there are significant differences between everyday German and technical German, apparently.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
autoroutress has a working knowledge of French, German and Spanish. She always uses Reverso. It usually gives more than one translation. If you reverse-translate each one back to English, you can tell if it's what you meant or not.

Reverso link:
Broken Link Removed

What these both said. Best I've found & also do the reverse translate to check .

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
These automatic translators can do a really crappy job, sometimes, though, look at campercontact for proof. And they don’t need a third party, people can do it for themselves. The only reliable way to translate between two languages is to be competent in both languages.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Could some very kind person explain to me in simple terms how to translate different languages.
The reason that I’m asking is that I’ve joined a German forum for Globecar campervans and they’ve asked me to translate English to German so that them that cannot speaks English can understand and join in.

Thank you.

John.
LOL Bet you never seen that coming !

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

Thank you.

John.
Dont tell him Pike !
Sag es ihm nicht Pike
erzählen Sie ihm nicht Pike

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
These automatic translators can do a really crappy job, sometimes, though, look at campercontact for proof. And they don’t need a third party, people can do it for themselves. The only reliable way to translate between two languages is to be competent in both languages.

Agree entirely. Some of the automated translations I've seen are complete nonsense. Use one of these tools, by all means, just as long as you remember that you may not have actually said what you intended to say :LOL:.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When I posted on the German Possl forum about my cracked shower tray I translated it into German with Google but started my first posting was an apology that I had had to do so as I knew it would be 'crappy' at best! It was okay though as they got the gist of what I was asking and I was able to get the gist when I translated their replies.

PS: Germany for windscreen wipers ... der flippenfloppenmuckenspreaden ... (y);)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I am on 2 German Whatsapp groups, and it will run google translate.. if i open german sites , my laptop asks if i want to translate.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
When I posted on the German Possl forum about my cracked shower tray I translated it into German with Google but started my first posting was an apology that I had had to do so as I knew it would be 'crappy' at best! It was okay though as they got the gist of what I was asking and I was able to get the gist when I translated their replies.

PS: Germany for windscreen wipers ... der flippenfloppenmuckenspreaden ... (y);)

Try to explain what 'gist' is to a German. LOL

I was questioned in customs at Berlin airport as to what the parts were in my suitcase... zwei anti-hoppingskerplung .

Gotta love German , slipper clutches.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I use google translate in several languages on a daily basis. My best advice is not to write in full (read over complicated) English. Shorten every sentence down as much as possible to the absolute minimum and keep things simple and direct.

example:

A) I was wondering if someone could help me with the following xxxxx

or

B) Please help xxxxx

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don’t forget that when translating from German to English the word “This” becomes “ Zis”.

It all makes sense then(y)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Go on Skype click the globe click German speak and it will come out German the other end. I did this in Chinese mandarin to Terry L

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Google Translate is good. I had to visit the Doctor in Spain and we did the whole appointment using google translate. Some of it was a bit hit and miss and you had to read it a couple of times to make sense of it but the basics were there.

Google Translate es bueno. Tuve que visitar al Doctor en España e hicimos la cita completa usando el servicio de traducción de Google. Algo fue un poco al azar y tuvo que leerlo un par de veces para darle sentido, pero los conceptos básicos estaban allí.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Google Translate is good. I had to visit the Doctor in Spain and we did the whole appointment using google translate. Some of it was a bit hit and miss and you had to read it a couple of times to make sense of it but the basics were there.

Google Translate es bueno. Tuve que visitar al Doctor en España e hicimos la cita completa usando el servicio de traducción de Google. Algo fue un poco al azar y tuvo que leerlo un par de veces para darle sentido, pero los conceptos básicos estaban allí.

And there was me thinking 'un par de veces' meant 'a pair of cows'. Tricky business this language malarkey.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Try to explain what 'gist' is to a German. LOL

I was questioned in customs at Berlin airport as to what the parts were in my suitcase... zwei anti-hoppingskerplung .

Gotta love German , slipper clutches.
The good old days when you could take tools in hand luggage. " What is this ?" A socket set
" & this ?" a 1/2" torque wrench :D2
Don’t forget that when translating from German to English the word “This” becomes “ Zis”.

It all makes sense then(y)
Was is das?:unsure:

And there was me thinking 'un par de veces' meant 'a pair of cows'. Tricky business this language malarkey.
Un par de Vacas :LOL: a couple of cows.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I use google translate in several languages on a daily basis. My best advice is not to write in full (read over complicated) English. Shorten every sentence down as much as possible to the absolute minimum and keep things simple and direct.

example:

A) I was wondering if someone could help me with the following xxxxx

or

B) Please help xxxxx

This is exactly what I was to say.
Simple sentences, no which, that, hence, therefore etc....
You can also make a simple drawing if you want to refer to some specific part whether it's habitation or engine. Google can be fine as long as you make things easy for it.
French is also a difficult language, and I have seen so many crappy translations .... now I keep sending Google corrections, in order to improve , but what a work!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
A good test is to get the translator to translate what it has created back into English. If it still makes sense, there's a good chance it make sense to them also. But, if you get "water sheep" back where you started with "hydraulic ram", you know you've got problems.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Exhaust pipe :-
Spitzenbangenpoppenfartentuben..
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

PS. Seriously though, if anyone DOES get stuck, I can do a bit of translation to help.
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back