Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Having trouble finding winter camping tyres for our twin rear wheel mrk 7 transit as the originals are starting to age crack and are van tyres
Sizes are 185/75/16 104/102r

Any help would be great thanks Matt

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have Yokohama all season from Black Circles on our RWD dual wheel Transit. They are M+S and snowflake marked.
They are a very good snow tyre. Havent had the chains out since getting them.
A bargain too!

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
BTW, you wont get camper tyres in that size.
There is no need anyway. The dual rear wheel layout reduces tyre pressures considerably. We run 65 front and 45 rear on our 3850kg chassis.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Of course, my suspicion is that 'camper tyres' are an evil extortion racket between Fiat/Peugeot and the tyre companies!!!:reel:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
955matt

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks I'll look in to those , I need to make sure they are ok up to 4000 kg which is what are van is plated at. Matt

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are you expecting some snow then ???????

I bought a set of chains for my car two years ago.....Chrysler 300s are notoriously bad i snow......never been out of the box 'cos it aint snowed since here in Sunny Scarborough.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks I'll look in to those , I need to make sure they are ok up to 4000 kg which is what are van is plated at. Matt

Your 4 tonne chassis will be well within the capabilities of the Yokohamas. Without looking, from memory the load ratings were very generous.

The original tyres on out Transit were Pirelli Citynet, they started showing sidewall cracking at only 5 years after their DOT code date. There was hardly any wear on the tread since they had only covered 12k miles in the 3 years since first registration.
The cracking wasn't because they weren't 'camper' tyres, it was simply because the tyres were crap!

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've just ordered some tyres from Asda to be fitted this afternoon.
I have gone down the route of JonandShells comment and voted with my pocket.
The new ones are within the speed rating for the 'van and within the load rating and came in at half the price of those super duper 'Camping Tyres"
Whats more, the fuel efficiency rating is two rungs up the ladder from the Michelins and the wet grip is the same. I can live with the two extra decibels. I'll just turn the radio up!!!

Took me ages to find out (the date stamps were on the inside of the tyre fitment). It turns out that our Furst Reg 20th Sept 2007 'van is running on Week 1 2006 tyres. No wonder they were cracking:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I've just ordered some tyres from Asda to be fitted this afternoon.
I have gone down the route of JonandShells comment and voted with my pocket.
The new ones are within the speed rating for the 'van and within the load rating and came in at half the price of those super duper 'Camping Tyres"
Whats more, the fuel efficiency rating is two rungs up the ladder from the Michelins and the wet grip is the same. I can live with the two extra decibels. I'll just turn the radio up!!!

Took me ages to find out (the date stamps were on the inside of the tyre fitment). It turns out that our Furst Reg 20th Sept 2007 'van is running on Week 1 2006 tyres. No wonder they were cracking:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Don't blame me if the new ones are no good though!!!!!:imoutahere:

Last edited:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i got Conti vango winter 2 , 225 x 70 16 wall rating116 , for uplated van 4 ton , cost £340 for 4 brand new tyres off ebay cost £20 to get all 4 fitted .( plus a tin of bicuits ,,, )
Really pleased with them , good driving grip and feel , lost around 2/3 mpg could not tell any differance in road noise ( was on Conti vango C ) much quieter than Michelin ,

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Having trouble finding winter camping tyres for our twin rear wheel mrk 7 transit as the originals are starting to age crack and are van tyres
Sizes are 185/75/16 104/102r

Any help would be great thanks Matt

I can confirm the Yokahamas are exactly the same load/speed index.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Don't blame me if the new ones are no good though!!!!!:imoutahere:

Wouldn't dream of blaming anyone Jon but, as they have said in the past, van tyres have to be made to suit the purpose and that includes driving over half bricks on building sites, being loaded up to the gunwales and beyond and being used and abused on a daily basis.
Whilst it's fair to say that Camper tyres do have additional strengthening in the side walls to counteract against being laid up on one spot, I have no intention of either allowing the new tyres to be sat there looking ugly for extended periods or driving over rocky, rough terrain.
In addition, I hate being screwed in the financial sense:Eeek:. How can the average tyre manufacturer charge what they charge extra for a Camper tyre when it is but a very small part of the overall cost of manufacture.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back