Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all, I'm looking for help if possible.
Knowing nothing at all about Motorhomes I'm looking around trying to find something suitable. Not sure at all if I'm on the right track but this is how far I've got:-
I was thinking of getting something based along the lines of Ducato/Peugeot/Citroen and had a quick look at some of the reviews of the vans that use this type of chassis. I must admit I was a bit downhearted to read so many problematic experiences so I've shifted my attention to a Transit. (I'm a Vauxhall man really)
I know they can be rust buckets, but having hired a few over the years I've always found them to be reliable and sufficiently powerful, so I was thinking of something like this:-

Link Removed

I'm not mechanical. Would this be powerful enough?
Also need clarification of the 3,500 Kg MTPLM.
Any comments or advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Geoff

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
That would be a more than adequate campervan conversion, at a good price and reasonable mileage for the year. That's the 125bhp Duratorq engine, and that conversion will be well within the 3500kg limit. As long as you change the engine oil every 3000 miles, that should go on for ever.

If I didn't have one already, I'd buy that.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My opinion is that it is over priced .. the base vehicle trade value is around £2500 - £3000.

The conversion looks ok, but who by, is it a home build ? Nothing wrong with a good home conversion but they don't sell so easily nor hold their value.

Mileage suspect .. the van is 9 years old.. had three owners, the first owner would have kept for 2 -3 years and used commercial, why only 65k and can this be proved ?

I think you can do a lot better for the the same money ..

just my opinion .. no doubt this will be contended.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geoff956

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
That would be a more than adequate campervan conversion, at a good price and reasonable mileage for the year. That's the 125bhp Duratorq engine, and that conversion will be well within the 3500kg limit. As long as you change the engine oil every 3000 miles, that should go on for ever.

If I didn't have one already, I'd buy that.

Thanks very much for your reply which is very encouraging. Not sure of the implications of the 3500kg limit. Is it the weight limit that some people can drive?
I'm 68 by the way and have been driving for nearly 50 years.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I agree with Jim :thumb:although it looks a half decent conversion :thumb: carpet on the walls is a big no no for me What are they hiding under the carpet ?
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geoff956

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks again for your comments - and a few points I hadn't thought of.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Looks a nice conversion but top dollar, carpet on walls looks OK, used for insulation and decor, doubt if any gremlins are underneath as its a tin body.

Mileage does need checking.

You can at the moment drive over 3500kg so no problems

Peter

Upvote 0

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
MTLPM is the Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass, stick to 3500kg and you'll be OK. Above that and you would be required to take a medical at age 70.
Geoff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geoff956

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
MTLPM is the Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass, stick to 3500kg and you'll be OK. Above that and you would be required to take a medical at age 70.
Geoff.

Thanks very much Geoff

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi all, I'm looking for help if possible.
Knowing nothing at all about Motorhomes I'm looking around trying to find something suitable. Not sure at all if I'm on the right track but this is how far I've got:-
I was thinking of getting something based along the lines of Ducato/Peugeot/Citroen and had a quick look at some of the reviews of the vans that use this type of chassis. I must admit I was a bit downhearted to read so many problematic experiences so I've shifted my attention to a Transit. (I'm a Vauxhall man really)
I know they can be rust buckets, but having hired a few over the years I've always found them to be reliable and sufficiently powerful, so I was thinking of something like this:-

Link Removed

I'm not mechanical. Would this be powerful enough?
Also need clarification of the 3,500 Kg MTPLM.
Any comments or advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Geoff

Could it be that one of the reasons there are more negative reviews on Ducato/Peugeot/Citroen is just because they have such a huge share of the market that pro rata there will be far more reviews, both good and bad.

I have had 3 with no problems at all....:thumb:

Upvote 0

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Transit Mk 6....conversion

Hi., If its any help we have a Transit Mk 6 [56 plate]..Its quite a large M/Home at just under 7mts. and a max weight of 3500. and Twin rear wheel drive.
Nothing but praise for this well tried and tested 125 engine....Sqillions of them pounding the roads...[White van man!!] comes to mind. + ours also tows a 'Toad' .Performance has been most acceptable...circa 25 mpg whilst towing and AUTOMATIC as well:Smile:.

The pics' in the ad seem to display a 'Tidy' vehicle but no doubt you will have it thoroughly 'Tested' by an Engineer type person.
If the Base vehicle is then given the OK..its up to you to ENJOY if you buy it.:thumb:
Hope this assists you....
David & Liz

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geoff956

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I suppose we have to glean what we can from reviews. Some say that those with bad experiences are more inclined to post than those with good experiences.
As a point of interest I also checked out reviews of the Toyota Hiace (vans). I've never seen such an array of 5 stars. Must mean something.
Nice to hear you've had 3 with no trouble. Long may that continue!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geoff956

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Without wishing to labor the weight thing, I'm looking at several Transit vehicles and they're talking about 'Gross Vehicle weight'.
Is that the actual unladen weight? If so, some are around 3000KG and If I'll be limited to 3500 KG in 2 years time (at 70) that doesn't seem a lot of headroom.
Or is 'Gross Vehicle Weght' the same as 'MTPLM'?
Thanks for your patience, these things are confusing at first.

Upvote 0

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Gross vehicle weight (GVW), Maximum technically permitted laden mass (MTPLM) and indeed Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) as it is now being referred to are all exactly the same thing and relate to the weight of the vehicle complete with all equipment and occupants carried.
Geoff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geoff956

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
A last thought though - so you'd have to know the weight of the vehicle before you put your gear in?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Don't suppose you could elaborate????

EGR valves will always fail. On Tranny Mk6 there is no electronic sensing, so you can block them off and not have any crud going into your engine. MK7 you can't. See
http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2010/10/engine-problem-lack-of-power-stalling-etc/ for info.

That van looks sound, no pic of loo, and lacks a shower. I think its a very good price indeed, and better condition (appears to be!) than most in that price range.

Engine says 125 2.4l - but I THOUGHT it was 125 on a 2 litre (which we have and is superb, 35 mpg) - and the 2.4 is differenet power? I may be wrong. Service on 125 2ltr is 15,000 miles (not 3,000!). THese vans prefer being used, so I would check to make sure it has been serviced regardless of miles.

Driver seat can be converted to rotate.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
PS - Weight you will be fine. That conversion looks "light". Ours looks "heavier" (e.g. oak frame, very thick ply) as well as water, backbox, snow boards, mountain bikes etc - and we weigh 2.8t (on a 280 van fortunaltey!). On a 3.5 van you'll have, I guess, a tonne payload.

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
EGR valves will always fail. On Tranny Mk6 there is no electronic sensing, so you can block them off and not have any crud going into your engine. MK7 you can't. See
http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2010/10/engine-problem-lack-of-power-stalling-etc/ for info.

That van looks sound, no pic of loo, and lacks a shower. I think its a very good price indeed, and better condition (appears to be!) than most in that price range.

Engine says 125 2.4l - but I THOUGHT it was 125 on a 2 litre (which we have and is superb, 35 mpg) - and the 2.4 is differenet power? I may be wrong. Service on 125 2ltr is 15,000 miles (not 3,000!). THese vans prefer being used, so I would check to make sure it has been serviced regardless of miles.

Driver seat can be converted to rotate.

It's the Duratorq 2.4 engine, and they come in a variety of bhp and torque settings, starting at 90 bhp and going up to 130 bhp, all from 2.4 litres.

Engine Oil on the Duratorq engine that does very few miles a year is recommended to be changed at 3000 miles, which probably means annually.

The drivers seat can be converted to rotate only if it's a front wheel drive Duratorq. If it's rear wheel drive, only if the handbrake is moved to the drivers side door step cutout.

For any further answers to similar questions, try here.....
http://fordtransit.org/forum/index.php

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Looks ok.. yes.. but with:

No toilet compartment. (cassette toilet is probably stored under the rear single seat)

No shower, no water heater, no blown air heating, no wardrobe, and no mention of waste and fresh water tanks, nor do I see a gas locker .. but it has a microwave and perhaps a gas heater mounted on the wall below..

I still think it as over priced but each to their own.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As mentioned earlier it is common for EGR valves to stick on these, so check for black smoke when revving. Also I know that the fuel injectors are a major weak area on the 2.0 and 2.2ltr Transit and are very expensive to replace. My last Transit had a full new set at about 18000 under the Ford warranty otherwise it would have been around a grand to sort them. I dont know if they are an issue on the 2.4ltr though.

It does seem to be the new Ducato X250 that has reliability issues, the last of the 2.8JTD engined vans are good, they got the gearbox right and the engines are very highly rated by the trade.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the loo is in the passenger side rear from what I can make out -it looks like it is enclosed in up to waist height so no shower and you would have to close all the blinds/curtains before you use the loo :winky: As Jim says no mention of water heater or van heater or tanks for fresh/waste it is a (what I call ) bare camper.There are a couple of creases in the carpet/felt lining around the windows and the fridge door is left blank (no matching finished board)All in all add another £1000 plus to the price to get a water heater and blown air heating and you have a van that is now looking like a day van without a shower or tanks and as such it is getting more expensive :Eeek:Admittedly you can use a kettle for hot water and a £16 / 20 leccy heater will do the trick :thumb:but as it is I stick by my first impression (along with Jims) it is a bit pricey for what it is and Geoff could do better for the money :thumb: Don't forget he is a newby and as such needs to be careful as to which advise he takes on-board.:thumb:
If the van had everything in it then yes it would be a bargain provided you only stayed on sites :winky:As it is provided you go in with your eyes open yes it is no more than OK for the money
van 2.5 / 3k
windows 800
fridge 450
cooker / sink 400
loo 300
roof lights 100
microwave 50
cupboards 500
seating etc 500
ABOUT 6 K IN TOTAL so leaving about 2.5 /3 k profit for the converter :winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geoff956

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks very much to everyone for their advice. Lots there I would never have thought of and definitely makes the decision easier.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Geoff, why not give the owner a call ? you never know (without looking) if he has hot and cold water/tanks on board.Same goes for the heating :thumb: If you can live without a shower/private loo it may be worth a visit if it has these in it.The seller may just not be very good at selling.If nothing else it gives you a good indicator for what you want :thumb: One other thing which would deffo kill it in my books is the bed across the van is only max 5 ft 10 ins which is fine for a night or two but after that I need to stretch out :ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Geoff, why not give the owner a call ?
terry

the cabinet work should be well done .. he's a chippie :thumb:

J S Carpentry Maintenance - Carpenters in Shrewsbury SY3 7EB

Classification:

* Line of Business: Carpentry Work
* Market Sector: Carpenters

Address:
17 Lime Street
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
SY3 7EB

* Telephone: 01743 341 620
* Fax: 01743 341 620

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:thumb: That's why I said looks half decent conversion :thumb:Looking at the pics I cannot fault his woodwork :Smile: Only the carpet covered walls spoil it for me :winky: and perhaps more thought into the layout ::bigsmile: with a few more overhead cupboards could make it nicer :Doh:-- THE CONVERTER MAY OFFER A WATER HEATER AND VAN HEATER to be fitted for extra money, but then it becomes like we have already said -not so cheap van :winky:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back