Transferring Spanish plated MH to UK plates (1 Viewer)

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
After six years in Spain it is now time to return to UK. Does anyone know what the procedure is for transferring our Spanish registered and plated motorhome to UK plates once we return.
Like most things in Spain the de-registering process appears to be cumbersome and time consuming if you decide to do it.

atb

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't know if it is still the same but a few years ago I was trying to get UK plates on my Portuguese Iveco... there was talk of manufacturers type certificate thingys and all sorts of other hoops to jump through...

I muttered something about it hardly being worth all the trouble for an old camper van and the man on the end of the phone said...

"Camper van... it is a motor caravan? Why didn't you say... that will be £60 please..."

Job done... :thumb:

(To get it back to Portuguese as I want to now... there is a really tricky and expensive procedure...:Eeek:)

JJ

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Neil n Pat
Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
I don't know if it is still the same but a few years ago I was trying to get UK plates on my Portuguese Iveco... there was talk of manufacturers type certificate thingys and all sorts of other hoops to jump through...

I muttered something about it hardly being worth all the trouble for an old camper van and the man on the end of the phone said...

"Camper van... it is a motor caravan? Why didn't you say... that will be £60 please..."

Job done... :thumb:

(To get it back to Portuguese as I want to now... there is a really tricky and expensive procedure...:Eeek:)

JJ

Thanks for the details... when you mentioned it was an old motorhome was it older than ten years ? According to the DVLA it must be less than ten years old to get registered in UK. This prerequiste has certainly thrown a spanner in the works for the great escape as ours is ten years old:cry:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the details... when you mentioned it was an old motorhome was it older than ten years ? According to the DVLA it must be less than ten years old to get registered in UK. This prerequiste has certainly thrown a spanner in the works for the great escape as ours is ten years old:cry:

I can remember them asking but yes... it was well under 10 years old... sorry about that...

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not sure if its correct about the ten years old bit. my mate just registered a german m,bike here just got it mot,d went to the dvla office . and did it .they came outside looked at it and three days later got his log book and tax disc.
i did similar when i brought a bike back from gibralter.
and years ago when i imported cars from germany . just took the german paper work andf a new mot. sometimes there was a little bit of duty but i think thats finished now if they are from the eu,

if you google dft how to import a vehicle into the uk .there is lots of info there its really straight forward .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Dont know if anything has changed from what has been already said above, but

Imported a Peugeot 107 from Belgium last year, and one thing DVLA insisted on was if i remember right was a "Certificate of Conformity".... and proof of purchase...

Filled in a few forms got an MOT, which for the headlights, instead of the expense of changing the complete light clusters, did what we do when we go to the continent... put tape on the headlights to deflect the Beam... :thumb:

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Lights

Dont know if anything has changed from what has been already said above, but

Imported a Peugeot 107 from Belgium last year, and one thing DVLA insisted on was if i remember right was a "Certificate of Conformity".... and proof of purchase...

Filled in a few forms got an MOT, which for the headlights, instead of the expense of changing the complete light clusters, did what we do when we go to the continent... put tape on the headlights to deflect the Beam... :thumb:
Ref headlights above Thats illegal if staying in UK. My Bro in Law retured 6 months ago and had to buy and replace his headlights. Stickers are for temporary visits.:Eeek:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ref headlights above Thats illegal if staying in UK. My Bro in Law retured 6 months ago and had to buy and replace his headlights. Stickers are for temporary visits.:Eeek:
correct, as stated in my link.....

To be eligible the vehicle should be :

1.) No more than 10 years old.

2.) Of a construction that is 'recognised in the UK'. (Almost all European Manufactured vehicles will be - this clause is really to identify any modified, customised or kit-built vehicles)

3.) Fitted with the correct headlights.

Once you have ascertained that your vehicle meets the above criteria you can move on to the next steps :

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
only this year a m,bike 81 yamaha just took it to the dvla . had an mot on the frame number . and proof of the year by a recognized authoruty . done .easy. i was with him we took it down on my bike spec on the back of the truck.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back